onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, Rocky said:

My memory isn't as good as it used to be but I'm pretty sure the home game against these was Hall's first home game and he smashed into the post and had to be subbed off and Martin come on.

I think we had a back 3 of Smith, Hall and Walker starting that game and there was no Proctor and Hussey started, so our side will look a little different and stronger than January if Garrity starts too.

The first half against Barrow was pretty bad, made them look good. We just kept giving the ball away. We seem to struggle at times to play across the floor and our default is hoof it up. I suspect it's because we have a team of 6ft+ players in most positions but we were just giving them the ball back unnecessarily. 

James Wilson, wow. I posted the video of the second goal on Twitter. What impressed me the most wasn't the shift and move he does on the by-line, it was racing back in the 89th minute to win the ball and then screams at Charsley where to pass it. Nobody can deny the guy has massively improved his fitness this season. The first half he could barely play more than an hour, 

We've struggled against teams that sit in, Exeter being a good example (even though their backline was very good). We don't have the creativity to unlock defences that just sit back. We play much better when teams are going for the win too. Salford I think will go for it, they need the 3 points to stay with the play off pack, a point won't be enough with games running out. 

I wonder where we sit in the table of teams that have come from behind and won this season? We've done it three times in about the last month. A massive sign of unity and fight in this team and it's great to see a Vale team that doesn't know when it's beaten.

Good post mate. Hall debut was Swindon kung fu match. 

Off top off my head both Barrow games and both Crawley games we were losing and won. Mansfield, Orient are another two. So we've definitely got fighting spirit and certainly when we go a goal behind it's not all doom and gloom.

Other than the Swindon defeat I mentioned every other defeat has been by 1 goal so we've been in every game 

Advert

31 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Good post mate. Hall debut was Swindon kung fu match. 

Off top off my head both Barrow games and both Crawley games we were losing and won. Mansfield, Orient are another two. So we've definitely got fighting spirit and certainly when we go a goal behind it's not all doom and gloom.

Other than the Swindon defeat I mentioned every other defeat has been by 1 goal so we've been in every game 

Thanks mate!

Ah yes that makes sense, Swindon is the only game I've missed this season at home, I had Covid symptoms but a blessing in disguise in retrospect.

We have been incredibly efficient this season and with a very small squad of players too. Smith, Garrity, Pett being the only ones I can think of that haven't been sidelined through injury or form. EDIT: Long-term injury.

Someone replied to me on Twitter the other day and said Martin has been good but he's only in the side due to injuries. I don't think thats true. Jones was benched after his red card and before he was injured and if Gibbo is fit he will play as LWB or even RWB before he plays in a back 3. 

Walker has that ability to ping a long ball to run on to if needed, some of the ones he did against Sutton were outrageous. 

Still a lot of games to play but a win tomorrow and a Forest Green win would calm my nerves a little.

Salford won 4 in a row so they going be bouncing we won 5 out of last 6 and the other game was supposed be played in Dec v Exeter 

Benfica v Liverpool whoever v whoever there is no bigger game than Salford V Vale tues night .

I feel sick with worry we must not lose as that opens door for a fair few of the teams up there there's only 5 points between us and Sutton .

I'd be happy with a point but we must not play for a point we must play for the 3 .

Shame the grounds not atmospheric (never been so wouldn't know but going on what folk have told me ).

The Vale fans need to make as much noise as possible .

This is massive in context of whether its autos or possible play offs .

We need a big performance from every player and I think what happened sat will give the players the energy commitment and desire win tomoz that late winning  goal player should have every player buzzing and the away following should be buzzing .

Long time till tues 19.45 be ready Vale .

YOU CAN DO IT 

We need fear no one ! If we continue to play as we have been doing then a win is possible, hope all the lads are at it and we can weave a bit of magic to bring home the points. A difficult match without doubt should be  good game. 

33 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, darren1810 said:
We need 26'000 from our last 3 home games to average over 6000.
Just spoke to Carol Vorderman to work it out 

Couple of 10Ks Gas and Newport?

A win tomorrow and we might get a bumper Saturday. 1400 sold by Oldham so far.

I think we're looking at a good gate on Saturday either way (about 7,500?). I'll be adding an extra one by bringing a mate from work who's a Leicester fan and has a soft spot for Vale because of/despite the fact that the first game he ever saw at Filbert Street was against Vale, a 1-0 win for us thanks to a mishit cross from JJ!

Because we won on Saturday, tomorrow is now a must-not-lose, rather than must win game for me. Not saying we play for a draw, as we invariably get beat when we do that, but I would take a point. Of the 7 games we have left, I reckon this is about the hardest (vying with Exeter away, depending on what we need when we go there) - team in form, not far below us, Tuesday night after a long slog on Saturday - so I'd defo take a point here (then a win on Saturday to probably leave us needing 10pts from the last 5). 

UTV!

A really fair and objective assessment I'd say.  When I posted last week with some possible mathematical permutations, I was working on around 18 points from the last 9 games. We've already garnered in 6 of those points, so a point tomorrow and average 2 points for the remaining 6 matches and we'd be on around 79 points.  Dependant upon the '6-pointer' games where top 9 teams meet each other, that points tally will hopefully be enough for one of the auto places, but it's going to be tight....and exciting!

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
4 hours ago, darren1810 said:
We need 26'000 from our last 3 home games to average over 6000.
Just spoke to Carol Vorderman to work it out 

Couple of 10Ks Gas and Newport?

I think we might get 7500 on Saturday, Oldham took 1000 to Stevenage.

10 distinct possibilty Good Friday and results depending the Newport gate also should be ok.

I think it's on for 26'000 in 3 games. 

30 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I think we might get 7500 on Saturday, Oldham took 1000 to Stevenage.

10 distinct possibilty Good Friday and results depending the Newport gate also should be ok.

I think it's on for 26'000 in 3 games. 

Easter Monday....😇

4 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Where do we stand with bookings at the moment? Any players near suspension?

Don't know the state of play but Walker seems to get booked every game . We definitely don't need him banned with Pett out for 3 weeks.

3 hours ago, Clayts said:

I think we're looking at a good gate on Saturday either way (about 7,500?). I'll be adding an extra one by bringing a mate from work who's a Leicester fan and has a soft spot for Vale because of/despite the fact that the first game he ever saw at Filbert Street was against Vale, a 1-0 win for us thanks to a mishit cross from JJ!

Because we won on Saturday, tomorrow is now a must-not-lose, rather than must win game for me. Not saying we play for a draw, as we invariably get beat when we do that, but I would take a point. Of the 7 games we have left, I reckon this is about the hardest (vying with Exeter away, depending on what we need when we go there) - team in form, not far below us, Tuesday night after a long slog on Saturday - so I'd defo take a point here (then a win on Saturday to probably leave us needing 10pts from the last 5). 

UTV!

It felt on Saturday after a week off that Vale were a bit slow and things weren't clicking. Having too many Saturday/Tuesday games can be damaging but I wonder if thats why it was such a bad first half on Saturday? Looked a different team in the second half and maybe their bodies had been conditioned to play on a 3 day/4 day rota and the week off had an impact?

If Garrity is back , Vale will be a different side to the one on Saturday , especially in the first half. He brings a huge amount of energy , vision and no little skill to the team. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him score on Tuesday , in a fixture that has me losing sleep already . Vale need to get stuck in right away , and we can win this. 2-1 Vale . 

Archived