onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

THE SEASON SO FAR

southport vale

Given we’re coming into the final 2 months of the season I thought I’d give my opinions on this season. I stress it’s my opinion and others will differ and I’m more than willing to read them.

Overall I feel quite delighted with how Carol and Kevin have taken Port Vale. Never in my 60 years of supporting Vale can I remember a better owner doing all the right things for Port Vale. I would say everything they have done has been positive and forward thinking I can’t think of any negativity.

Management - Revolutionary and I can remember early in the new ownership them going to other clubs to see how they did things. I’m certain in the future we’ll be the club visited to see how it’s done. Bringing management into the 21st century using modern technology to supplement decisions seems to have worked, certainly not having to worry about extinction for a change. Darrell Clarke is a supporters dream, shows he is as passionate as the fans and willing to tackle things head on. His own current welfare is of concern to all Vale fans and Carol and Kevin deserve all praise for how they have handled the situation. Back room staff have shown how much we’re together off and on the field. Andy Crosby I’ve said before is not a manger of Darrell’s level but he has done a stirling job it appears we are one club and all pulling in the same direction.

Players - 

Goalkeepers - it looks like Covolan had made one stupid error to many and at the end of the season we may find he is surplus. I feel we are pretty strong in this area but Brown was a better keeper than any of the current squad,

Defenders - Quite reliant on one or two players namely Hall and Smith. Hall definitely a great signing in January. Martin I’ve always felt was a accident waiting to happen but have to say he’s improved as the season has progressed. Brad Walker has filled in very well another who has improved.

Midfield - Probably with all players fit the best we’ve had since the Rudge years. Pett, Conlan and Garrity are as good as I’ve seen as a group together. Special mention to Garrity the best box to box man since Ian Taylor. Nice to see Benning is stepping up to the plate. I have my fingers crossed we don’t get anymore injuries. Gibbons has been fantastic so getting him back on the bench would be good. Worrall has been outstanding and defo one I wouldn’t like to see get injured. Hussey back would give us experience but it’s a shame he got injured just when he started to show form.

Attack - This is my main area of concern if either of Procter or Wilson got hurt I don’t think Harratt or Edmondson are up to their level and both can get bullied a bit. Amoo has disappointed me this season and Cooper and Hurst haven’t got it as yet.

Finally I’ll just say of all the seasons I’ve seen the Vale this is the team I’d be confident of giving everything if we got to the playoffs. At the moment the current Port Vale package from top to bottom is at least equal to the Rudge era team if not better. I am so proud of everything they (Port Vale FC) have become since Carol and Kevin took over. I’m sure whatever happens this season has elevated Vale’s standing in the football world. All I will say is keep the faith this system is working and it’s a boost to hear Darrell’s back at the club and hopefully it will give him a boost to see the lads giving their all.

Sorry I’ve gone on but I’m bursting with pride.UTV

Advert

I'd agree with majority of that post especially about the owners and the management set up and how professional we are these days .

Team I feel we have a lot more to come from them .

4th so doing well but long way go yet after 46 games the table will not lie .

Think Cooper has something to offer and I hope he gets show it in last 8 games and Amoo has being exceptional when he as entered the fray lately in my opinion .

I'd agree about Proctor and Wilson we need them both to play all remaining minutes of season to achieve whatever the club has ambitions of achieving .

Harratt and Edmondson have being generally excellent though scored big goals when required and both have played well in team play etc in the games I've attended  

Big ask though if main men get injured but in the space of six second half minutes Proctor and Harratt have won the game v Mansfield ,Edmondson has got the vital goal at Harrogate so I've got faith in all players to deliver .

UTV  

Good post but why are Benning ,Gibbons and Hussey down as midfield !! ( Unless you have taken one of Breadwinners team selections in mind ) 😁

The problem up front is quite simply that Proctor and Wilson are as nailed on as can be. It has to be someone raw who is prepared to play a waiting game. We aren't going to have 3 strikers of that quality in League 2, so it's a horses for courses.

Personally i don't think the two young loanees can be faulted at all. Nor George Lloyd who also seemed to cop a lot of undeserved flak .

They all have different attributes but all 3 of those have done well at times.

I've been very fortunate to only miss 2 games .

I can recall Lloyd at Swindon helping with a goal he also won the free kick at Mansfield from which Conlon scored, Edmonson at Carlisle played a great role in one of the goals. Harratt won us the game v Mansfield. They have done well.

No League 2 team are going to have a choice of Proctor, Wilson, Telford and Matt to choose from. 

In a nutshell, had Wilson and Proctor just played 10 games more each, the champagne would be on ice and we'd be almost there. 

13 hours ago, southport vale said:

Given we’re coming into the final 2 months of the season I thought I’d give my opinions on this season. I stress it’s my opinion and others will differ and I’m more than willing to read them.

Overall I feel quite delighted with how Carol and Kevin have taken Port Vale. Never in my 60 years of supporting Vale can I remember a better owner doing all the right things for Port Vale. I would say everything they have done has been positive and forward thinking I can’t think of any negativity.

Management - Revolutionary and I can remember early in the new ownership them going to other clubs to see how they did things. I’m certain in the future we’ll be the club visited to see how it’s done. Bringing management into the 21st century using modern technology to supplement decisions seems to have worked, certainly not having to worry about extinction for a change. Darrell Clarke is a supporters dream, shows he is as passionate as the fans and willing to tackle things head on. His own current welfare is of concern to all Vale fans and Carol and Kevin deserve all praise for how they have handled the situation. Back room staff have shown how much we’re together off and on the field. Andy Crosby I’ve said before is not a manger of Darrell’s level but he has done a stirling job it appears we are one club and all pulling in the same direction.

Players - 

Goalkeepers - it looks like Covolan had made one stupid error to many and at the end of the season we may find he is surplus. I feel we are pretty strong in this area but Brown was a better keeper than any of the current squad,

Defenders - Quite reliant on one or two players namely Hall and Smith. Hall definitely a great signing in January. Martin I’ve always felt was a accident waiting to happen but have to say he’s improved as the season has progressed. Brad Walker has filled in very well another who has improved.

Midfield - Probably with all players fit the best we’ve had since the Rudge years. Pett, Conlan and Garrity are as good as I’ve seen as a group together. Special mention to Garrity the best box to box man since Ian Taylor. Nice to see Benning is stepping up to the plate. I have my fingers crossed we don’t get anymore injuries. Gibbons has been fantastic so getting him back on the bench would be good. Worrall has been outstanding and defo one I wouldn’t like to see get injured. Hussey back would give us experience but it’s a shame he got injured just when he started to show form.

Attack - This is my main area of concern if either of Procter or Wilson got hurt I don’t think Harratt or Edmondson are up to their level and both can get bullied a bit. Amoo has disappointed me this season and Cooper and Hurst haven’t got it as yet.

Finally I’ll just say of all the seasons I’ve seen the Vale this is the team I’d be confident of giving everything if we got to the playoffs. At the moment the current Port Vale package from top to bottom is at least equal to the Rudge era team if not better. I am so proud of everything they (Port Vale FC) have become since Carol and Kevin took over. I’m sure whatever happens this season has elevated Vale’s standing in the football world. All I will say is keep the faith this system is working and it’s a boost to hear Darrell’s back at the club and hopefully it will give him a boost to see the lads giving their all.

Sorry I’ve gone on but I’m bursting with pride.UTV

Loving the positivity here and agree with all the sentiment. Also such a likeable team. Feel really connected to them which is mad considering it's mostly new players.

I think the midfield we have for league 2 is great, but wouldnt say its the best since rudge years. LDV vans midfield wins that accolade for me. Bridge-Wilkinson, Cummins and Brammer and the gang were very good. 

Since 2000 when I first started following the Vale this is up there with one of the best seasons I have experienced along with 2003/04, 2012/13 and to a degree 2019/20.

Goalkeeper is probably the only area that we've not done well with but in fairness Stone is now coming into his own.

The Signings in the main have been excellent, we had a huge turnover but now even the ones that seemed to flop like Benning are starting to come good (maybe some just take longer to adjust to a move than others), players like Charseley and Garrity have been shrewd signings and Connor Hall who I have to admit I had never heard of is an absolute quality centre half. 

We seem to have had a plan for once with signings and signed players to fit into a system and got the right type of player even if not a "steller" name hence the likes of Garrity have been such a huge success.

Overall despite huge knock backs with injuries, DC, Covid we are still 4th and fighting and its testament to everyone involved with the club, whilst failure to get promoted this season would be gutting at least we know if we do fall just short the future is bright.

• 4 weeks later...

Should we miss out this season we will surely now be one of the FAVE'S to win the league next season with a fully fit squad.....

We still have two bites of the cherry THIS season however.......

11/4 for direct Promotion......

11/10 to be promoted by EITHER method......

Not TOO shabby.......☺️

If anyone saw how devastated the players looked at the end of the game I’m sorry but I’m not having it about a lack of passion. Didn’t execute as well as they should do sure or most likely just physically spent as a result of catching up on the whole fixture backlog.

This has been one of if not the most enjoyable seasons since Rudgey was in charge for me. Great thing is whatever happens we will go into the summer knowing it’s not another rebuild but just a few tweaks to develop the squad further.

1 hour ago, Guppys left peg said:

If anyone saw how devastated the players looked at the end of the game I’m sorry but I’m not having it about a lack of passion. Didn’t execute as well as they should do sure or most likely just physically spent as a result of catching up on the whole fixture backlog.

This has been one of if not the most enjoyable seasons since Rudgey was in charge for me. Great thing is whatever happens we will go into the summer knowing it’s not another rebuild but just a few tweaks to develop the squad further.

Did you miss the 2013 promotion season under the master Micky Adams 

I never expected us to even be top half this season.

Increased crowds for the home games 

Fantastic away support 

The squad have shown togetherness and commitment 

Clarke got us playing exciting attacking football in October and November 

In the face of adversity Crosby has managed to get us challenging for promotion at this late stage 

We lost Cass and Conlon for the season, Proctor,Wilson and Gibbo for chunks of the season 

And the club is still in there fighting 

I'm proud of how Vale have performed this season

Archived