• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Sutton United

26 minutes ago, Rocky said:

It does make me laugh when people say stats don't tell the whole story but when its a stat that we've only lost 2 games when Proctor has started, fans happily laud him as an integral part of our team (which he is). Stats only seem to be relevant when it suits.

Again, not saying he is a great goalkeeper but he's not as bad as people are saying either. I think the main reason he was dropped was because of his distribution.

That’s a completely different stat. It’s completely irrelevant that Holy has a better save %. He’s not had 1 difficult save to make. If we had played the same style against the same sides with the same chances / saves I’d  listen to that stat more. No chance if Holy played against Mansfield would he have saved from smith at 2-1. Some stats are valid and some are pointless just like possession. It’s irrelevant.  Stats are relevant when they matter. I wouldn’t say he’s a dreadful keeper, but he’s the worst of the 3 IMO, for his size he’s poor off crosses, poor shot stopper and poor distribution. Thankfully he’s on loan. Go back to stone as number 1 and cov at number 2 for me. 

Advert:

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

That’s a completely different stat. It’s completely irrelevant that Holy has a better save %. He’s not had 1 difficult save to make. If we had played the same style against the same sides with the same chances / saves I’d  listen to that stat more. No chance if Holy played against Mansfield would he have saved from smith at 2-1. Some stats are valid and some are pointless just like possession. It’s irrelevant.  Stats are relevant when they matter. I wouldn’t say he’s a dreadful keeper, but he’s the worst of the 3 IMO, for his size he’s poor off crosses, poor shot stopper and poor distribution. Thankfully he’s on loan. Go back to stone as number 1 and cov at number 2 for me. 

So some stats are worth your time if it suits your opinion, gotcha.

You've somehow misunderstood my very clear post. I'm not saying Holy is a better goalkeeper than Stone, the stats was to highlight that he is nowhere near as bad as people are saying - thats it. You can't dismiss Holy's stats and then say with absolute certainty what saves Holy would have saved in a match he didn't play in, you just don't know, all we can go off is the games he has played. 

Again, not saying he is better than Stone, I would have Stone as number 1 too, I am saying he is not as bad as everyone is saying, that's it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't wait for Saturday. 280 mile round trip for me and whole tank of fuel at around a onner.  

Sadly this is my last game this season - off in to hospital a week today and then on crutches.  I'm hoping and praying that I might just be able to make the Exeter game/last match of the season as either my Vale mates will pick me up on the way past, or my Mrs will take me down there in the car.

Would love 3 more beautiful, shiny points on Saturday; would make my day!  I've also got an idea that my Mrs is making steak and chips for me when I get back - she's such a lucky girl! 😍

UTV and KTF

• Like 9

They're all massive now, but if we can win this then Tuesday's draw is a great result. Can't call any of the games right now though, squeaky bum season!

Injuries permitting, I'd probably only make the one change. Bringing Martin in for Walker to deal with their aerial threat.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rocky said:

So some stats are worth your time if it suits your opinion, gotcha.

You've somehow misunderstood my very clear post. I'm not saying Holy is a better goalkeeper than Stone, the stats was to highlight that he is nowhere near as bad as people are saying - thats it. You can't dismiss Holy's stats and then say with absolute certainty what saves Holy would have saved in a match he didn't play in, you just don't know, all we can go off is the games he has played. 

Again, not saying he is better than Stone, I would have Stone as number 1 too, I am saying he is not as bad as everyone is saying, that's it.

No. Some stats are worth it. Some aren’t. Simple as that regardless of who’s opinion it fits. No I got your point. Holy isn’t as bad as some make out and stone is better, which I agree with. 

Onto the game. I’d like to see Martin back against these if he’s ready to go. Hopefully Wilson and proctor are ok to start. 

Edited by valiant_593

Advert:

1 hour ago, IanW said:

They're all massive now, but if we can win this then Tuesday's draw is a great result. Can't call any of the games right now though, squeaky bum season!

Injuries permitting, I'd probably only make the one change. Bringing Martin in for Walker to deal with their aerial threat.

Exactly this.

No idea how long martin is out for but would be ideal to have him available for this. He's looked really settled and consistent of recent.

Also if this drops walker to the bench then it gives us a bit more depth on the bench.

Another point to consider in the run in is to the extent we need to start rotating. We saw vs exeter how the energy dropped off in second half after a condensed run of games. Playing exactly the same team (injuries permitting) between now and end of season feels unrealistic. I do feel a lot of burden is on worral at RWB as without gibbo any replacement is a big drop off. Also similar concerns with proctor as he's vital to how we play. If we are winning against sutton at any point by a 2 goal margin i do expect subs to key players.

If we are winning against sutton at any point by a 2 goal margin i do expect subs to key players.

Not been watching Vale very long if you think a 2 goal cushion means game over
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Not been watching Vale very long if you think a 2 goal cushion means game over emoji16.png

Ahaha yes you are right we all have scars from this over the years. Sutton away a good example.

Just saying i think we'll have a decision to make with how we approach subs and a few starting lineups over the run in. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What was our team for 4-3 defeat .

Walker stays in for me Martin played in that defeat with Smith and Jones at the back if I recall and Covalan in goal .

Gibbons and Worrall were wing halfs on that particular day .

We played well and lost 4-3 that tells you that this Saturday going be a very hard game .

I'd like see us play with more intensity personally than Tuesday night thought we were too accepting of a point at no point in that game did I feel we tried quicken it up and thats because Garrity was not his usual Brilliant self .

I want see quick free kicks ,I want see imagination I do not want see us get 10 corners and there be  no movement make every one a bit of variety,and look at who's got the best shot at the club,make sure there on the edge of box to thump it   ,use what's in your heads and I want see if selected Worrall attempting to beat his man not turning full circle and the ball ending up in no man's land .

The performance on sat needs be 100 times quicker than tues .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner

The thing with ifollow being available on Sat. for international breaks is nonsensical. With no Prem/Champ on maybe a few of their fans would stroll along to watch their local EFL team?  I really doubt ifollow influences attendances much. It's not the same at all as being there. Mansfield bought 900 on a Tues, who could all have paid a tenner and stayed at home to watch.

Maybe the clubs could do some research on how many people could have gone but decided to watch on ifollow instead. As opposed to those who watched on ifollow because for whatever reason they couldn't go anyway. My bet would be the latter out number the former to some good tune.

To me it is just a second best.  Living abroad I can't go, but I get to see the game and donate some cash to the club. Win win. 

Advert:

Football wise I feel we are better than these. They play in the old school Wimbledon way of hitting it long and playing percentages, with set pieces a key.

We need to be looking at preventing balls into our box in training and then I believe we will out football them.

They won't have the same solidity as Exeter and I'm sure that people like Worrall will be able to concentrate more on the attack rather than worry about defending.

I just can't help that nagging feeling entering my head that we've been let down so many times before. Any other team would be bullish having lost once in 14 and 10 points from the last 4 but we never seem to come through when needed. You feel like we must win our home games.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

5 hours ago, Osh said:

Can't wait for Saturday. 280 mile round trip for me and whole tank of fuel at around a onner.  

Sadly this is my last game this season - off in to hospital a week today and then on crutches.  I'm hoping and praying that I might just be able to make the Exeter game/last match of the season as either my Vale mates will pick me up on the way past, or my Mrs will take me down there in the car.

Would love 3 more beautiful, shiny points on Saturday; would make my day!  I've also got an idea that my Mrs is making steak and chips for me when I get back - she's such a lucky girl! 😍

UTV and KTF

I’d say that you’re a lucky man. I think Vale will win this 3-1 against a big physical side. Hopefully the team is well rested for Saturday. Best wishes for a successful operation. UTV 

• Like 1

Guest Vale at home
3 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I’d say that you’re a lucky man. I think Vale will win this 3-1 against a big physical side. Hopefully the team is well rested for Saturday. Best wishes for a successful operation. UTV 

3 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I Hope you get well soon . Take care  when you arrive at port vale . I also hope The vale win . 

For me I think, in this game, we need to keep it on the floor and pass to  feet as much as we can. 

They've got some very big lads - which showed when we were at their place; if we just hoof it up field we'll just give a lot of possession away.

Try playing it smart and in to feet, some passes in to Dancing James Wilson to turn and slide it past their keeper.  Lovely!

Cant wait for tomorrow 👍

Advert:

Unchanged team for me. I do understand people mentioning recalling Martin if he's available but Walker isn't exactly vertically challenged and deserves to keep the shirt. 

Yet another big game which I'm quietly confident we'll win. 

The football we played at their place up to 2-0 was the best all season. Spawny deflection changed the second half but somehow we still contrived to lose after going back in front with 10 mins left. 

Rough and ready team of battlers, if we win the battles our football will do the rest .

• Like 1