onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Sutton United

Fosse69

14 hours ago, Rocky said:

You should never change your goalkeeper based on who the opposition is. Stone has done nothing wrong to justify being dropped. You have your first choice goalkeeper and they are only dropped if injured, suspended or dropped because of poor decisions/performance.

In Stone's last match he didn't concede and also was really solid, to drop him against Sutton would seriously damage a goalkeeper's confidence, you need stability. This isn't a video game.

I agree however these are land of the giants .

Just keep the ball away from our goal Vale .

I agree our goalies over the season have had little do only 12  clean sheets between them .

We have failed score in 9 of 37 games .

There offence 58 goals 38 games is better than ours 55 37 games .

They have scored in 15 of there 19 away fixtures .

That soccer stats on league 2 is revealing 

Stone has being very good in general long may it continue  

UTV 

Advert

13 hours ago, Mellor! said:

You forgot the really vital bit of info  - Holy is shıte

Stats say different, Stone and Holy have played the same amount of games for Vale and Holy's stats are slightly better. I really like Stone but to say Holy isn't good is bewildering when he's faced more shots than Stone and his save %age is higher too. I'm not saying he's amazing but he isn't rubbish, people just piling on, maybe because he's on loan.

The goal conceded in his last game was as much Hall's error as Holy's, he should have come out and punched it away, but it was the goalie that was dug out for it. 

The goal conceded against Harrogate, Pett gives it away, Walker misses the tackle, Hall misses the tackle, so does Smith, Walker gets back and misses again and they score but I've seen people moan that Holy was at fault, nobody blaming one outfield player.

14 hours ago, Rocky said:

You should never change your goalkeeper based on who the opposition is. Stone has done nothing wrong to justify being dropped. You have your first choice goalkeeper and they are only dropped if injured, suspended or dropped because of poor decisions/performance.

In Stone's last match he didn't concede and also was really solid, to drop him against Sutton would seriously damage a goalkeeper's confidence, you need stability. This isn't a video game.

Especially when the reason Holy was dropped was because he couldn't catch a cross and made himself look very small

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Stats say different, Stone and Holy have played the same amount of games for Vale and Holy's stats are slightly better. I really like Stone but to say Holy isn't good is bewildering when he's faced more shots than Stone and his save %age is higher too. I'm not saying he's amazing but he isn't rubbish, people just piling on, maybe because he's on loan.

The goal conceded in his last game was as much Hall's error as Holy's, he should have come out and punched it away, but it was the goalie that was dug out for it. 

The goal conceded against Harrogate, Pett gives it away, Walker misses the tackle, Hall misses the tackle, so does Smith, Walker gets back and misses again and they score but I've seen people moan that Holy was at fault, nobody blaming one outfield player.

Stats don’t tell the story here though. In general when Holy has played we have set up quite negatively and lacking any creativity. We’ve been much more defensive and in given up very few chances when he’s played. When called upon he either drops crosses or can’t get down to balls that are low. Not wholly his fault as you say as defence to blame as well but any decent keeper would be saving those efforts at Harrogate for example. Stone clearly the better keeper really happy he’s got another chance as he never should have been dropped in the first place. 

Look at the shots Holy has saved. I can’t think of one where I thought that was a great save, they were all routine. Stone made a world class save as recent as Mansfield off Smithy and a good one against Exeter as well. Really don’t get the stats for things like this as it Dosent measure the quality / difficulty of saves

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Stats don’t tell the story here though. In general when Holy has played we have set up quite negatively and lacking any creativity. We’ve been much more defensive and in given up very few chances when he’s played. When called upon he either drops crosses or can’t get down to balls that are low. Not wholly his fault as you say as defence to blame as well but any decent keeper would be saving those efforts at Harrogate for example. Stone clearly the better keeper really happy he’s got another chance as he never should have been dropped in the first place 

It does make me laugh when people say stats don't tell the whole story but when its a stat that we've only lost 2 games when Proctor has started, fans happily laud him as an integral part of our team (which he is). Stats only seem to be relevant when it suits.

Again, not saying he is a great goalkeeper but he's not as bad as people are saying either. I think the main reason he was dropped was because of his distribution.

26 minutes ago, Rocky said:

It does make me laugh when people say stats don't tell the whole story but when its a stat that we've only lost 2 games when Proctor has started, fans happily laud him as an integral part of our team (which he is). Stats only seem to be relevant when it suits.

Again, not saying he is a great goalkeeper but he's not as bad as people are saying either. I think the main reason he was dropped was because of his distribution.

That’s a completely different stat. It’s completely irrelevant that Holy has a better save %. He’s not had 1 difficult save to make. If we had played the same style against the same sides with the same chances / saves I’d  listen to that stat more. No chance if Holy played against Mansfield would he have saved from smith at 2-1. Some stats are valid and some are pointless just like possession. It’s irrelevant.  Stats are relevant when they matter. I wouldn’t say he’s a dreadful keeper, but he’s the worst of the 3 IMO, for his size he’s poor off crosses, poor shot stopper and poor distribution. Thankfully he’s on loan. Go back to stone as number 1 and cov at number 2 for me. 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

That’s a completely different stat. It’s completely irrelevant that Holy has a better save %. He’s not had 1 difficult save to make. If we had played the same style against the same sides with the same chances / saves I’d  listen to that stat more. No chance if Holy played against Mansfield would he have saved from smith at 2-1. Some stats are valid and some are pointless just like possession. It’s irrelevant.  Stats are relevant when they matter. I wouldn’t say he’s a dreadful keeper, but he’s the worst of the 3 IMO, for his size he’s poor off crosses, poor shot stopper and poor distribution. Thankfully he’s on loan. Go back to stone as number 1 and cov at number 2 for me. 

So some stats are worth your time if it suits your opinion, gotcha.

You've somehow misunderstood my very clear post. I'm not saying Holy is a better goalkeeper than Stone, the stats was to highlight that he is nowhere near as bad as people are saying - thats it. You can't dismiss Holy's stats and then say with absolute certainty what saves Holy would have saved in a match he didn't play in, you just don't know, all we can go off is the games he has played. 

Again, not saying he is better than Stone, I would have Stone as number 1 too, I am saying he is not as bad as everyone is saying, that's it.

Can't wait for Saturday. 280 mile round trip for me and whole tank of fuel at around a onner.  

Sadly this is my last game this season - off in to hospital a week today and then on crutches.  I'm hoping and praying that I might just be able to make the Exeter game/last match of the season as either my Vale mates will pick me up on the way past, or my Mrs will take me down there in the car.

Would love 3 more beautiful, shiny points on Saturday; would make my day!  I've also got an idea that my Mrs is making steak and chips for me when I get back - she's such a lucky girl! 😍

UTV and KTF

They're all massive now, but if we can win this then Tuesday's draw is a great result. Can't call any of the games right now though, squeaky bum season!

Injuries permitting, I'd probably only make the one change. Bringing Martin in for Walker to deal with their aerial threat.

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

So some stats are worth your time if it suits your opinion, gotcha.

You've somehow misunderstood my very clear post. I'm not saying Holy is a better goalkeeper than Stone, the stats was to highlight that he is nowhere near as bad as people are saying - thats it. You can't dismiss Holy's stats and then say with absolute certainty what saves Holy would have saved in a match he didn't play in, you just don't know, all we can go off is the games he has played. 

Again, not saying he is better than Stone, I would have Stone as number 1 too, I am saying he is not as bad as everyone is saying, that's it.

No. Some stats are worth it. Some aren’t. Simple as that regardless of who’s opinion it fits. No I got your point. Holy isn’t as bad as some make out and stone is better, which I agree with. 

Onto the game. I’d like to see Martin back against these if he’s ready to go. Hopefully Wilson and proctor are ok to start. 

1 hour ago, IanW said:

They're all massive now, but if we can win this then Tuesday's draw is a great result. Can't call any of the games right now though, squeaky bum season!

Injuries permitting, I'd probably only make the one change. Bringing Martin in for Walker to deal with their aerial threat.

Exactly this.

No idea how long martin is out for but would be ideal to have him available for this. He's looked really settled and consistent of recent.

Also if this drops walker to the bench then it gives us a bit more depth on the bench.

Another point to consider in the run in is to the extent we need to start rotating. We saw vs exeter how the energy dropped off in second half after a condensed run of games. Playing exactly the same team (injuries permitting) between now and end of season feels unrealistic. I do feel a lot of burden is on worral at RWB as without gibbo any replacement is a big drop off. Also similar concerns with proctor as he's vital to how we play. If we are winning against sutton at any point by a 2 goal margin i do expect subs to key players.

50 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Not been watching Vale very long if you think a 2 goal cushion means game over emoji16.png

Ahaha yes you are right we all have scars from this over the years. Sutton away a good example.

Just saying i think we'll have a decision to make with how we approach subs and a few starting lineups over the run in. 

What was our team for 4-3 defeat .

Walker stays in for me Martin played in that defeat with Smith and Jones at the back if I recall and Covalan in goal .

Gibbons and Worrall were wing halfs on that particular day .

We played well and lost 4-3 that tells you that this Saturday going be a very hard game .

I'd like see us play with more intensity personally than Tuesday night thought we were too accepting of a point at no point in that game did I feel we tried quicken it up and thats because Garrity was not his usual Brilliant self .

I want see quick free kicks ,I want see imagination I do not want see us get 10 corners and there be  no movement make every one a bit of variety,and look at who's got the best shot at the club,make sure there on the edge of box to thump it   ,use what's in your heads and I want see if selected Worrall attempting to beat his man not turning full circle and the ball ending up in no man's land .

The performance on sat needs be 100 times quicker than tues .

UTV 

Archived