Jump to content

Match Thread: Port Vale v Sutton United


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Rocky said:

 

You only picked 10 players...

OK because of what happened at Sutton with not dealing with crosses on that particular throw away afternoon I'd go with Holy sat even though Stones being very good should be catching practice for a big lad like him (Colchester away goal may say different though ).

UTV 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

OK because of what happened at Sutton with not dealing with crosses on that particular throw away afternoon I'd go with Holy sat even though Stones being very good should be catching practice for a big lad like him (Colchester away goal may say different though ).

UTV 


You should never change your goalkeeper based on who the opposition is. Stone has done nothing wrong to justify being dropped. You have your first choice goalkeeper and they are only dropped if injured, suspended or dropped because of poor decisions/performance.

In Stone's last match he didn't concede and also was really solid, to drop him against Sutton would seriously damage a goalkeeper's confidence, you need stability. This isn't a video game.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Rocky said:


You should never change your goalkeeper based on who the opposition is. Stone has done nothing wrong to justify being dropped. You have your first choice goalkeeper and they are only dropped if injured, suspended or dropped because of poor decisions/performance.

In Stone's last match he didn't concede and also was really solid, to drop him against Sutton would seriously damage a goalkeeper's confidence, you need stability. This isn't a video game.

You forgot the really vital bit of info  - Holy is shıte

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking  at there highlights against Oldham there's going to be a lot of hoof ball! We need to be at our best defencivly. Just hope its pay back time for our result at there place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


5 hours ago, philmpv said:

I personally will always go but know the latter would be attractive to some. My confusion arises from the fact that the effect on attendances is always cited as the reason that games largely aren't available in the UK yet how does it being an international weekend suddenly and seemingly make this reason redundant for L1 and L2 clubs so that they're available to UK residents? That's what I can't get my head around. It's as though the rule is only concerned with Prem and Champ attendances, which makes no sense either
 

I live a long way from Vale Park , but I would rather attend than watch online. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I live a long way from Vale Park , but I would rather attend than watch online. 

Live 70 miles from vale park ,could stream midweek games for £10,like Houston will always travel nothing like live atmosphere, ok for the supporters who cannot get there or can't afford mid week games ,still revenue for the club,hope there's a good crowd on Saturday a must win game  utv

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

If you live in Burslem would you go to the ground for £22 or watch on line for £10 ?  At what point does the number on line off set the number who no longer go to the ground? Add in travelling costs for people further away in their decision making, also those on line where attending the game is impractical.  What is known on Vale`s gate being affected by on-line competition?

To be honest I am surprised attendances don’t get hit more by I follow, admittedly I have a VPN aided season pass, but live 150 miles aways and still see at least 6 home games and more away in person. 
 

Even so, our attendances have not really dipped and have improved since the Smurfwaite league 2 era, promotion season aside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Posted (edited)

No teams in the top 10 are playing at home on Saturday apart from us and Exeter. We could really do with winning.

Edited by 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For home games i would much rather go the games as sitting at home you can get annoyed with what you are seeing but nothing like being at the ground and encouraging yesim emotional and constantly urging them on and I probably do get on others fans wicks (bother them )but I cannot helpit I'm goaarnnn son to every player to whatever end we are attacking cannot understand why fans stay at one end they should all move to the end we are attacking in railway paddock/stand .

The game sat is a big one will take a test on sat morning if it comes back negative ill be going hopefully (as had Covid 5 days by then )so hopefully it's done one by then .

It goes without saying that every performance now will have to go up another notch so a good performance will have to be bettered with a very good a very good with a excellent a excellent with a outstanding etc .

Sutton are a very very dangerous side that why I felt we needed beat Exeter wasn't to be and now puts pressure on Saturdays game a game where I feel each player has to be a minimum 8 out of 10 .

UTV 

UTV 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Rocky said:


You should never change your goalkeeper based on who the opposition is. Stone has done nothing wrong to justify being dropped. You have your first choice goalkeeper and they are only dropped if injured, suspended or dropped because of poor decisions/performance.

In Stone's last match he didn't concede and also was really solid, to drop him against Sutton would seriously damage a goalkeeper's confidence, you need stability. This isn't a video game.

I agree however these are land of the giants .

Just keep the ball away from our goal Vale .

I agree our goalies over the season have had little do only 12  clean sheets between them .

We have failed score in 9 of 37 games .

There offence 58 goals 38 games is better than ours 55 37 games .

They have scored in 15 of there 19 away fixtures .

That soccer stats on league 2 is revealing 

Stone has being very good in general long may it continue  

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mellor! said:

You forgot the really vital bit of info  - Holy is shıte


Stats say different, Stone and Holy have played the same amount of games for Vale and Holy's stats are slightly better. I really like Stone but to say Holy isn't good is bewildering when he's faced more shots than Stone and his save %age is higher too. I'm not saying he's amazing but he isn't rubbish, people just piling on, maybe because he's on loan.

The goal conceded in his last game was as much Hall's error as Holy's, he should have come out and punched it away, but it was the goalie that was dug out for it. 

The goal conceded against Harrogate, Pett gives it away, Walker misses the tackle, Hall misses the tackle, so does Smith, Walker gets back and misses again and they score but I've seen people moan that Holy was at fault, nobody blaming one outfield player.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rocky said:


You should never change your goalkeeper based on who the opposition is. Stone has done nothing wrong to justify being dropped. You have your first choice goalkeeper and they are only dropped if injured, suspended or dropped because of poor decisions/performance.

In Stone's last match he didn't concede and also was really solid, to drop him against Sutton would seriously damage a goalkeeper's confidence, you need stability. This isn't a video game.

Especially when the reason Holy was dropped was because he couldn't catch a cross and made himself look very small

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rocky said:


Stats say different, Stone and Holy have played the same amount of games for Vale and Holy's stats are slightly better. I really like Stone but to say Holy isn't good is bewildering when he's faced more shots than Stone and his save %age is higher too. I'm not saying he's amazing but he isn't rubbish, people just piling on, maybe because he's on loan.

The goal conceded in his last game was as much Hall's error as Holy's, he should have come out and punched it away, but it was the goalie that was dug out for it. 

The goal conceded against Harrogate, Pett gives it away, Walker misses the tackle, Hall misses the tackle, so does Smith, Walker gets back and misses again and they score but I've seen people moan that Holy was at fault, nobody blaming one outfield player.

Stats don’t tell the story here though. In general when Holy has played we have set up quite negatively and lacking any creativity. We’ve been much more defensive and in given up very few chances when he’s played. When called upon he either drops crosses or can’t get down to balls that are low. Not wholly his fault as you say as defence to blame as well but any decent keeper would be saving those efforts at Harrogate for example. Stone clearly the better keeper really happy he’s got another chance as he never should have been dropped in the first place. 
 

Look at the shots Holy has saved. I can’t think of one where I thought that was a great save, they were all routine. Stone made a world class save as recent as Mansfield off Smithy and a good one against Exeter as well. Really don’t get the stats for things like this as it Dosent measure the quality / difficulty of saves

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Stats don’t tell the story here though. In general when Holy has played we have set up quite negatively and lacking any creativity. We’ve been much more defensive and in given up very few chances when he’s played. When called upon he either drops crosses or can’t get down to balls that are low. Not wholly his fault as you say as defence to blame as well but any decent keeper would be saving those efforts at Harrogate for example. Stone clearly the better keeper really happy he’s got another chance as he never should have been dropped in the first place 


It does make me laugh when people say stats don't tell the whole story but when its a stat that we've only lost 2 games when Proctor has started, fans happily laud him as an integral part of our team (which he is). Stats only seem to be relevant when it suits.

Again, not saying he is a great goalkeeper but he's not as bad as people are saying either. I think the main reason he was dropped was because of his distribution.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...