• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

Think the main thing tonight was not to lose. A win would’ve been brilliant but I’m happy with a point against a very good side. Our game relies on the running of garrity and some high energy play and I think we looked flat tonight from the first whistle. Wilson is the key for me. If we get him in the box and he’s shooting he’s going to score goals. He had a couple of decent efforts tonight all sadly from outside the area and didn’t trouble the keeper too much. Sutton will be a big horrible side bit they score goals and perhaps will be happy for a point here so it’s important we attack them and get that high tempo and crowd behind us to roar us to a massive win. We’ve done well stay in the mix I thought it was all over a month ago. Charsely and garrity tonight didn’t offer much running forward and thought we lacked a bit tonight in terms of driving on up the pitch. Proctor is needed for the run in and if him and Wilson stay fit then there’s no reason why we can’t get into the play offs. Saturday is a huge game. I’ll take ten points from the last four games though. Get them rested now and ready to go again Saturday. And a bit of luck on the injury front would be nice. I can’t believe how many injuries we’ve had to players this season. 

Advert:

7 hours ago, Nightwish said:

Mansfield are to be feared with three games in hand.

Nothing we can do about them, they’re out of our hands, we can only concern ourselves with our performances. No point worrying about other teams who we haven’t even got to play. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

Caprice their LWB best player on the pitch. Strong, fast, gave Wozza real problems & one of the few in this league to get the better of him over 90 mins.

He might have been quick and had the beating of him for pace yet he created nothing for them. 

A point on the board against one of our rivals. They came to spoil the game and it worked.

In December and January combined,we played 6 league games. In February and March combined,we have played 12, and it showed...we looked leggy and short of ideas.

That said, we've only lost 2 out of 14. Still in with a chance and goal difference could come into it.

I hope Exeter waste a lot of time in their upcoming games and it bites them on the bum. There should have been about 10 minutes in each half!

On to the next game...

I shall forever refer to this one as 'The Game of Throws' *starts humming a well known theme tune

I thought we were decent but just ran out of steam. I do get some of the points surfacing on this thread about our attacking play. We've been a bit fortunate recently with some weak goalkeeping. We stopped getting as high up the pitch 2nd half which made our usual 'fifa goal' attack less likely. By that i mean we love an edge of the box cut back.

Fair play to exeter. What a well organised team

Advert:

Ran out of gas in the end understandably but played well and in fairness Exeter were solid and got the point they came for.

Shame Amoo didn’t get a toe on at the end to win but would have been harsh on Exeter.

Need to rest up and try and beat Sutton, if we do it’s a great point tonight and then look forward to a free week to recharge the batteries again.

Aside from Easter we only have one more Two game week so hopefully that will be a benefit going forward.

Exeter were so strong and thats with players out so well done them .

9 games go 60 points got a possible 27 more .

Hope Proctor ain't injured so much of our good work comes through that lad .

On reflection a point and a clean sheet is a positive especially with us been a 5 out of 10 .

You would have thought the players would have been hitting a 7/8 out of 10 but not to be .

Amoo showed the drive necessary 👏 when he entered the fray .

So in future maybe a freshen the team up and use this excellent squad DC has assembled .

I think play offs are the aim now if won last night top 3 was on but a points neither here nor there. 

Didn't seem like 5000 Vale fans there (mind you couldn't see Lorne Street)hope they all were encouraging the team .

Sutton another 6 pointer sat they will be tough .

UTV 

Feel a bit better now that I've slept on it and looked at the table this morning.

Overall, I thought we were the better side but Exeter wanted a point and fair play they got it. We just didn't have that spark in the final third to create the clear cut chance that we needed.

Wilson was excellent again last night I thought, as was Proctor. Amoo was in the mood as well when he came on which was refreshing to see.

Worrall needs to pull his socks up asap. Also Smith, whilst excellent defensively, is getting progressively worse with the ball (who thought that was possible?!) to the point where it's embarrassing. For me, he either plays in a no nonsense centre back role in the centre, or in a back 4. I do not want to see him as a wide centre back next season. Cass, in my opinion, is our biggest miss after the January window.

• Like 7

Advert:

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

……..Only the introduction of Amoo running at them got a very quiet and subdued crowd going………

What the hell is going on with the crowd?  We’ve been subdued for weeks now.  Decent enough numbers in for a Tuesday night but it was like a library at times.  We couldn’t even get DC’s black ‘n’ white army going in a vital match against a promotion rival.  12th man?  It was almost embarrassing that Edmonson felt the need to urge the crowd to raise the noise level near the end.  We need to do much better to support this team.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What the hell is going on with the crowd?  We’ve been subdued for weeks now.  Decent enough numbers in for a Tuesday night but it was like a library at times.  We couldn’t even get DC’s black ‘n’ white army going in a vital match against a promotion rival.  12th man?  It was almost embarrassing that Edmonson felt the need to urge the crowd to raise the noise level near the end.  We need to do much better to support this team.

The crowd were quiet but their wasn’t much happening on the pitch to get them standing and singing unlike Bradford where they really got behind the team as we were on the front foot for large parts of the game

Well it’s going to be a very very different game against sooty let’s hope we can sweep them aside. It’s going to be a war of attrition helmets on! We owe them! 

Advert:

Thoughts after the game. Exeter always a good footballing side who are there season after season but always fall away. This side had more grit and had certainly had lessons in the dark arts. I think this might be the year they make it. Was hoping for 3 points but never thought it was going to be easy, didnt see the 2-0/3-0 that some were predicting. Exeter were 2nd and on a promotion run of form, even allowing for injuries. However no worse than ours.

Probably on balance a fair result, which gave us 10 points out of 12. Rinse and repeat and promotion here we come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philmpv said:

Feel a bit better now that I've slept on it and looked at the table this morning.

Overall, I thought we were the better side but Exeter wanted a point and fair play they got it. We just didn't have that spark in the final third to create the clear cut chance that we needed.

Wilson was excellent again last night I thought, as was Proctor. Amoo was in the mood as well when he came on which was refreshing to see.

Worrall needs to pull his socks up asap. Also Smith, whilst excellent defensively, is getting progressively worse with the ball (who thought that was possible?!) to the point where it's embarrassing. For me, he either plays in a no nonsense centre back role in the centre, or in a back 4. I do not want to see him as a wide centre back next season. Cass, in my opinion, is our biggest miss after the January window.

Cass has been a huge miss. His ability to get up and down plus his defensive qualities. I'm not criticising Walker but he's no centre half. At least 3 times last night he tried pinging a long ball but it simply gave up possession.

• Like 2

Agree re Cass I said that the other week we miss him more than we think.  Like Walker, Smith is similar when he drifts to Right back and we try and go forward his distribution is poor.  Not a criticism as he's a CB but sadly he's no attacking right back.  Will be good if we can get a few games out of Gibbons towards the end as having him one side Benning the other we are more mobile!

• Like 1