onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

Advert

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

What the hell is going on with the crowd?  We’ve been subdued for weeks now.  Decent enough numbers in for a Tuesday night but it was like a library at times.  We couldn’t even get DC’s black ‘n’ white army going in a vital match against a promotion rival.  12th man?  It was almost embarrassing that Edmonson felt the need to urge the crowd to raise the noise level near the end.  We need to do much better to support this team.

Mate I found it most peculiar.  Might as well of been Stevenage with 3200 there.

At least the Exeter fans gave it a go.

Sometimes it's a two way thing , maybe a thunderous tackle or a poor ref decision gets us going but last night there was nothing from the Vale crowd. Mystifying.  

Not had a chance read through the thread yet but my thoughts on the game were, Exeter were quite happy with a draw, even with an under-strength side they battled and their back line is probably the best I've seen down at the park this season. Well organised, choked our strikers and nullified most of the threats quite easily. 

We were crying out for a creative midfielder to unlock their defence and that tends to be where our weaknesses are highlighted when the opposition are happy to sit in and defend.

I'm not complaining about the draw, its a solid point but I was frustrated at the amount of long hopeful balls we were launching at any given opportunity. They would have the ball, we would get it back in our half, then hit a long ball and give it back. It's great if we have Dan Jones in the side but we don't have the quality to do it. It isn't the first time it's happened this season.

Worrall near the end was looping balls into the air in the second half, did it twice and I couldn't understand why we struggled so much to play it along the floor. 

We were a little unlucky having to sub Wilson, Proctor and Pett. Not that we were offering chance after chance with them on the pitch but if we were going to score last night, it was going to come from one of those three involved.

I knew it would be a tough game, Saturday is an even bigger game now Sutton are above us, revenge for throwing the game away at theirs earlier in the season. 

We are playing a lot of games at the moment because of the Covid break. A lot is being asked of these players.

I couldn't pick between Hall or Smith as Man of the Match last night. Both were very solid.

43 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

As much as I like worral we need someone on that side who is willing to get past his man especially at home our play breaks down so much with him and smith down there 

That’s not a moan 

That's exactly how I saw it Smith is pedestrian at times and Worrall I couldn't understand not once did he try get past a player was just booting it anywhere most of the time not one incisive ball all night from the pair of them.

Good post and spot on 

For an example of the fine margins involved at the moment, consider this....Mansfield (or more accurately Nathan Smith), Bradford and Exeter have all hit the crossbar in the last three games. We could have been in a far less optimistic position without those slices of luck. 

Despite last night, I think I'm right in saying if everything went for us on Saturday and we win, we'd be in the top 3 by 5pm!

4 minutes ago, smithie said:

For an example of the fine margins involved at the moment, consider this....Mansfield (or more accurately Nathan Smith), Bradford and Exeter have all hit the crossbar in the last three games. We could have been in a far less optimistic position without those slices of luck. 

Despite last night, I think I'm right in saying if everything went for us on Saturday and we win, we'd be in the top 3 by 5pm!

The one last night wasn't luck. If anything it was pure spawn by Brown.  There was not a chance that was a shot. 

For a team who knew a win would put us in the play offs we didn't half lack oooomph .

I think winning at Bradford at a guess they had too many sherbets and it showed as against Bradford we were smashing them all over the park winning 60 /40 balls and that led to the win .

I like Crosby but he seems to go like for like too much  a little more imagination required especially when in tight games quality is required could Hurst have replaced Worrall for example etc he puts a decent ball well he ain't going put a decent ball sitting on the bench .

Wheres Cooper he seems like a player who can get past a player etc .

Do not  always go same old as opposition watch us you know .

Be a bit too clever for them and change the dynamics 

UTV 

Exeter fans were moaning about injuries, well we had the following players out last night Lucas covolan,Aaron Martin,Chris hussey,James gibbons,Dan Jones,tom conlon,Jake Taylor and cooper wasn't on the bench either so must be injured or ill as we only named 6 subs. We probably had just as many players out as they did but we don't go crying about it and just get on with it.I doubt any team has had the injuries we have had this season as we all know we had a spell where we had all 5 strikers out at the same time and had to play a midfielder Ben garrity upfront.

As for the game draw was a fair result. Both sides defended well and created very little. Worrall didn't have a very good game so he maybe tired and need resting.

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

That's exactly how I saw it Smith is pedestrian at times and Worrall I couldn't understand not once did he try get past a player was just booting it anywhere most of the time not one incisive ball all night from the pair of them.

Good post and spot on 

Smith is not the best going forward but defensively he is solid and very brave 

Obviously worral has created a bit this season that’s why it’s not a moan it was tough for him last night as they were very good defensively but that’s when we need go past a man or 2 and create some space 

Well, that's two Tuesday night games so far this season and no goals; I should probably stay away for the good of all concerned, let alone my wallet!

Like some others on here, just felt that last night was a game too far for a number of our players, especially those in attacking roles, partly due to the squad being thinned out by injury and illness and having to rely on those same players.

Think Worrall suffered last night from a crisis of confidence after getting skinned a couple of times, definitely not the player we know he can be. Think with Gibbo at RWB last night we'd probably have pushed them back more and won the game. As it was, I thought it was a bit unbalanced, with us having a grip down the left thanks to Hall (MotM) and Benning's performances, with Garrity and Proctor creating overloads on that side in the first half, (epitomised by that lovely move where their keeper saved well from Wilson), but looking second best on the other flank.

Also thought we controlled midfield for the most part until Pett was forced off, although in fairness was a miracle Pett lasted that long given the number of times Rowe (21) slid through him or left an arm in. How he wasn't booked I really can't understand; thought Madley generally got the decisions right, but didn't step up when needed to put an end to their shenanigans, failing to give cards for late challenges, and only finally giving a foul throw on the 50th time they stole 10 yards, rather than the 5th.

Agree Amoo was good when he came on, especially that 70-yard carry down the left to clear our lines, but thought maybe he could have flung himself at that chance right at the end. I also think our fragility in the middle after he came on showed why he doesn't start - he can't replace Proctor or Wilson, and we need the three in midfield to give us the platform and the time to play and pick passes, so unless we play him as a RWB (which would be an extremely attacking change, but maybe worth a go one time?!), I don't see how he can be in the first XI as things stand.

A late winner would have made the 3-hour journey home feel far more worthwhile, but still, another great effort from every single player out there, a hard-earned point against a very handy Exeter side, and we're still properly in amongst it, even if we're no longer favourites for automatic promotion.

UTV.

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

Well, that's two Tuesday night games so far this season and no goals; I should probably stay away for the good of all concerned, let alone my wallet!

Like some others on here, just felt that last night was a game too far for a number of our players, especially those in attacking roles, partly due to the squad being thinned out by injury and illness and having to rely on those same players.

Think Worrall suffered last night from a crisis of confidence after getting skinned a couple of times, definitely not the player we know he can be. Think with Gibbo at RWB last night we'd probably have pushed them back more and won the game. As it was, I thought it was a bit unbalanced, with us having a grip down the left thanks to Hall (MotM) and Benning's performances, with Garrity and Proctor creating overloads on that side in the first half, (epitomised by that lovely move where their keeper saved well from Wilson), but looking second best on the other flank.

Also thought we controlled midfield for the most part until Pett was forced off, although in fairness was a miracle Pett lasted that long given the number of times Rowe (21) slid through him or left an arm in. How he wasn't booked I really can't understand; thought Madley generally got the decisions right, but didn't step up when needed to put an end to their shenanigans, failing to give cards for late challenges, and only finally giving a foul throw on the 50th time they stole 10 yards, rather than the 5th.

Agree Amoo was good when he came on, especially that 70-yard carry down the left to clear our lines, but thought maybe he could have flung himself at that chance right at the end. I also think our fragility in the middle after he came on showed why he doesn't start - he can't replace Proctor or Wilson, and we need the three in midfield to give us the platform and the time to play and pick passes, so unless we play him as a RWB (which would be an extremely attacking change, but maybe worth a go one time?!), I don't see how he can be in the first XI as things stand.

A late winner would have made the 3-hour journey home feel far more worthwhile, but still, another great effort from every single player out there, a hard-earned point against a very handy Exeter side, and we're still properly in amongst it, even if we're no longer favourites for automatic promotion.

UTV.

That foul throw was because he was on the pitch, not where it was taken from.

I thought we should have put him on at wing back in the crawley game once it was out of sight. Would have been ideal opportunity to see how he coped there against poor opposition and give hussey or worrall a bit of a rest.

I thought we should have put him on at wing back in the crawley game once it was out of sight. Would have been ideal opportunity to see how he coped there against poor opposition and give hussey or worrall a bit of a rest.
I'm pretty sure that if he'd shown any ability to play that role in training he would have had a few games there already. Got to trust the manager and coaching staff on that I think

If you look at it through the eyes of the most positive fan in the world ,its a very good point .

The most negative it's 2 points lost .

Looking at the table makes pleasing reading today  win our game in hand and we are in a healthy position .

Stone on average has one shot a game deal with .

The omens are good because I felt we played well below our high standards last night there was a sloppiness about us and some of the  balls in were horrendous .

We had 8 corners last night and on only one which any of our players got on the end off Garrity headed over has the quality of the  other 7 were not to the standard they need be  

So I'd have the players in working on making angles so that we free the likes of Hall Proctor Walker and Garrity from set pieces to get on target efforts at the opposition goals .

UTV 

Archived