onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

41 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

A good performance overall but I just get the nagging feeling that we may just fall short. Exeter were set on for a smash and grab away win but we failed to get the one goal that would have won it. Amoo was brilliant when he came on, Worrall was back to his attacking best and Wilson ran himself into the ground.

However we were not the threat we could have been. Charsley and Benning seemed the weak links for me, with some of Benning’s deliveries poor as were a couple of Edmonson’s late on. I feel generally we are poor at getting the ball into the box effectively  and it has been a bit of a theme, which is another reason for a lack of pens. Myrie-Williams was amazing doing this back in the day and what we’d do for his type now.  

I really do feel that Amoo can be our Myrie-Williams, and that it’s a big pity that Clarke/Crosby see him as striker. As yourself and others have posted, he was great when he came on, really energising our attacking play. He often has.

You can guarantee he won’t start on Saturday though. Worrall appears to be undroppable and it seems left midfield is never messed around with mid-game. 

Exeter are a good team, but there was too much hit and hope tonight. Charsley dropped his usual standards, and Benning is steady but doesn’t create. That bit of spark, in the link between midfield and attack, is still a work in progress (hence the lack of penalties like you say). Onwards …

Advert

Really thought that we would win tonight given Exeter's injuries and suspensions but another hard earned point in a match lacking any quality.  I felt like both teams settled for a draw from early on and were frightened of losing the game, they were wasting time and Stone while looking good in goal seemed to take a long time with any restarts as well.  We now have a big game on Saturday where 3 points are needed.  I just hope Gibbo is back soon, we desperately miss him, I think asking Worrall to play that position all year has certainly had an effect on him and definitely not the player he was.

We lacked something tonight .

There was one move in first half it was class between Benning Garrity and Wilson with Wilson effort turned over the bar by the keeper .

What I didn't understand is why we didn't carry on playing like that all game we seemed tired and rightly so the players have had a lot celebrate lately maybe they overdid the celebrations after saturdays fine win .

So here my marks feel free disagree .

Stone 7 one save straight at him generally good game .

Smith 6 defensively sound passing leaves a lot to be desired though .

Walker 7 didn't put a foot wrong all night in my opinion .

Hall 7 nearly scored but goalie saved .

Worrall 5 effort great as always lacks the pace go around the defender ,tonight found him very loose in possession some of his passing was abysmal .

Charsley 6 

Pett 6 

Garrity 6 played the ball of the night through to Worrall who should have shot at goal but defender got back ,was involved in Vales good bits but there wasn't enough good bits tonight unfortunately  

Benning 6 did OK I thought .

Wilson 7 played well first half had 3 efforts at goal one straight at keeper one turned over the bar and the other well over the bar .

Proctor 6 held the ball up well was hoping Worrall and Benning were going to hit the byline and give  the lad the opportunity score but neither hit the byline all night .

The service was too lame and not to the standard it should be .

Subs 

Harratt and Edmondson showed good youthful energy but Amoo was the  stand out sub .

Decent crowd attendance I thought for a tues with majority of folk at work .

As for the match you wouldn't want watch it again must have being 20 thousand throw ins in that game .

Still in with a chance but needs freshening up if that's the best the players can do  

UTV 

4 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Really thought that we would win tonight given Exeter's injuries and suspensions but another hard earned point in a match lacking any quality.  I felt like both teams settled for a draw from early on and were frightened of losing the game, they were wasting time and Stone while looking good in goal seemed to take a long time with any restarts as well.  We now have a big game on Saturday where 3 points are needed.  I just hope Gibbo is back soon, we desperately miss him, I think asking Worrall to play that position all year has certainly had an effect on him and definitely not the player he was.

Worrall took a whack and also had to deal with Caprice who admittedly only had a right foot but he caused us all sorts of problems, I said to my Son that if Exeter had been full strength and we had Conlon and Gibbo on it would still have ended goalless, they were a well organised unit ...Thats football on to Saturday.

7 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Most definately a good point won. Exeter will be in an automatic spot with FGR and Mansfield. Very good defence tonight and ran all night to give us no time and space.

It looked one game too many for us in a great run of games. We did look tired and struggled to get going. A good point won. Garrety, Charsley, Worral all run into the ground early on i thought, had very little left.

Our injuries are just as bad , if not worse than Exeter. We still have first team players out injured who are crucial to us. Conlon, Gibbons for sure. Hussey, Martin would have pushed to play tonight. Jones, Taylor also missing. We had a very weak, unbalanced bench and it showed after 90 mins i thought.

Sutton will be a different game and just as tough a battle. Big team and direct. Fast too so hope we have recovered and can last 90 mins. Great if we can get back to a win and three points. We will need goals Saturday. We need Proctor and Wilson from the start.

Not the end of the world that… the chance where we played it around d their back line and Wilson fired the effort at goal I think he first half was the one… if that had gone in we would have opened them up.

They came for a point in difficult circumstances and for one.

I have said it before and I will keep saying it… if we had kept Conlon, Wilson, Proctor and Gibbo for all season we would be top of this league now.

Keep Gibbo and Conlon in the summer and keep them all fit next year and we will be right up there again! 

10 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Not the end of the world that… the chance where we played it around d their back line and Wilson fired the effort at goal I think he first half was the one… if that had gone in we would have opened them up.

They came for a point in difficult circumstances and for one.

I have said it before and I will keep saying it… if we had kept Conlon, Wilson, Proctor and Gibbo for all season we would be top of this league now.

Keep Gibbo and Conlon in the summer and keep them all fit next year and we will be right up there again! 

4 quality players but Gibbo in 5 years of being first choice has played 109 games, around 45% and over the last 2 seasons, started just 32 games.  Wilson another quality player but again never had a full season since he started out when he has been fit, Proctor has started 120 games in the last 5 years, all great players but I am not sure they can be relied on for a whole season, Conlon I guess we have been unlucky with as he never seemed to be injured much previously.

I would say Exeter looked the best team we've seen this season, sharp quick passing and in general quicker players. We are a workmanlike team but definitely lacking pace in several areas

We needed to bombard them to get the upper hand but after Proctor went off it was never going to happen. Too many players looked tired tonight and we seemed in panic mode at times when defending

That said we didn't lose and kept a clean sheet. Can't help thinking though they came for a point with players out and a missed opportunity to stamp our claim on the top 3.

9 games left, need to get 15 points to sneak in the playoffs, automatic maybe 6-7 more. Can we keep the intensity going? On tonight's showing no but there will be twists and turns to come. Injuries will be the ruin if we get too many more

Think the main thing tonight was not to lose. A win would’ve been brilliant but I’m happy with a point against a very good side. Our game relies on the running of garrity and some high energy play and I think we looked flat tonight from the first whistle. Wilson is the key for me. If we get him in the box and he’s shooting he’s going to score goals. He had a couple of decent efforts tonight all sadly from outside the area and didn’t trouble the keeper too much. Sutton will be a big horrible side bit they score goals and perhaps will be happy for a point here so it’s important we attack them and get that high tempo and crowd behind us to roar us to a massive win. We’ve done well stay in the mix I thought it was all over a month ago. Charsely and garrity tonight didn’t offer much running forward and thought we lacked a bit tonight in terms of driving on up the pitch. Proctor is needed for the run in and if him and Wilson stay fit then there’s no reason why we can’t get into the play offs. Saturday is a huge game. I’ll take ten points from the last four games though. Get them rested now and ready to go again Saturday. And a bit of luck on the injury front would be nice. I can’t believe how many injuries we’ve had to players this season. 

7 hours ago, Nightwish said:

Mansfield are to be feared with three games in hand.

Nothing we can do about them, they’re out of our hands, we can only concern ourselves with our performances. No point worrying about other teams who we haven’t even got to play. 

7 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

Caprice their LWB best player on the pitch. Strong, fast, gave Wozza real problems & one of the few in this league to get the better of him over 90 mins.

He might have been quick and had the beating of him for pace yet he created nothing for them. 

A point on the board against one of our rivals. They came to spoil the game and it worked.

In December and January combined,we played 6 league games. In February and March combined,we have played 12, and it showed...we looked leggy and short of ideas.

That said, we've only lost 2 out of 14. Still in with a chance and goal difference could come into it.

I hope Exeter waste a lot of time in their upcoming games and it bites them on the bum. There should have been about 10 minutes in each half!

On to the next game...

I shall forever refer to this one as 'The Game of Throws' *starts humming a well known theme tune

I thought we were decent but just ran out of steam. I do get some of the points surfacing on this thread about our attacking play. We've been a bit fortunate recently with some weak goalkeeping. We stopped getting as high up the pitch 2nd half which made our usual 'fifa goal' attack less likely. By that i mean we love an edge of the box cut back.

Fair play to exeter. What a well organised team

Ran out of gas in the end understandably but played well and in fairness Exeter were solid and got the point they came for.

Shame Amoo didn’t get a toe on at the end to win but would have been harsh on Exeter.

Need to rest up and try and beat Sutton, if we do it’s a great point tonight and then look forward to a free week to recharge the batteries again.

Aside from Easter we only have one more Two game week so hopefully that will be a benefit going forward.

Archived