• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Advert:

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

There's bound to be more ups and downs and shock results to come.

Northampton last 3 aways 

Scunny 0 cobblers 0

Rochdale 1 cobblers 0

Carlisle 2 cobblers 1 

Tranmere had first win in 5 on Friday. 

We've got to hang in there and believe. 

For me the teams on a bit of a roll are Exeter and Bristol rovers. Mansfield were but let's see how react to a defeat .Other than them there's a lot of inconsistency at the moment amongst the challengers. 

We are certainly still in the mix and have all been frustrated particularly at Rochdale and Colchester but we aren't the only one. 

Hopefully we can now step on the gas and finish strongly. 

Great post.

UTV

• Like 1

Our last 4 wins by the way have been against Crawley Scunthorpe and Stevenage at home and carlise away before they appointed Paul Simpson so we have only beat poor sides recently. With us having Mansfield Newport Bristol rovers Sutton at home Exeter home and away to come then we need to beat some of the better sides to stand a chance of play offs or top 3 if people still think we can make that.

• Like 1

I have us down for at least 10 more points than what we currently have on the basis of the games played and overall deserving of better.

What's done done some magical games up the Vale to be played between now and season end .

Real big games with lots riding on them .

To me the best sides i have seen this season are Mansfield and Newport County ,we have them both at home the crowd has a major part play it might lead to a dodgy 90th minute penalty given to Vale in a game what's 0-0.

If you see things clicking no wonder AC had a smile on his face yesterday the defeat v Colchester was a blessing in disguise cause we had to ditch certain things after that game .

Vale can and will be promoted .

Advert:

34 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

I have us down for at least 10 more points than what we currently have on the basis of the games played and overall deserving of better.

What's done done some magical games up the Vale to be played between now and season end .

Real big games with lots riding on them .

To me the best sides i have seen this season are Mansfield and Newport County ,we have them both at home the crowd has a major part play it might lead to a dodgy 90th minute penalty given to Vale in a game what's 0-0.

If you see things clicking no wonder AC had a smile on his face yesterday the defeat v Colchester was a blessing in disguise cause we had to ditch certain things after that game .

Vale can and will be promoted .

If they play on the front foot like they did for 70mns yesterday the fans will get behind them 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

Our last 4 wins by the way have been against Crawley Scunthorpe and Stevenage at home and carlise away before they appointed Paul Simpson so we have only beat poor sides recently. With us having Mansfield Newport Bristol rovers Sutton at home Exeter home and away to come then we need to beat some of the better sides to stand a chance of play offs or top 3 if people still think we can make that.

Agreed...And you can flip it as well,  Mansfield Newport Bristol Rovers and Sutton have all to play Port Vale at Vale Park not a straight forward proposition for them, they won't look forward to playing us.

• Like 4

Big game, interestingly considering Mansfield’s recent overall form and league position their away form is in the bottom third of the division over the season, if we can get an early goal with their loss on Friday hopefully that can knock them a bit and get us behind the boys.

We owe Mansfield one after some hideous performance against them in recent years.

7 points from these four humdingers minimum requirement. Would leave us needed around 12/13 points from the last 8 which is feasible.

• Like 2

I thought we played really well against Forest Green at home and deserved to win that. They are the best organised and most professional team in the league. We should have done better against the likes of Northampton at home. So the capability is there but its important to play consistently well now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Big game, interestingly considering Mansfield’s recent overall form and league position their away form is in the bottom third of the division over the season, if we can get an early goal with their loss on Friday hopefully that can knock them a bit and get us behind the boys.

We owe Mansfield one after some hideous performance against them in recent years.

7 points from these four humdingers minimum requirement. Would leave us needed around 12/13 points from the last 8 which is feasible.

Stating the obvious but 3 wins and a loss is better than 1 win and 3 draws. We have drawn too many this season. 

• Like 1

Advert:

12 hours ago, WV said:

Two teams in form, could be a cagey affair. I’m hoping I can celebrate my birthday with a Vale win but a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world (or season) 

No - indeed it wouldn't! This isn't one of our games in hand as all the teams above us are playing the same night...Swinedon and Sutton playing against each other, so it would just be one more point towards the  total. We're on 53pts now, with 12 games to play - 36 points to go for. In the last 6 seasons, 75 has twice been good enough to make 7th place, with 71pts and 70pts in the other 4 seasons...so 8 wins out of 12 ought to see us there, and fewer than that if we win against teams above us. We are still very much in this...let's have less negativity until we're not?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, blackdog said:

Agreed...And you can flip it as well,  Mansfield Newport Bristol Rovers and Sutton have all to play Port Vale at Vale Park not a straight forward proposition for them, they won't look forward to playing us.

True, also how many of those teams have yet to play each other.

• Like 1

With Proctor in the side, we are much more balanced. No wonder Wilson, Woz and Garrity were on fire.

Phil Sproson, in commentary on Saturday, highlighted how deep the back three were playing, leaving too much space in midfield.

His verdict. Good going forward, not so great defensively.

We prevailed on Saturday. Probably need to be better still tomorrow night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

True, also how many of those teams have yet to play each other.

You are bang on. A lot of teams will play each other and take points off each other.

Mansfield have FGR twice yet for example. 

Only in the next 2 weeks we have the following

March 15h

Vale v Mansfield , Swindon v Sutton

March 19th 

Northampton v Bris Rov , Sutton v Tranmere

March 22nd

Vale V Exeter 

Suttons next three games are Swindon, Tranmere and Vale

All to play for , we are far from out of this. 

• Like 5

Advert:

We look so much better when we are  on the front foot. Wozza is twice the player to the Vale going forward than he is back defending. Why would you have one of the best providers of chances in the league spending a disproportionate amount of his time doing defensive duties. Especially when we havent been scoring.

Lets go at teams and go for it. As someone said earlier give the fans something to cheer about, and they will.

No messing about with the formation, or personnel as far as injury permits. Tomorrow I think is as much about confidence as it is the points. I think the mental hit of a defeat would be worse than the logic of the table. I always put it down to what Vale do, not what other teams bring. If we play like we can and have, nobody in this league can outplay us apart from the odd spell from a few select teams. If we turn up we win, if we don't turn up we give teams opportunities.

• Like 1