onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Breadwinner

Advert

7 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

My marks 

Stone 7.5 no chance with goal unbelievable save at 2-1 from Smith's sliced clearance .

Smith 8.9 won everything when under seige at times did his job really well .

Martin 7.6 mistake for goal but kept his head and played rest of game very well .

Hall 7.6 

Worrall 6.7 pushed back too much second half for my liking .

Pett 7.5 did a great job after poor ball forwards for there goal maybe should have scored .

Garrity 8.9 magnificent player every blade of grass covered sent Wilson through for first along with Proctor wins ball in areas where the ball could drop for us all game when on offensive .

Hussey 6 

Wilson 8.3 had a good game goal the goalie should be saving that but who cares he deserved it for having a good game  

Charsley 7.6 we controlled first hr of game his work did not go unnoticed volleyed one which would have flown in but great defensive block .

Proctor 8.9 how prominent was this lad very I will tell you a constant pain with great feet that set up for third goal worth the admission fee he is brilliant 

Subs 

Walker 7 did what he had to do .

Harratt 9.0 two goals in right place at right time think he is going pivotal in run in as they all are the squad players that is natural finisher his interview had me buzzing  

Benning 9.0 what a contribution well done lad 

Got to say, Hall was much better than a 7.6. So cool calm and collected, talking the ball and driving forward, spraying inch perfect passes to worrall. To have him at the same marks as Martin who had a solid game but was caught out for their goal, seems unfair

4 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Got to say, Hall was much better than a 7.6. So cool calm and collected, talking the ball and driving forward, spraying inch perfect passes to worrall. To have him at the same marks as Martin who had a solid game but was caught out for their goal, seems unfair

Hall is too good for league 2 dont get cbs that composed and assured at this level. Aswell as being a really solid defender 

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Hall is too good for league 2 dont get cbs that composed and assured at this level. Aswell as being a really solid defender 

He's an absolute Rolls Royce. How we got him for Legge and a nominal fee i will never know, Flickers is a magician.

Great result, a potential banana skin game after their loss to Tranmere, Martin recovered well after getting tangled up for their goal (Pett's misplaced pass did him over), Smudge had his head on everything high or low , Garritty is a man running around full of confidence, Wilson's goal was fortunate in that the goalkeeper had spaghetti arms but it was a great run with 2 defenders chasing him down and I think we've struggled at times for someone to just have a go at goal and it shows it can pay off. 

I looked at his effort that was given offside, it was the right decision, he tried to get back onside but couldn't quite time it.

Stone has really taken the opportunity to be first choice goalkeeper, that finger tip save onto the crossbar from Smudge in the 85th minute was huge. You can't really see it on the highlights but from the Paddock he gets enough on it.

Interesting to see the Vale player's reaction to Harratt's second goal, they went straight over to Procter who put the ball back across goal to Harratt and made a huge fuss of him. A popular player amongst the team and his contributions like that will do him the world of good.

Special mentions go to Sir Mal Benning and the ballboy in front of the Paddock. I think he started against Mansfield at their ground in the reverse fixture and didn't really do a great deal, came on for Hussey who was poor, he showed desire to get forward, to move the ball about. I think with Benning, there is a great player there, Mansfield fans hold him in high regard, and maybe when he's been given the chance before he's tried too hard to impress and it can sometimes have the opposite effect. I really hope fans will get off his back now as he could be needed with Hussey out of form and Gibbo injured.

The ballboy dropping the ball at 2-1 in front of us at the paddock is the kind of behaviour I'm all for, an absolute sensational bit of sh*thousery.

28 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Also how bloody good is proctor. Honestly his hold up play and flick ons are way to good for this league. Involved in every goal and 2 direct assists. The man is an absolute animal. Cbs should be absolutely terrified of the prospect of playing agaisnt them because he bullies everyone. His aggression and effort is irreplaceable and is pivotal to our promotion push 

We’ve tried for a long time to replace Pope, his hold up play and ability in the air was top notch for this level. But finally we’ve sound someone and Proctor is easily more than an adequate replacement for him. 

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

S'housery101.mov 10.9 MB · 0 downloads  

Great result, a potential banana skin game after their loss to Tranmere, Martin recovered well after getting tangled up for their goal (Pett's misplaced pass did him over), Smudge had his head on everything high or low , Garritty is a man running around full of confidence, Wilson's goal was fortunate in that the goalkeeper had spaghetti arms but it was a great run with 2 defenders chasing him down and I think we've struggled at times for someone to just have a go at goal and it shows it can pay off. 

I looked at his effort that was given offside, it was the right decision, he tried to get back onside but couldn't quite time it.

Stone has really taken the opportunity to be first choice goalkeeper, that finger tip save onto the crossbar from Smudge in the 85th minute was huge. You can't really see it on the highlights but from the Paddock he gets enough on it.

Interesting to see the Vale player's reaction to Harratt's second goal, they went straight over to Procter who put the ball back across goal to Harratt and made a huge fuss of him. A popular player amongst the team and his contributions like that will do him the world of good.

Special mentions go to Sir Mal Benning and the ballboy in front of the Paddock. I think he started against Mansfield at their ground in the reverse fixture and didn't really do a great deal, came on for Hussey who was poor, he showed desire to get forward, to move the ball about. I think with Benning, there is a great player there, Mansfield fans hold him in high regard, and maybe when he's been given the chance before he's tried too hard to impress and it can sometimes have the opposite effect. I really hope fans will get off his back now as he could be needed with Hussey out of form and Gibbo injured.

The ballboy dropping the ball at 2-1 in front of us at the paddock is the kind of behaviour I'm all for, an absolute sensational bit of sh*thousery.

What a performance from the ball boy. So casually done. On another night would could have been a MoM!  

Proper laugh out loud video, thanks for sharing.

20 hours ago, jasmart02 said:

If everyone is fit and because I would not have to explain in the media afterwards if there is not a win I would play the same 11 as Saturday although there is a case to be made for swapping Garrity or Charsley for Walker to be more difficult to break down. A performance is due in an important game as we have a tendency to under perform in these type of fixtures. The result against Crawley could well be the turning point of the season after conceding first in the manner that we did the wheels could have come off quite quickly, so to win the game  in that manner may turn out to be significant. 

2 0 

I was going to reply to you before the match but I would now ask why oh why did you even suggest Garrity to be replaced?  IMO that is utter insanity mate. Ben is and has been a massive shining light in our season. The bloke has got a Rolls Royce engine, can score goals and harries the hell out of opponents. He is first name on the team sheet for me and we build the squad around him. I would guess that all teams playing against him hate him as they cant work out where he will pop up next.  Get a grip!

I believe Mansfield had two of there best players out! But so did we.The depth of our squad is so good no bench warmers just lads who can make a great difference. We really do not have to fear anyone if we keep playing like this then anything is possible.

From the last 12 games, despite the one loss, we have amassed 21 points at exactly 1.75 points per game.  With eleven matches remaining and 56 points in the bag, if we can get anywhere near the 1.75 points per game mark, we'll end up at around the 75 points total. 

Our points per game over the 35 matches we've played so far is 1.6.  Apply that to the remaining 11 fixtures and we end up with around 73/74 points total. 

I realise that pure mathematical calculations have little to do with real life football matches, but what do these potential totals mean for us in terms of the play-offs? IMO, unless Mansfield & Exeter (34 games & 35 games played respectively) have a really poor end to their seasons, I think that our battle for the last  play-off place is going to be with Bristol Rovers & Sutton Utd.  Any other views on this--either mathematically or gut-instinct?

Whatever happens, one thing is for sure, it's going to be an intriguing and exciting end to the season--Come on you Vale and let's hope we enjoy every minute of it!

Us, Exeter and Bristol Rovers have the most six pointers left to play.

Things will become clearer in a few weeks.

I tried to do a graph plotting everybody’s predicted results but the pattern was so unreadable I might as well have drawn a load of fox heads on sticks. 

20 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Our points per game over the 35 matches we've played so far is 1.6.  Apply that to the remaining 11 fixtures and we end up with around 73/74 points total. 

Over recent seasons 70-75 gets you in the play-offs. So average 1.6 points a game might well be enough. Average 2 points a game (which we have for the last 5) that's 78 and you'd really be unlucky not to make the play-offs.  On the other had automatics requires typically 80+ so that would require something special. But possible. 

Garrity must be the most improved player of the season. Pick of the midfield again last night. Seems to have added  incisive passing/assisting to his game.

16 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Over recent seasons 70-75 gets you in the play-offs. So average 1.6 points a game might well be enough. Average 2 points a game (which we have for the last 5) that's 78 and you'd really be unlucky not to make the play-offs.  On the other had automatics requires typically 80+ so that would require something special. But possible. 

Garrity must be the most improved player of the season. Pick of the midfield again last night. Seems to have added  incisive passing/assisting to his game.

Couldn't agree more with your comments on Garrity--he's really upped his game and is thankfully rising to the challenge of filling-in for the absent Tom Conlon.

Even runaway leaders FGR aren't averaging 2 points a game, so I think that it is unrealistic to think that we could manage 22 points over the next 11 matches.  I do agree with you that an automatic slot is now almost certainly beyond us (although I'd love to be proven wrong on this!) and that's why realistically, I think we shall be battling for one of the last two play-off berths.

Just echoing those thoughts on Garrity, he had a sticky couple of months and has come good again. Clearly we need to play him in his most effective position and allow him the freedom to make his runs into the box and play off the front 2. 

Archived