onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Breadwinner

I thought it was an excellent team performance tonight. One thing I don’t think can be questioned is this team has some character. Twice in a row we’ve fallen behind and instead kept being positive and turned the game round. Great credit to the players and staff.

James Wilson is just a hugely gifted player. His intelligence and technical ability is as good as can remember in a Vale shirt. Thought defensively we were very good. Yes Martin should have done better on their goal but didn’t let it affect him and played well afterwards. One thing I think may be forced for Saturday is Benning to start in place of Hussey who looked like he was struggling when he came off. If anything with Benning having more pace it might make us even trickier as an opponent.

Advert

19 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Great result, a game we had to win with all the other results going against us but 3 points gained on Sutton and Mansfield and that goal difference better than everyone's apart from Forest Green.  The only negative for me was the gate, we are going for the play offs and only 4300 Vale fans turned up, Carol, the players and management team deserve more fans than that and hopefully more there next Tuesday.

Think the gate was wrong tonight there was more people than saturday 

Not long back in from the match .

Thoughts overall I feel we deserved win .

There goal was against the run of play in my opinion has Vale started much the brighter side.

Pett shot wide after great set up play from someone at a guess JP or BG as we responded well .

Then BG has sent Wilson on his way he as shot and its gone in OK there goalie probably shouldn't be beaten by that .

Then Wilson being put clean through and the linesman sticks his flag up  as Vale generally are the better of the two sides first half Absolutely. 

Second half we actually first 15 started quite well BG has headed over and we looked to me like a matter of time before we scored .

Then Nigel Clough the good manager has made some changes and they in fairness were the better side for a lot of the remainder of the game but ⁹⁸ we kept plugging away and scored the two goals through sheer hard work and perseverance and the ball ran for us at both ends has we gave them a golden chance score and Stone saved and then I think we deflected one onto our own bar while they were cursing there misfortune we were battling especially JAMIE PROCTOR was who led the line magnificently and he flicked on with head for Harratt to score first of his 2 and from Bennings excellent ball in has put it on a plate for his second .

Brilliant Night the sky's the limit .

My man of the Match was Jamie Proctor followed closely by Smith and Martin and Hall but everyone gave there all so no marks under 7 .4 tonight .

Well done Vale 

Great win. Solid performances all round. I thought Wilson was awesome for 60 mins until he ran out of steam.

I think the defence played very well tonight.. Martin struggled  1st 30 mins but grew into the game showed his experience in the 2nd half. Smith was…..well standard Smith  performance and I thought Hall had his best performance in a Vale shirt.

Again this group showed  a lot of character to come from behind against a team I think will  be in the playoffs minimum.

MOTM for me Stone. Made very good crucial saves when needed.The one on to the bar was top class.

Biggest congratulations though goes to Crosby.He showed some balls to try and win the game with good substitutions where it would have been easier to keep it tight and be content with a draw. 

8 more wins to go.

13 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought benning was very good as well when he came on added a lot of energy down the left 

He did well we he came on. Much better than the bloke he replaced. Hussey has been a huge disappointment for me. Some good balls in the box but after that he offers nowt at all. Throw ins look suspiciously like fouls. His passing is awful and he persistently just smashes it forward with no direction. 

Cracking win though regardless. On to Bradford with more of the same please! 

Very entertaining game. Stating the obvious but the subs amazingly worked for us. Their first sub changed the flow of the game in their favour but then we had to react and how. Obviously Harratt gets the plaudits but Benning had a great little cameo. Again, like Stone, I watched him at Burton and thought he had a really good game and was unlucky to drop out of the picture.

More widely, I thought Stone was excellent and his save second half could well be a defining point of the season; the three CB’s were decent save for the breakdown in communication that lead to the goal although it was a dreadful ball by Pett; some of Wilson’s touches are just superb and likewise Proctor; and Charsley I thought was industrious and how he didn’t score early in the 2nd half I’ll never know, just have to say well done to the defender.  

And Harratt…. well that’s how to influence a game. I actually said at the time I thought Edmundson might have been better because of their physicality but he put himself about, chased, harried and is that ‘fox in the box’ which, with a season or two under his belt will be a very good player.

Seems harsh to pick negatives but I thought it was a surprisingly poor crowd given the importance of the game, saved by a decent number of away fans. I also thought Worrall was a bit off his game, injured/knackered maybe? I still think the midfield is short of a bit of strength and guile, like an Anthony Grant-type player.  

I think we needed that win to give us confidence to kick on and the games don’t get any easier with Bradford hitting some form.

1 hour ago, valefan79 said:

Great result, a game we had to win with all the other results going against us but 3 points gained on Sutton and Mansfield and that goal difference better than everyone's apart from Forest Green.  The only negative for me was the gate, we are going for the play offs and only 4300 Vale fans turned up, Carol, the players and management team deserve more fans than that and hopefully more there next Tuesday.

Even with a win tonight we weren't going to get in the top 7, so it wasn't quite a massive game in the bigger scheme of things. As it happens I thought there were far more than 4.2k Vale there tonight...and those there made the noise of many more. 

7 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Much less in the paddock.

…..and in Bycars.  That aside it was a great performance, not as fluid as we can be but gritty.  We stood up well to the challenge.  The critics of Smith should watch that game through a couple of times to see what he brings to the team.

The only criticism I have is why the hell didn’t we revert back to this formation a bit sooner?  We look a different team with the extra man in midfield.

Archived