Gordon Lee RIP

efsb

Sad news, Gordon Lee was a pretty good manager for PV.  I remember one particular good cup result, when having drawn at Sunderland (when I think they were in the top division), we beat them in the replay at Vale Park and I was there in a near-capacity crowd. I

have never forgotten the headline the next day in the newspaper:  "Lee's Lions maul stars of Roker" great  headline & great times.  RIP Gordon

Advert:

17 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Sad news, Gordon Lee was a pretty good manager for PV.  I remember one particular good cup result, when having drawn at Sunderland (when I think they were in the top division), we beat them in the replay at Vale Park and I was there in a near-capacity crowd. I

have never forgotten the headline the next day in the newspaper:  "Lee's Lions maul stars of Roker" great  headline & great times.  RIP Gordon

There was a 3-1 Cup victory, Grainger the star, Cloughie on the losing side ,28,000, Norman Low the manager. Both were good managers.

• Like 1

Way before my time but seems underrated for his time with Vale. Got us out of division 4 after a dreadful Matthews era saw us nearly kicked out the league. 

As we know today, getting out of div 4 is not as easy as it seems. 

What a career though, especially with Everton. Got overlooked it seems as he was just before their own glory period. 

RIP

• Like 1

Advert:

During Gordon's tenure,  his name was as synonymous with The Vale as any player. He was a proper manager with an encyclopedic knowledge of the game. A great leader who transformed The Vale in to a modern progressive team by the time he left,  to continue his work at higher levels. 

RIP Gordon,  thank you for your time at The Vale 

• Like 2

He was an amazing manager for us. Dug us out of a ten foot deep hole in league 4 to a decent  L3 side. Signed some great players that made us a bob or two when we really needed it. 

And a really nice bloke. A much underrated Vale hero.  RIP 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Only just seen about Gordon's passing. 

In '72, as a 13 yr old me and my dad went to Fellows Park to witness our annual 2-0 defeat there. 

My dad died inside the ground during the game. (just before Horton missed that penalty!) 

About a week or so later, there was a knock on the door. My mother opened the door and standing there was Gordon Lee! 

I was in awe! He was ushered into the parlour (only usually used on Sunday's!) and the three of us talked. 

Gordon Lee saved my life! 

For him to seek me and my mother out in these terrible circumstances tells you what a man he was. 

I will never forget you Gordon. 

Thank you. 

Edited by RailwayRowdy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Advert:

20 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Only just seen about Gordon's passing. 

In '72, as a 13 yr old me and my dad went to Fellows Park to witness our annual 2-0 defeat there. 

My dad died inside the ground during the game. (just before Horton missed that penalty!) 

About a week or so later, there was a knock on the door. My mother opened the door and standing there was Gordon Lee! 

I was in awe! He was ushered into the parlour (only usually used on Sunday's!) and the three of us talked. 

Gordon Lee saved my life! 

For him to seek me and my mother out in these terrible circumstances tells you what a man he was. 

I will never forget you Gordon. 

Thank you. 

Think my Dad was at that game with you.

• Like 1