Gordon Lee RIP

efsb

Advert:

Advert:

Posted (edited)

When I was in the 6th form at Biddulph High, I used to work at Donald Ratcliffe’s garage on weekends and Gordon Lee (then Everton manager) used to come in when he wanted discount on a new car. Always said hello before Don ushered him away into the inner sanctum...

Edited by efsb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Manager the last time that Vale were Division Champions? (69-70?)

No we were not champions under Gordon.  The last manager to take us to a championship was Norman Low

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

44 minutes ago, efsb said:

When I was in the 6th form at Biddulph High, I used to work at Donald Machin's garage on weekends and Gordon Lee (then Everton manager) used to come in when he wanted discount on a new car. Always said hello before Don ushered him away into the inner sanctum...

I think you mean Don Ratcliffe our former chairman

• Like 1

Agree totally with Essex Vale. My memories go back to the Matthews era and whilst the likes of Mick Cullerton, Tommy Mac, John James will always be some of my favourite players, it was Gordon Lee who had to rescue the club from oblivion. 

RIP Gordon

• Like 3

Advert:

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ben said:

I think you mean Don Ratcliffe our former chairman

Yes! Ta - it’s been a while….original post corrected.

Edited by efsb
  • Like 1

Gordon Lee rescued the Vale, without him getting us up off the ropes and getting us into the 3rd division, I don't know what would have happened.

Arthur McPherson wanted a young track suited manager and Lee was recruited from Shrewsbury, the rest is history, the team wasn't the most accomplished or skilful but they were the hardest to beat, once we scrapped a goal it was game over, nobody liked the Vale, we were a modern day Wimbledon hard as nails, with Tommy Mac, Brian Horton, Johnny King, Ronnie Wilson, Jesse James and Clinton Boulton, no one took liberties, every game was a war, but the Vale fans loved it there were some unforgettable away games, I often wonder how many players we would have left on the pitch if we played like that now.

I was devastated when he left for Blackburn, he then went on to Newcastle United, Everton and PNE

RIP Gordon and thanks for the memories.

• Like 5

Guest Vale at home

RIP MR LEE . . YOU WORKED HARD FOR THE VALE . I REMEMBER YOU WELL . THANK YOU .