onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neutral Fan Visiting

Neutral22

Hi Vale fans,

Hope you don't mind me posting, I am looking for some advice for when we visit later this month.

Firstly a bit of background on why we are visiting, my teenage son and I are season ticket holders at a PL club, and back when the PL were arguing over how much money they were willing to send down to support football league clubs during the pandemic, my son made the suggestion that we could make our own contribution to clubs by visiting FL grounds as a neutral whenever we weren't at our club. We know that buying a ticket, programme, and food etc is only a small contribution in the grand scheme of things but I admire his attitude towards the situation, and the chance show him new grounds and watch some "proper" football is something I am definitely looking forward to.

Anyway, this weekend we've decided that Port Vale vs Sutton will be our first game, we definitely don't just want to turn up and leave on these visits, we want to soak up the traditional home fan atmosphere of every place we visit, so I am asking the fans if you could please share the best places for pre/post game drinks, food and anything else that we could see/do that helps us get involved with the home fan atmosphere.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to visiting on the 26th.

Advert

Everybody's welcome at Vale Park. My tips would be pre match drinks in The Bulls Head on St John's Square in Burslem. About 5-10 mins walk to the ground. A trip to the Potteries isn't complete without trying some Staffordshire oatcakes and luckily there's a decent shop that does hot filled oatcakes just a stones throw from the ground on Hamill Road. In terms of the ground, the Railway Paddock is the liveliest, the Railway Stand has the best view in my opinion.  We have also started  doing a fanzone outside the club shop on matchdays which has proved popular.

I'd recommend The Crown for quite a packed pub with Vale fans and good jukebox. The ales are questionable compared to The Bulls Head as suggested by Fuzzy but i'd definitely visit.

Johnnys Bar opposite The Bulls Head is worth a visit too.

Food, May Street Chip shop maybe 5 minutes walk from the ground is good.

Out of interest which Premier team do you support ? Won't hold it against you ha ha. 

I would endorse what others have said, the bulls head is probably the best pub to visit, the red lion, at the bottom of Hamil road and has just reopened after refurbishment, but can’t say what it’s like, also Robbie Williams used to live there.

cant visit Stoke on Trent without sampling the local delicacy oatcakes bacon and cheese is probably the most popular.

On 06/03/2022 at 20:45, Neutral22 said:

Hi Vale fans,

Hope you don't mind me posting, I am looking for some advice for when we visit later this month.

Firstly a bit of background on why we are visiting, my teenage son and I are season ticket holders at a PL club, and back when the PL were arguing over how much money they were willing to send down to support football league clubs during the pandemic, my son made the suggestion that we could make our own contribution to clubs by visiting FL grounds as a neutral whenever we weren't at our club. We know that buying a ticket, programme, and food etc is only a small contribution in the grand scheme of things but I admire his attitude towards the situation, and the chance show him new grounds and watch some "proper" football is something I am definitely looking forward to.

Anyway, this weekend we've decided that Port Vale vs Sutton will be our first game, we definitely don't just want to turn up and leave on these visits, we want to soak up the traditional home fan atmosphere of every place we visit, so I am asking the fans if you could please share the best places for pre/post game drinks, food and anything else that we could see/do that helps us get involved with the home fan atmosphere.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to visiting on the 26th.

Great attitude and well done to both of you! 

I hope your first visit is a memorable one - for all the good reasons, and that Vale Park welcomes you again, sometime?

Thank you all for the replies. We have bought tickets in the Railway Stand. 

3 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Sausage and cheese is my go to. Has to have cheese though. Cheese is essential.

Looking forward to trying this 🤤

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I'd recommend The Crown for quite a packed pub with Vale fans and good jukebox. The ales are questionable compared to The Bulls Head as suggested by Fuzzy but i'd definitely visit.

Johnnys Bar opposite The Bulls Head is worth a visit too.

Food, May Street Chip shop maybe 5 minutes walk from the ground is good.

Out of interest which Premier team do you support ? Won't hold it against you ha ha. 

I have checked history and see no reason for any hostility 🤞😆 happy to share we are Leicester City fans.

18 minutes ago, Neutral22 said:

I have checked history and see no reason for any hostility 🤞😆 happy to share we are Leicester City fans.

It is 30 years or so since we won at Filbert St

2 hours ago, Neutral22 said:

I lived in Leicester for 7 years (in the 90's), I had a view of the main stand at Filbert Street out of my bedroom window (in a loft on Grasmere Street).  Loved living in Leicester and will always have a soft spot for the city, and the team. 

6 hours ago, Neutral22 said:

Anyone who appreciates the legend that is Steve Guppy is a friend of ours. 

The best left foot this country has produced. 

13 hours ago, Neutral22 said:

You can't help being Leicester City fans 🤣.  Must admit to hoping Leicester City beat the top PL teams when they have been on TV and watched them.  But after a visit to Vale Park, hopefully you will fall in love with our Club and support us in thoughts when you are unable to visit.  Great on you both for doing this.  👏

You have to try the oatcakes - don't be put off by the looks - they are worth trying.  Try a bacon and cheese and also a sausage and cheese one. Both are great from the oatcake shop just up from the ground on Hamil Rd.  May St chippy is also good for chips and gravy.

Have a great day and hope the weather gods are kind to you and its sunny.

Archived