• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

5 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Out of interest when was the last time vale played in the play offs? I cant think of any in my 20 years following them 

92/93. Lost to West Brom at Wembley after finishing miles ahead of them in the league.

Advert:

26 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

92/93. Lost to West Brom at Wembley after finishing miles ahead of them in the league.

Thats got be one of the longest runs to not make them from any ever present football league side since then 

Advert:

2 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Thats got be one of the longest runs to not make them from any ever present football league side since then 

Blackburn have had a slightly longer play-off gap than that. Though they did win the Premier League in that time.

Other Premier League stalwarts and Football League newcomers have yet to compete in the play-offs, but in terms of actually having the ability to finish in th play-offs and yet failing to do so (including one solitary automatic promotion) our appalling record is unmatched

If we win our two games in hand we are back in the playoffs (I know two wins on the bounce sounds a lot these days, but, you know.....) plus Mansfield Sutton and Exeter all at home in the next couple of weeks.................... We can do this still - or end up about 15th having drawn all the rest of our games nil all 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We need 3 in midfield. We don't have the personnel for 2. Playing three up top looks attacking on paper but if we don't get it to them with any quality, and when we  occasionally do they look like strangers, then you get what we have seen for the last half a dozen games or so. Toothless.

Persisting with wing backs, 3 5 2 please, maybe even with Wilson as the furthest forward of the 5.  Or really radical do an Askey and 4 3 3 now and again.

Time to shake it up a bit. Because what we are doing at the moment is not working. Season is far from over if we can get going.  But that ain't going to happen if we carry on in the same vein hoping to be on the right side of a 1-0 score line.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, toyahw said:

We need 3 in midfield. We don't have the personnel for 2. Playing three up top looks attacking on paper but if we don't get it to them with any quality, and when we  occasionally do they look like strangers, then you get what we have seen for the last half a dozen games or so. Toothless.

Persisting with wing backs, 3 5 2 please, maybe even with Wilson as the furthest forward of the 5.  Or really radical do an Askey and 4 3 3 now and again.

Time to shake it up a bit. Because what we are doing at the moment is not working. Season is far from over if we can get going.  But that ain't going to happen if we carry on in the same vein hoping to be on the right side of a 1-0 score line.

3 in the middle is a must.

• Like 3

Advert:

How is it we could panic the FGR defenders into looking like pub players and other than the actions of a nut-case goalie beat them. 

Yet not repeat the same tactics against any other team?

Instead we build up so slowly when in possession that the opposition defence have time to make the tea and put the kettle on before we get to their penalty box!

• Like 1

I can't remember a season in league two where we haven't struggled against the <ovf censored> teams. Even in the promotion season when we really battered a team it was one of the ones towards the top. 

Historically, we just really struggle to break the ones down who come for a point. Would love to know why this is.

Guest Vale at home
5 hours ago, Hoppers said:

If we win our two games in hand we are back in the playoffs (I know two wins on the bounce sounds a lot these days, but, you know.....) plus Mansfield Sutton and Exeter all at home in the next couple of weeks.................... We can do this still - or end up about 15th having drawn all the rest of our games nil all 😂

I do agree . Well Said . Come on the vale 3 points ,please on Saturday .. 

5 hours ago, Hoppers said:

i know this is not possible as we play Mansfield, Sutton, Newport, Exeter and Bristol but the below might help. If each team is on 35 games and given wins to make them up to 35 played the table looks like this. We have the last play off spot on goal difference. 

Clearly its not that simple but thought it was a good visual aid. Basically cannot lose to anyone in the above

Played Won Drawn Lost for Against GD Points
1 Forest Green 35 19 11 4 64 29 35 71
2 Mansfield 35 16 8 8 44 34 10 65
3 Exeter 35 15 12 6 50 34 16 63
4 Northampton 35 17 9 9 42 29 13 60
5 Sutton 35 16 9 9 53 39 14 60
6 Port Vale 35 13 11 9 46 33 13 56
7 Tranmere 35 16 8 11 38 30 8 56
8 Newport 35 15 11 9 56 45 11 56
9 Swindon 35 15 10 10 58 44 14 55
10 Bristol Rovers 35 15 9 11 48 42 6 54
  • Like 3

Advert:

I can't remember a season in league two where we haven't struggled against the teams. Even in the promotion season when we really battered a team it was one of the ones towards the top. 
Historically, we just really struggle to break the ones down who come for a point. Would love to know why this is.
A blanket defence desperate for a point to avoid relegation is more difficult to break down than a promotion team looking for 3 points and opportunities. Football is a knife edge game unless there is a wide difference in skill, one chance often decides a game. Are ManC defensive because they keep the ball alot ?
  • Like 1

I don't think its just at the business end of the season. I remember us playing fancied favourites at the start of the season and playing them off the park, and then the team expecting to finish bottom beat us.