onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

Fosse69

14 hours ago, philmpv said:
16 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:
We currently have the best GD (+16) in the top 10 positions apart from FGR. Could be vital come season's end!

Funny that, given that how we've apparently got no goals in this team, can't keep a clean sheet, and have the worst keepers in the league

I know, but nevertheless it could yet be a deciding factor in the final play off places!

Advert

7 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Brilliant post. I agree entirely. And when people’s views are pulled apart, interrogated and challenged in a sensible and considered way, this forum will be much the better for it. 

Same with the challenges the club faces … doesn’t it get annoying when Carl goes on P&G and is just overly negative all the time declaring the season to over and everyone to be rubbish?

15 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m here, don’t worry. I haven’t been today (typically) due to family circumstances and so (despite being a season ticket holder and supported Vale for 35 years) that doesn’t permit me to comment according to some on here.

Great win for the lads and listening intermittently to Bowers & Sproson it sounded like we started off poorly but grew into the game after a fortuitous (?) equaliser then never really looked back.

I would say that, as @Bycarsbillsuggested today was vindication for what me and some of the other “moaners” have been saying, we’ve been underperforming by playing too cautiously and when we actually go after teams, we find out that we can score and beat them!! Who knew?! 

Anyway, onwards and (hopefully) upwards…

I try to be objective and balanced in my comments, whether it's to compliment or to moan!

21 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Brilliant post. I agree entirely. And when people’s views are pulled apart, interrogated and challenged in a sensible and considered way, this forum will be much the better for it. 

At least the season isn’t over until Tuesday now. 

22 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Last week we had people saying sack the interim manager, the season is over and I had lots of replies telling me I didn’t know what I was on about because I dared to suggest that the season wasn’t over as we were only 4 pts off the playoffs with plenty of games left. I was the unrealistic one to think we would ever win again. You can’t have sensible and considerate discussion when toys are getting thrown out of the park after 1 loss in 10 

19 minutes ago, WV said:

Last week we had people saying sack the interim manager, the season is over and I had lots of replies telling me I didn’t know what I was on about because I dared to suggest that the season wasn’t over as we were only 4 pts off the playoffs with plenty of games left. I was the unrealistic one to think we would ever win again. You can’t have sensible and considerate discussion when toys are getting thrown out of the park after 1 loss in 10 

Or only 3 wins in 10, which is hardly top-7 form either. I’ve never hidden from the fact that, after the summer investment in both playing staff and coaches, that I felt a top-3 place was realistic. Yes we’ve had some rotten luck, but injuries are part and parcel and there is no getting away from the fact that January’s business wasn’t great. I don’t recall ever saying the season was over but unless we put an incredible run together (yesterday may be the catalyst, probably know better after Tuesday) then the autos look slim if you look at the historical points required. We may get in the Play-offs but my personal view is that I don’t think we’ll win them (we’re bound to get Swindon or Northampton) but it’s a lottery and quite often it’s the team who hits form that wins. I feel there are certain types of team (strong, physical, niggly like Northampton or Newport, or Swindon who exploit the gaps in our midfield) we struggle against and with the likes of Brizzle, Oldham, Bradford and Walsall who have all hit form and Exeter twice, Newport, Sutton etc then it’s not going to be as straight-forward as some think on here. So I feel the odds at the moment suggest we’ll still be in L2 next year, irrespective of how the rest of the season plays out which hopefully see an exciting climax. I challenge anyone to say that would not be slightly disappointing. The issue then is the out of contract spine of the team and having to re-build again. 

10 hours ago, MBE said:

Personally I hate the new temporary speakers. It’s about 10 yards away from our seats and we can’t have a chat pre match or halftime because it’s so loud. 

Happy it’s the only think I can moan about today.

You must seat near to me and my lad. I felt sorry for the steward who was virtually sat on top of it . 

7 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Or only 3 wins in 10, which is hardly top-7 form either. I’ve never hidden from the fact that, after the summer investment in both playing staff and coaches, that I felt a top-3 place was realistic. Yes we’ve had some rotten luck, but injuries are part and parcel and there is no getting away from the fact that January’s business wasn’t great. I don’t recall ever saying the season was over but unless we put an incredible run together (yesterday may be the catalyst, probably know better after Tuesday) then the autos look slim if you look at the historical points required. We may get in the Play-offs but my personal view is that I don’t think we’ll win them (we’re bound to get Swindon or Northampton) but it’s a lottery and quite often it’s the team who hits form that wins. I feel there are certain types of team (strong, physical, niggly like Northampton or Newport, or Swindon who exploit the gaps in our midfield) we struggle against and with the likes of Brizzle, Oldham, Bradford and Walsall who have all hit form and Exeter twice, Newport, Sutton etc then it’s not going to be as straight-forward as some think on here. So I feel the odds at the moment suggest we’ll still be in L2 next year, irrespective of how the rest of the season plays out which hopefully see an exciting climax. I challenge anyone to say that would not be slightly disappointing. The issue then is the out of contract spine of the team and having to re-build again. 

Last 10 games form table has us 7th 

DA94CFC5-BAFD-4392-B379-F2F582D8F234.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

That’s interesting. But prior to yesterday it was 3 from 10 wasn’t it, which wouldn’t be top-7.

You could just say I was wrong. 

“And when people’s views are pulled apart, interrogated and challenged in a sensible and considered way, this forum will be much the better for it.”

Yesterday showed we’re much better when we dare to have a go at teams. We just need to do it from the first whistle.

I thought Stone absolutely justified his return to the side; Hall was very good with and without the ball; Wilson and Proctor, while not on the scoresheet, showed why they’re integral to our forward play by creating some very good assists; Charsley’s got a great engine and I love the way he relentlessly closes down the opposition. Thank the Lord for Garrity.

If we had Gibbons in for Hussey, I’d say we’ve a strong XI. I’m not entirely convinced by the latter. He reminds me of Benning in his tendency to play the ball either sideways or backwards - going against what you require from a wing back/winger.

3-5-2 worked well, unsurprisingly. It was nice to see Worrall more advanced in the first half. I’d like to see Amoo get some minutes during this next fortnight of consecutive fixtures. He has more to offer from the bench than Cooper and Harratt.

Half of our remaining games are against the top 9. It’s hard to know whether we’re capable of using that to our advantage. A 4-1 should surely instil some momentum for Tuesday, regardless.

3 minutes ago, Denry Machin said:

Yesterday showed we’re much better when we dare to have a go at teams. We just need to do it from the first whistle.

I thought Stone absolutely justified his return to the side; Hall was very good with and without the ball; Wilson and Proctor, while not on the scoresheet, showed why they’re integral to our forward play by creating some very good assists; Charsley’s got a great engine and I love the way he relentlessly closes down the opposition. Thank the Lord for Garrity.

If we had Gibbons in for Hussey, I’d say we’ve a strong XI. I’m not entirely convinced by the latter. He reminds me of Benning in his tendency to play the ball either sideways or backwards - going against what you require from a wing back/winger.

3-5-2 worked well, unsurprisingly. It was nice to see Worrall more advanced in the first half. I’d like to see Amoo get some minutes during this next fortnight of consecutive fixtures. He has more to offer from the bench than Cooper and Harratt.

Half of our remaining games are against the top 9. It’s hard to know whether we’re capable of using that to our advantage. A 4-1 should surely instil some momentum for Tuesday, regardless.

Blimey, I was about to post on here and then @Denry Machin sums up my thoughts exactly. 

I also thought Stone looked good in goal and I was also thinking that what we perhaps miss with Hussey is that surging pace down both flanks - so crucial when the wings create so many chances. That's not saying Hussey isn't steady - his defensive work was very good, I felt - but Gibbo just offers that star quality to win a match with a surging run, it's such a pity he's injured but hopefully he'll be back for the last few games. 

30 minutes ago, WV said:

You could just say I was wrong. 

“And when people’s views are pulled apart, interrogated and challenged in a sensible and considered way, this forum will be much the better for it.”

I actually give up. I really do. Trying to have a sensible debate really is like pulling teeth on here at times. 

Archived