onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

Fosse69

Advert

Big game a weeks preparation which is needed .

1170 minutes of the season to play lots of twists and turns to come Tranmere who are above us lost I think 5 out 7 .

We have lost one so let's put things into perspective .

Who was the better side yesterday ?

Colchester or PVFC  

PVFC for me our first defeat in ten seems unjust to me that Salford came in our penalty box probably once in the game not long ago yet we spent a good 37 out of second half in there half yesterday and nothing ran for us I do not think for one minute there was a lack of effort just lack of belief and quality .

So moving forwards and away from the disappointment of yesterday's giveaway we have to get things right for the home games ahead I for one think that the repercussions of that defeat could drive us to promotion .

The biggest week of the season for me this is a week where all squad players who have being omitted from  the starting line are justified in wanting a shirt for sat and maybe there chance may arise cannot imagine Crosby being the nicest person when things are not going well and neither should he be .

Let's hope a new Vale is reborn for last 13 games .

UTV 

29 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Big game a weeks preparation which is needed .

1170 minutes of the season to play lots of twists and turns to come Tranmere who are above us lost I think 5 out 7 .

We have lost one so let's put things into perspective .

Who was the better side yesterday ?

Colchester or PVFC  

PVFC for me our first defeat in ten seems unjust to me that Salford came in our penalty box probably once in the game not long ago yet we spent a good 37 out of second half in there half yesterday and nothing ran for us I do not think for one minute there was a lack of effort just lack of belief and quality .

So moving forwards and away from the disappointment of yesterday's giveaway we have to get things right for the home games ahead I for one think that the repercussions of that defeat could drive us to promotion .

The biggest week of the season for me this is a week where all squad players who have being omitted from  the starting line are justified in wanting a shirt for sat and maybe there chance may arise cannot imagine Crosby being the nicest person when things are not going well and neither should he be .

Let's hope a new Vale is reborn for last 13 games .

UTV 

Watched the Manchester Derby this afternoon. 4-1 to City. City very good. But Utd could have won that game simply by turning up and being more professional and disciplined. That is all it would have taken to reduce City from 4 to nil. But they didn't and there are clearly masses of trouble in the dressing room and club as a whole. 

No matter how frustrated I am with the Port Vale squad I wouldn't say anyone is ever unprofessional and not trying. But we do have a knack of shooting ourselves in the foot and head and private parts. That is letting goals in late or, in the case of Orient away, not going for it when we were on top late second half. So it is that and some sort of change to get us on the front foot attack wise that's needed. It is still there to play for. 

I have noticed we have to play the three dirtiest teams in the league during the run in. Barrow currently leading with red cards and yellows by some distance. 

If all are fit to start I would go with the following. Think walker and pett in cm gives garrity more licence to play further forward. 

Covolan

Smith - Martin - Hall

Worral - Walker - Pett - Hussey

Garrity

Proctor - Wilson

No idea what is up with jones but if fit i'd be tempted to put hall in centre of back 3 and jones on left of back three if he is available. Martin has been really good recently but we can't draw anymore so i would rather swap in jones and use his passing / throws to try and win at home. Also i know there is probably more to the cov situation than we know, but we seem to play 5 yards higher up the pitch with him in net. The debate about Holy will rage on, but the fact is that he hasnt done anything above average since he joined and his shots to conceeded ratio must be terrible.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

If all are fit to start I would go with the following. Think walker and pett in cm gives garrity more licence to play further forward. 

Covolan

Smith - Martin - Hall

Worral - Walker - Pett - Hussey

Garrity

Proctor - Wilson

No idea what is up with jones but if fit i'd be tempted to put hall in centre of back 3 and jones on left of back three if he is available. Martin has been really good recently but we can't draw anymore so i would rather swap in jones and use his passing / throws to try and win at home. Also i know there is probably more to the cov situation than we know, but we seem to play 5 yards higher up the pitch with him in net. The debate about Holy will rage on, but the fact is that he hasnt done anything above average since he joined and his shots to conceeded ratio must be terrible.

The defence has been tighter since Holy arrived. I'm not saying he is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen play and he has scope for improvement in coming out of box - Cov did get sent off for that - but a good goalkeeper doesn't get noticed because he is standing in the right place and / or blocking out the goalframe. Holy does that extremely well. 

It is the difference between say Pickford at Everton, who is a bang average Premier League goalkeeper who dives around loads, and say Alison Becker who is a top level goalkeeper and doesn't dive around. So with Alison it is often difficult to remember him doing anything; but he has. 

On 06/03/2022 at 13:26, Santa said:

We will play 3-4-3. We will score a goal, then fail to kill the game off. Crawley will fashion one clear cut chance on target and will score from it. People will wonder if the keeper could have done better.

1-1.

You missed the key players hobbling off between events.

It makes me laugh how people focus on the goalkeeper regardless of 4 or 5 alternating players doing <ovf censored> all in the same game, possibly giving the ball away / not tracking back / being out of position for the very goal the keeper gets criticised for. The whole team needs getting better sharpish to sniff playoffs ever again.

4 hours ago, Warren said:

The defence has been tighter since Holy arrived. I'm not saying he is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen play and he has scope for improvement in coming out of box - Cov did get sent off for that - but a good goalkeeper doesn't get noticed because he is standing in the right place and / or blocking out the goalframe. Holy does that extremely well. 

It is the difference between say Pickford at Everton, who is a bang average Premier League goalkeeper who dives around loads, and say Alison Becker who is a top level goalkeeper and doesn't dive around. So with Alison it is often difficult to remember him doing anything; but he has. 

Sorry but that is incorrect.  Lucas commands his whole box far better than Holy - who is not a bad keeper, he's just not as good as Lucas.

Lucas is far better at marshalling the whole defence and his distribution is excellent.

Holy

Worrall Smith Hall Martin Hussey

Walker Charsley Pett

Wilson Proctor

Best strikers we have together, makes sense.

It’s Garrity or Charsley for me because nobody else in the midfield can pass the ball forward. It’s not been working so let’s try Charsley.

We need to swap Amoo, Harratt and Edmondson for 2 experienced strikers in the summer, but until then we plod along.

Would drop Worrall myself but How can you when nobody else is fit to fill in half the time. I wouldn’t mind giving Benning a go because realistically he’ll hitting the road jack come the summer, so give him a little run around. Maybe Jones could dust the cobwebs off at some point, as he can cross and throw a bit.

28 minutes ago, Osh said:

Sorry but that is incorrect.  Lucas commands his whole box far better than Holy - who is not a bad keeper, he's just not as good as Lucas.

Lucas is far better at marshalling the whole defence and his distribution is excellent.

He’ll be back. Cov and a new guy to battle it out for top dog next season, woof woof.

Everyone loves some stats, right? With 13 games remaining I've taken a look at our last 13 league games, in the hope it can give us an idea around where we will finish.

3 wins from our last 13 league games, against Scunthorpe, Carlisle & Stevenage.

4 losses & 6 draws.

15 points from 36 available since the Christmas period. That's 1.15 points per game. 13 x 1.15 = 15 (almost)

So if we carry on in the same turgid form we've seen since Xmas, we can expect to finish the season on 65 points, which would probably see us top half, but 6/7 points shy of playoffs.

In summary, we're probably going to be a bit short this year, unless we can string a running win together. Which seems unlikely given current performances. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make the playoffs now but let's hope for a win v Crawley to build some confidence. 

Just unleash them Crosby. Play our best players in their best positions. We have absolutely nothing to lose, we're not going down!

Archived