onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Well today’s result more or less confirms league 2 football next season. Ultimately poor player recruitment has cost us. The three goalkeepers we have brought in since Brown was released at the start of the season haven’t been good enough. Not enough was done to sign Politic on a permanent deal and we have missed his creativity and more importantly, goals. The two young strikers we brought in on loan in January, haven’t pulled up any trees or scored enough goals, although you can’t fault their effort. 
Do we really need a director of football and half a dozen coaches at league 2 level? I would rather the money be spent on getting decent players in. What is the point of having so many coaches, if the players that have been recruited aren’t good enough? 

Advert

49 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Slightly off topic but to emphasise our luck against other clubs remarkable luck… Swindon score a penalty (remember them) after 96 minutes. You just know it’s not meant to be.

I’m not sure how winning a penalty (in any minute) can be attributed to luck? We’ve not had one penalty this season, but how many should we have had? I can’t think of many. Garrity at Burton stands out, but even that was a cup game. 

You create your own luck over the course of the season. Conceding late goals frequently is also not bad luck. 

Getting injuries can seem bad luck. However, we had the January window to try and help this. A window where we signed multiple players to help us get promoted. We’ve gone worse since then.

I just don’t get why we persist with a formation that hasn’t worked for weeks now when we could of reverted back to one which had us flying?

It’s just stupid.

We’ve had some rotten luck this season and it does feel like it wasn’t meant to be with the injuries, Covid back log and losing DC.

That said we’ve let ourselves down at times, we’ve had enough to beat Oldham three times over and lost late one, should see out Sutton and today despite how bad we were, still with that dominance second half we should be winning. They were as bad as they were when we walloped them at Vale Park.

Add in the Rochdale balls up at the end and again comes down to game management and mentality, that is a problem we seem to have had since the Covid season where we’d have made the play offs with better late game management.

I’m not overly fussed about Flickers taking over, he is a DOF and that’s his role, you don’t usually see them cover but it’s obvious Crosby is an excellent coach and not a manager.

Overall it feels flat, it’s a massive failure not to make the play offs really with this squad, the investment and set up and level we were at earlier in the season. Simple as that, and it’s pretty gutting we are stuck playing in this dross level next season.

Have to finish strongly now and try and build towards hitting next season running, figure out who we want to keep and who we don’t.

Doesn’t need a big overhaul again but clearly so areas need addressing such as goalkeeper and attacking midfielder.

We had Politic for half of the season and barely played him. Never played 4-3-3, never changed our style to give him game time. We never saw the best of him.

Suddenly Cooper plays and we bend over backwards to fit him in the starting 11. Even though he’s half the player of Politic.

I don’t get it. 

I would give my left arm to see Politic right now. Just for a bit of excitement. Imagine a Vale player actually taking a man on and having a shot? 

8 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

We had Politic for half of the season and barely played him. Never played 4-3-3, never changed our style to give him game time. We never saw the best of him.

Suddenly Cooper plays and we bend over backwards to fit him in the starting 11. Even though he’s half the player of Politic.

I don’t get it. 

I would give my left arm to see Politic right now. Just for a bit of excitement. Imagine a Vale player actually taking a man on and having a shot? 

I would too, yet he has not played a single game for his new club. Politic was great but it never looked possible he would sign here. 

1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

I would too, yet he has not played a single game for his new club. Politic was great but it never looked possible he would sign here. 

I understand his wage demands may have been too high but we miss someone of his ilk massively. He could have been the difference in a game like the one today. 

22 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I just don’t get why we persist with a formation that hasn’t worked for weeks now when we could of reverted back to one which had us flying?

It’s just stupid.

We’ve had some rotten luck this season and it does feel like it wasn’t meant to be with the injuries, Covid back log and losing DC.

That said we’ve let ourselves down at times, we’ve had enough to beat Oldham three times over and lost late one, should see out Sutton and today despite how bad we were, still with that dominance second half we should be winning. They were as bad as they were when we walloped them at Vale Park.

Add in the Rochdale balls up at the end and again comes down to game management and mentality, that is a problem we seem to have had since the Covid season where we’d have made the play offs with better late game management.

I’m not overly fussed about Flickers taking over, he is a DOF and that’s his role, you don’t usually see them cover but it’s obvious Crosby is an excellent coach and not a manager.

Overall it feels flat, it’s a massive failure not to make the play offs really with this squad, the investment and set up and level we were at earlier in the season. Simple as that, and it’s pretty gutting we are stuck playing in this dross level next season.

Have to finish strongly now and try and build towards hitting next season running, figure out who we want to keep and who we don’t.

Doesn’t need a big overhaul again but clearly so areas need addressing such as goalkeeper and attacking midfielder.

You have summed it up perfectly 

Archived