onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Hoppers said:

there have been some good sense points put across on this forum, but you have summed up perfectly. We all hope for play offs, but if some other club had suffered this list of misfortune and ended up mid table we would have said well done to them 

Look at the praise Rooney is getting at Derby for his dealing with an impossible season - well we have had worse by far

Not true. I look at our squad and lineup and it is better than anything since our last league 2 promotion season. We have had a bit of bad luck, but nothing unusual.

Advert

4 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Disappointed to lose the game there's no way we deserved lose but we managed too .

Lacking a bit of quality only played well when Proctor come on Wilson a passenger 

Charsley showed good energy credit to Colchester never really tried win the game but somehow did .

Worrall and Hussey for me never tried beat there man we were too negative we had enough of the ball but weren't sharp enough do anything with it .

Lacked tempo it's football I could only see one winner and that was us so disappointed that we lost didn't think we deserved too though the goal was a terrible one concede I think the goalkeeper got to be at fault for that and the player who's man it was who let there defender head it in .

A very poor goal giveaway .

Wilson a passenger he was not even on the bus at Harrogate & Rochdale come on vale fans open your eyes .

OK marks today .

Holy 4 nowt do yet managed to twice at corners second half balls up the winning goal is a combination of defensive ineptitude and goalkeeping ineptitude.

Smith 5 passed it slowly all game had nothing defensive do as Colchester apart from Sears did nothing .

Martin 6 OK solid enough .

Hall 5 passed it slowly he is excellent generally defensively but is in my opinion not much use with the ball .

Worrall 4 lacks self belief take your man on get brought down for a penalty do something I say this most weeks same old unfortunately he plays most weeks he as to be creating more than what he does create .

Garrity 5 

Charsley 6.3 thought he at least tried play a few give and goes .

Hussey 3 offered less than Worrall didn't see anything all game what says he as the quality help Vale get promoted ,why wasn't he taking set pieces he is good at them ?

Wilson 2 what the hell was he doing 

Nothing that's what ,body language shocking very poor display from him .

Cooper 4 

Edmondson 3 very poor .

Proctor 6 great effort saved and drove one wide .

Benning 5 least he tried take someone on .

Harratt not on long enough do anything  

All in all a very poor performance but still not  a deserved losing one .

UTV 

6 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

Absolutely bang on. Some things you just cannot legislate for & bad luck is one of them. I do believe you make your own luck but sometimes you just have to stick your hands up & say... wow, it's really not meant to be.

I genuinely believe that had we been blessed with so much as an ounce of good fortune this season, we'd have been a top 3 side. To list a few...

Wilson injury when hitting top form... v Bradford... who somehow kept 11 men on the pitch despite the most blatant 2nd yellow you will ever see in a football match. (Bloke gets subbed half time)

Proctor injury as he's starting to bag goals & play really well. Not just once, but twice. Second injury on his first match back after coming on as a sub, completely different injury to the first.

Our captain & most creative player, Conlon, out for the season. In all likelihood, lads been injured since start of December & soldiered on for a few games until it became unplayable. 

Gibbo... in & out. Injury prone unfortunately. 

Cass, was a massive player for our formation & style of play. Season ending injury in freak training accident. Back to Castle.

Politic. Season long loan. Lost him in Jan. To an Italian side pushing for Serie A... I mean... come on. Unbelievable player at L2 level. Game changer.

We've thrown some points away & you can't put that down to bad luck as such but Sutton away... Timing of Procs injury & then the referees decision to give Sutton a free kick when a Vale player has been taken out on halfway line. Goes in the box, goal.

Goalkeepers... Cov... nuts... cost us opening day of the season & then wrecked the game v Swindon just as he seemed to be finding some form. Stone, average. Holy, worse than average. Again not so much bad luck, but to hire 3 x keepers, non of which have done well for us, is really poor. A steady Eddie this season who just turned up every game would've seen us bag atleast 10+ points extra so far.

Referees, could list loads of examples. No luck whatsoever. We're one of only 4 clubs in the whole 92 who haven't had a penalty all season.

Finally, & the one which outweighs all the others combined... DC. To lose your manager at such a key time in the season has been massive. Thoughts & prayers with DC & his family still, & I hope he takes as long as he needs. Just hope we see him again in the Vale dugout, but only if/when he is ready himself.

I'm honestly at the point now where I hope we can have a solid end to the season & build some optimism for next season. That might sound dramatic & maybe it is a touch, but I just don't think it's meant to be this year for us. The sun has not shined on us & when it's rained, it's poured. It's a terrible league, nothing in it yet again. It's just not our year.

Hope we can get to the summer, add some fresh faces where required, hold on to our better players & give it a go again next year... with some long, long, long, overdue fortune sprinkled in.

Too good a post for on here - no doubt somebody will reduce your logic to "we're just <ovf censored>"?

5 hours ago, TreacleValiant said:

...Do we really need a director of football and half a dozen coaches at league 2 level? I would rather the money be spent on getting decent players in. What is the point of having so many coaches, if the players that have been recruited aren’t good enough? 

How many times does it need to be said that the management / coaching budget has no effect on the playing budget, which still has to conform to FFP? At least one more, it seems...

4 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

We had Politic for half of the season and barely played him. Never played 4-3-3, never changed our style to give him game time. We never saw the best of him.

Suddenly Cooper plays and we bend over backwards to fit him in the starting 11. Even though he’s half the player of Politic.

I don’t get it. 

I would give my left arm to see Politic right now. Just for a bit of excitement. Imagine a Vale player actually taking a man on and having a shot? 

Politic wasn't fit for a good portion of that time. You can see Politic any time you like - you just have to go to the well-off Italian club that offered Bolton more than us!

7 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Not true. I look at our squad and lineup and it is better than anything since our last league 2 promotion season. We have had a bit of bad luck, but nothing unusual.

We have had a bit of bad luck, but nothing unusual.- Really!!!!!!!!!🤣

5 hours ago, LancyTony said:

How many times does it need to be said that the management / coaching budget has no effect on the playing budget, which still has to conform to FFP? At least one more, it seems...

It still comes out of the same pot and I don’t think we’re anywhere near breaking the FFP rules and by the way before you go off on one I’m not criticising carol 

So, a couple of observations….
1) Last year there was criticism of us being wedded to 433. This year it’s 3 at the back. We literally do not change tactics.
2) Last year there was criticism about the amount of injuries. This year they’ve been even worse.
3) Last year (and certainly the year before) there was criticism about the number of late goals we conceded that cost us (ultimately valuable) points. This year it’s been much, much worse. Would love to know many points we’d conceded in the last 5 minutes of games this year.
4) Last year our business in January was poor. This year it’s been worse.
The ‘happy clappers’ can perceive this as criticism if they want to I really don’t care, but this is the reality. We are repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and I think fans have a right to call it out.
Spot on.

10 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

I understand his wage demands may have been too high but we miss someone of his ilk massively. He could have been the difference in a game like the one today. 

Politic was a sub last night for Cremonese, they used 5 subs in an attempt to get a late winner and he was left on the bench......Now top of the table.

We are where we are - not the team and style of play as before Christmas. All sort of reasons why - injuries, covid, weather and DC’s awful situation.

Playoffs seem gone but not mathematically so we have to keep the faith. If we do make them and then go on to promotion it will be against all the odds and a season to remember of many a year.

Let’s keep hoping UTV.

Next game I’d go for the following:

4-4-2

Stone

Smith-Hall-Jones-Benning

Worrall-Garrity-Charsley-Hurst

Wilson-Proctor

I thought Stone was really unlucky to be dropped first time, he was very good at Burton and I have seen absolutely nothing from Holy to suggest he is a better option.

Smith at right-back not ideal but don’t think we have a lot of alternatives.

Jones back in the middle, is far better with the ball than Smith.

Benning at left-back, it is his favoured position and he has more energy than Hussey.

Midfield two not exactly creative but should have energy, hence why creativity needs to come from wide areas.

Archived