onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

That away day has broke me. I’m not going to another this season and will ONLY buy a stream after I have seen the line up.The same every <ovf censored> <ovf censored> each game yet we continue to keep doing it. How many times does Crosby need to watch it before he does something different?

FFS stop playing 3 CB’s. We don’t have the players to do it.Smith cannot play as RCB. Play him centrally or not at all!!

FFS Garrity is not a creative midfielder and does not have ability to play passes. He’s a <ovf censored> runner in a midfield 3. Play a midfield 3 or not at all!!

FFS Stop playing Wilson as the central target striker. Wilson needs to play between the lines in space or not at all!!

FFS Stop playing Edmondson left wing. Either play him centrally or not at all!!

FFS Just play a <ovf censored> formation which suits players to allow them to play in their best position!!!

FFS is there any chance we can play a pass with a bit of pace and play it forwards every now and then?

Colchester should have been smashed today.They are the worst team I think I have ever seen play as a home team in this league.I accept loosing but not like that. Have a <ovf censored> go at teams and stop being safe.

Only positives today:

2 derbies with Crewe to look forward to next year

We can stop saying we are unbeaten to hide the fact when we all know we have been <ovf censored> ( except Carlisle)

Rant over….And breathe.

Advert

The formation needs to change and quickly. We’ve got Dave Worrall who’s ran his knackers off for us for five seasons (in a more forward role) and we’ve got a 33 year old playing the other side. That role requires you to bomb on forward and support the attacks and get into the box and create yet neither really are. That’s why we aren’t scoring many.

Gibbo did it against Stevenage and again on Tuesday with the ball into the box and he’s the one who should play that role every game when fit. If you want to play Dave Worrall then play him further forward or not at all. We seem stubborn to only play this way and it’s no longer working with these players.

It was great earlier in season when Worrall and gibbo were filling these roles because they got up the pitch far more partly because we had the two wide centre halfs in cass and Jones driving them forward and bringing the ball out themselves. Another big factor in why we scored a lot. Not to mention the skill of politic.

Cooper was meant to be that impact player who could do this and create some magic but he hasn’t got a clue the lad he’s very poor. Same for charsely although I’ve only seen him start todays game but he didn’t impress me one bit as a footballer. We need better players next season if we want to play this system. 

2 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

Absolutely bang on. Some things you just cannot legislate for & bad luck is one of them. I do believe you make your own luck but sometimes you just have to stick your hands up & say... wow, it's really not meant to be.

I genuinely believe that had we been blessed with so much as an ounce of good fortune this season, we'd have been a top 3 side. To list a few...

Wilson injury when hitting top form... v Bradford... who somehow kept 11 men on the pitch despite the most blatant 2nd yellow you will ever see in a football match. (Bloke gets subbed half time)

Proctor injury as he's starting to bag goals & play really well. Not just once, but twice. Second injury on his first match back after coming on as a sub, completely different injury to the first.

Our captain & most creative player, Conlon, out for the season. In all likelihood, lads been injured since start of December & soldiered on for a few games until it became unplayable. 

Gibbo... in & out. Injury prone unfortunately. 

Cass, was a massive player for our formation & style of play. Season ending injury in freak training accident. Back to Castle.

Politic. Season long loan. Lost him in Jan. To an Italian side pushing for Serie A... I mean... come on. Unbelievable player at L2 level. Game changer.

We've thrown some points away & you can't put that down to bad luck as such but Sutton away... Timing of Procs injury & then the referees decision to give Sutton a free kick when a Vale player has been taken out on halfway line. Goes in the box, goal.

Goalkeepers... Cov... nuts... cost us opening day of the season & then wrecked the game v Swindon just as he seemed to be finding some form. Stone, average. Holy, worse than average. Again not so much bad luck, but to hire 3 x keepers, non of which have done well for us, is really poor. A steady Eddie this season who just turned up every game would've seen us bag atleast 10+ points extra so far.

Referees, could list loads of examples. No luck whatsoever. We're one of only 4 clubs in the whole 92 who haven't had a penalty all season.

Finally, & the one which outweighs all the others combined... DC. To lose your manager at such a key time in the season has been massive. Thoughts & prayers with DC & his family still, & I hope he takes as long as he needs. Just hope we see him again in the Vale dugout, but only if/when he is ready himself.

I'm honestly at the point now where I hope we can have a solid end to the season & build some optimism for next season. That might sound dramatic & maybe it is a touch, but I just don't think it's meant to be this year for us. The sun has not shined on us & when it's rained, it's poured. It's a terrible league, nothing in it yet again. It's just not our year.

Hope we can get to the summer, add some fresh faces where required, hold on to our better players & give it a go again next year... with some long, long, long, overdue fortune sprinkled in.

there have been some good sense points put across on this forum, but you have summed up perfectly. We all hope for play offs, but if some other club had suffered this list of misfortune and ended up mid table we would have said well done to them 

Look at the praise Rooney is getting at Derby for his dealing with an impossible season - well we have had worse by far

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

So what would you do about it if you were Carol. What’s your big call to fix it?

Tell Flickers he needs to manage the team, a group of players he’s bought into the club. As DOF the squad is his vision and it’s failing. Sort it out.

Crosby is good coach but not a manager and needs help. Murray is a coach and not a manager. Whitehead is a coach and nit a manager.

Rudderless ship drifting to mid table.

26 minutes ago, MBE said:

That away day has broke me. I’m not going to another this season and will ONLY buy a stream after I have seen the line up.The same every <ovf censored> <ovf censored> each game yet we continue to keep doing it. How many times does Crosby need to watch it before he does something different?

FFS stop playing 3 CB’s. We don’t have the players to do it.Smith cannot play as RCB. Play him centrally or not at all!!

FFS Garrity is not a creative midfielder and does not have ability to play passes. He’s a <ovf censored> runner in a midfield 3. Play a midfield 3 or not at all!!

FFS Stop playing Wilson as the central target striker. Wilson needs to play between the lines in space or not at all!!

FFS Just play a <ovf censored> formation which suits players to allow them to play in their best position!!!

FFS is there any chance we can play a pass with a bit of pace and play it forwards every now and then?

Colchester should have been smashed today.They are the worst team I think I have ever seen play as a home team in this league.I accept loosing but not like that. Have a <ovf censored> go at teams and stop being safe.

Only positives today:

We can stop saying we are unbeaten to hide the fact when we all know we have been <ovf censored> ( except Carlisle)

Rant over….And breathe.

Another positive - You win the weekly award for amount of F bombs dropped in one post - well done mate 😍

3 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Feel sorry for the 330 vale fans who made the 400 mile round trip maybe Carol should do a Gary Neville and refund the cost of the transport 

To be fair if she paid up for every bad away performance the club would be back in admin before you know it! 

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

I just don’t get why we persist with a formation that hasn’t worked for weeks now when we could of reverted back to one which had us flying?

It’s just stupid.

We’ve had some rotten luck this season and it does feel like it wasn’t meant to be with the injuries, Covid back log and losing DC.

That said we’ve let ourselves down at times, we’ve had enough to beat Oldham three times over and lost late one, should see out Sutton and today despite how bad we were, still with that dominance second half we should be winning. They were as bad as they were when we walloped them at Vale Park.

Add in the Rochdale balls up at the end and again comes down to game management and mentality, that is a problem we seem to have had since the Covid season where we’d have made the play offs with better late game management.

I’m not overly fussed about Flickers taking over, he is a DOF and that’s his role, you don’t usually see them cover but it’s obvious Crosby is an excellent coach and not a manager.

Overall it feels flat, it’s a massive failure not to make the play offs really with this squad, the investment and set up and level we were at earlier in the season. Simple as that, and it’s pretty gutting we are stuck playing in this dross level next season.

Have to finish strongly now and try and build towards hitting next season running, figure out who we want to keep and who we don’t.

Doesn’t need a big overhaul again but clearly so areas need addressing such as goalkeeper and attacking midfielder.

Good post

45 minutes ago, MBE said:

Only positives today:

Rant over….And breathe.

Careful, some people on here with be calling you out as a ‘moaner’….

You forget:

- 1 defeat in 10;

- we’re only 5 points off the play-offs;

- we have game(s) in hand (which we’re guaranteed to win) and loads of points still to play for;

- we still to play a lot of the teams above us (which we’re guaranteed to win); 

- we don’t concede many; and 

- we’re not in a relegation battle.

So what more do you want? If you’re not happy then get yourself to Stoke or Crewe.

Do some moaning on here no way we deserved lose but managed too .

Yes I watched it it should have ended 0-0 which doesn't say a lot about our ambition win game .

To not be tested and still lose is a recurring theme .

Opposition do not work hard for there goals we generally give them a goal .

Seasons far from over we need to find a more attacking believing side out of our squad of players .

Must beat  Crawley and Mansfield now at home .

UTV 

48 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

there have been some good sense points put across on this forum, but you have summed up perfectly. We all hope for play offs, but if some other club had suffered this list of misfortune and ended up mid table we would have said well done to them 

Look at the praise Rooney is getting at Derby for his dealing with an impossible season - well we have had worse by far

Err, 21 points deducted, six months of administration, threats of liquidation, lost seven players in the January transfer window with just one loan signing to replace them.

We've had worse than that by far? Not this season we haven't.

2 more(calmer) points which has really irked me over the past 2 months rather than just this game.

Why do we insist on bringing every single player back to defend corners? What’s the point if you clear the ball it comes straight back. Leave it last one player on the halfway line and it takes 2 of their players away from the area. Colchester left 2 players up for our corners and we left 3 players back. It’s really not rocket science.

Why do we always struggle with our throw ins to feet and the opposition tend to get an easy throw in against us?

Annoying.

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

2 more(calmer) points which has really irked me over the past 2 months rather than just this game.

Why do we insist on bringing every single player back to defend corners? What’s the point if you clear the ball it comes straight back. Leave it last one player on the halfway line and it takes 2 of their players away from the area. Colchester left 2 players up for our corners and we left 3 players back. It’s really not rocket science.

Why do we always struggle with our throw ins to feet and the opposition tend to get an easy throw in against us?

Annoying.

Throw ins….. why did you have to pop the cork on that one???🤬

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

If only we had a manager with 350 games in management, a promotion, and a playoff campaign at this level + had had a large part in assembling the squad who was already employed at the club.

Alas, we’ll muddle on with an assistant, a coach, and a lad who’s been at the club 5 minutes, and then act shocked when it doesn’t work.

Are you advocating dragging DC back in, at this time?

Archived