onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

Let’s get rid then is what you’re saying.  But the club (and potential suitors) will look at the reasons how he’s missed games and the history of the injuries and I think someone would take a chance if we did get rid. For example you could say that missing most of last season was down to being overloaded when he came back and the full extent of the injury not being sorted because we needed him. The recovery from that wiped out the first month of this season. He then played 4 months with no issues that we know about until that tweak early on at Orient. Again being early in the game was that down to the warm up? Something else the club would have looked at. Now he’s had a freak injury through studs getting caught in the turf, that’s something that could happen to any player and you can’t condition yourself for that happening. IMO if we don’t offer him a deal I think he will get picked up by another club. 

I never referenced Gibbo in the first place! As I also said I’m no physio but if I’m Gibbo’s case the injuries are genuinely all freakish and unconnected then of course we should offer. 

Advert

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Let’s get rid then is what you’re saying.  But the club (and potential suitors) will look at the reasons how players missed games and the history behind those injuries and I think I’m gibbos case that someone would take a chance if we did get rid. For example you could say that missing most of last season was down to being overloaded when he came back, with the full extent of the injury not being sorted because we needed him back at an important time. The recovery from that wiped out the first month of this season. He then played 4 months with no issues that we know about until that tweak early on at Orient. Supposedly his other leg too. Again being early in the game was that down to the warm up? Something else the club would have looked at. Now he’s had a freak injury through studs getting caught in the turf, that’s something that could happen to any player and you can’t condition yourself for that happening. IMO if we don’t offer him a deal I think he will get picked up by another club. I still think he has a part to play for us and I wouldn’t ditch him. 

Gibbo is a top player championship player when fit so obviously we would offer him a contract he’s worth the gamble but players of less ability who are injury prone should not be signed or offered new contracts 

15 minutes ago, philmpv said:
19 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:
You’re on a roll tonight! Can you find me the quote where I said “we shouldn’t offer Gibbo a new deal”….???

So you're saying that you would despite his injury record and despite saying that we shouldn't sign players with injury records like his? Make your mind up

Hang on, now who’s being inconsistent. So are you saying Gibbo is injury prone? And you’re advocating signing injury-prone players??? 

This time last year lots on here were calling for us to do whatever it takes to not be in a relegation scrap again. "I don't care if we play ugly sh***ouse football as long as we aren't looking nervously over our shoulder or worse' desperately trying to catch the teams above to avoid going out of the football league"

Guess what you have what you asked for and now are still moaning because we are playing that dull ugly crap but aafe football you asked for.

Its really bad to watch at the moment, no one is enjoying it. I wish we would play expansive exciting score more than them football but we aren't.

January didn't go as well as the summer, we are suffering due to injuries to key players and there have definitely been some mistakes made but we did embark on a huge mass overhaul.

There is no patience in football in a few games time we will either be trying to stay in the playoff race or we will have fallen into mid table obscurity and the shackles will come off. So we will either be up there or have nothing to lose and go for broke.

I think a lot of people get carried away.
We make a few summer signings - we're going up
Win a few games - we are going up

We have had a few good days out this year. Enjoy the good times, don't get suicidal when we lose or are rather crap. We will have good days again, it could be this year but more likely within the next couple.

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

I think garrity is a big problem when it comes to our creativity his passing is atrocious 

It appears a paradox to question a midfield player who's scored 8 Lge goals in 6 games but when Garrity doesn't score his contribution from midfield  is minimal. He runs around and tackles but gives as many fouls away and hence possession as he wins tackles, his passing is poor as seen today and when Vale lose the ball he's usually ahead of it and playing catch up to get behind the ball into a defensive position.

A passing midfield player who's comfortable on the ball like a Conlon or Taylor can do everything that Garrity does and more and it's been a huge loss that both have been out at the same time although I doubt Taylor would have featured much as he's not a DC type player.

A team chasing promotion from Lge 2 should have players in midfield who are comfortable on the ball, can play the defense splitting pass when it's on, who's instincts are to play forwards who are well organized, keep their shape and win the ball back mostly by forcing the opposition to make mistakes by pressing and cutting off the passing lanes.

For me Garrity is a squad player.  Vale's midfield without Conlon and/or Taylor is bottom half of Lge 2 standard.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Might be on my own here but i wouldn't be surprised to see Worrall leave in the summer,it's a shame but i dont think the system has helped his cause at all this season

He, along with other first 11 players, need to become squad players only for next season on a squad players budget. If not get rid. 

We have to improve the first 11 and that means four or five new signings.

28 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I never referenced Gibbo in the first place! As I also said I’m no physio but if I’m Gibbo’s case the injuries are genuinely all freakish and unconnected then of course we should offer. 

I know you didn’t I just jumped in on phils question because there are different ways of looking at it. Sorry mate. 

On the subject of Garrity we got the best out of him as a box to box midfielder making runs late into the box. This formation we are playing now doesn’t play to his strengths IMO. 

39 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Vale without Gibbons is cereal without milk eggs without bacon .

Best player at the club drives forward ,wants to win and plays like it too  

Missed his drive today .

Sign him up 

What are milk eggs?

53 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I didn’t say I wouldn’t, I’m no physio and don’t know what injuries he’s got. But the point is we are a L2 club and simply cannot afford to offer big deals to players who spend more time on the treatment table than they do the pitch. 

Especially not 4+

... that could have been predicted prior to appointment ... and were by many just after announcing.

That was as bad today as it was when Askey had lost the dressing room no fight no passion no quality players going through the motions hardly breaking sweat absolute garbage can’t wait for Saturday and Crawley should be a cracker Zzzzzzzzz

That’s simplify not true , we had commitment 100%.. just not enough quality . Simple as that .. no gibbons , conlon , proctor not fit , politic to bring on . To question players commitment is a bit wrong

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:
Don’t sign players with questionable injury records and think a bit better about what type of players we need in January. Not rocket science. 

So you won't want Gibbons being offered a new contract this season?

We’ve got to keep Gibbo

10 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I know you didn’t I just jumped in on phils question because there are different ways of looking at it. Sorry mate. 

On the subject of Garrity we got the best out of him as a box to box midfielder making runs late into the box. This formation we are playing now doesn’t play to his strengths IMO. 

I agree with your points. The injury situation is really concerning. It was bad enough last year for DC to call it out, but it’s been even worse this year. It can’t just be bad luck can it? The pitch maybe….I don’t know?

Gibbo clearly makes us a better side. HOWEVER…. if he is a Championship Player-in waiting with other interest, we are going to have to come with a pretty decent offer to tempt him to re-sign. This means we will have to reduce what we spend elsewhere e.g. on creative midfielder, experienced striker. Does having an outstanding right back get you promotion from L2? Is it better to have an outstanding right back and unproven striker, or decent right back and decent striker? And clearly this means we have got to be sure that he isn’t injury-prone, because we’d have wasted a whole heap of budget if he is. So I don’t think it’s quite as simple as some are making out. 

Archived