onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

The criticism Holy gets doesn't make sense to me. I'd be amazed if he was dropped given his stats. He wasn't to blame for Tuesday night's goal, take your pick from Pett, Smith, Walker and Hall. The late goal against Rochdale should have been cleared by Hall but it got caught under his boot and he fluffed it and it was a good finish into the corner..

His save percentage is better than Stone, his goals conceded per game is less than Covolan and Stone and he has 3 clean sheets in 8.

I do understand that Stone has come on twice this season to replace Covolan and the team have been down to 10 men which muddies the stats a little but Holy isn't the awful goalkeeper that people have labelled him to be. 

EDIT: His distribution does need to improve though. He has a cannon of a right foot but he needs to gauge it better, he gives the ball back to their goalkeeper too many times.

1288647978_Screenshot2022-03-04at12_03_43.thumb.png.a56a95852d0028f50f1b99f66b2d650b.png

Advert

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

The criticism Holy gets doesn't make sense to me. I'd be amazed if he was dropped given his stats. He wasn't to blame for Tuesday night's goal, take your pick from Pett, Smith, Walker and Hall. The late goal against Rochdale should have been cleared by Hall but it got caught under his boot and he fluffed it and it was a good finish into the corner..

His save percentage is better than Stone, his goals conceded per game is less than Covolan and Stone and he has 3 clean sheets in 8.

I do understand that Stone has come on twice this season to replace Covolan and the team have been down to 10 men which muddies the stats a little but Holy isn't the awful goalkeeper that people have labelled him to be. 

EDIT: His distribution does need to improve though. He has a cannon of a right foot but he needs to gauge it better, he gives the ball back to their goalkeeper too many times.

1288647978_Screenshot2022-03-04at12_03_43.thumb.png.a56a95852d0028f50f1b99f66b2d650b.png

I also can’t understand the flack Holy is getting to blame him for Harrogates goal is a bit unfair if that had been Scott Brown nobody would have said a word 

13 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I also can’t understand the flack Holy is getting to blame him for Harrogates goal is a bit unfair if that had been Scott Brown nobody would have said a word 

I think Holy has done great - he is part of our ducks arse defence, but would be interesting with our new look defence with Walker to see the high press with Lucas playing as a sweeper 

15 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I think it’s because people like Cov as a bit of a cult hero. He started off badly, but improved and threw it all away. 

We want him to succeed because he sounds cool and has an interesting Brazilian background. If he was called Bob Smith, he would not be missed. 

The fact it was McKirdy he kicked out at also can’t have damaged his rep with fans either. 

Holy isn’t seen as our keeper, being purely a loan and being so big, seems a bit lumbering compared to the crowd pleasing athletic Cov. 

8 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I think it’s because people like Cov as a bit of a cult hero. He started off badly, but improved and threw it all away. 

We want him to succeed because he sounds cool and has an interesting Brazilian background. If he was called Bob Smith, he would not be missed. 

The fact it was McKirdy he kicked out at also can’t have damaged his rep with fans either. 

Holy isn’t seen as our keeper, being purely a loan and being so big, seems a bit lumbering compared to the crowd pleasing athletic Cov. 

I also think because of Covolan's theatrics when under pressure from strikers and he has to clear, this has put unnecessary pressure on Holy from the crowd, you can feel it in the ground.

I'm not saying he's the greatest goalkeeper in the world but I think overall, he's the best one we have. As I've said before, the problem in the team isn't at the back, it's scoring goals up top. We don't kill teams off and we don't have out and out creative players in the squad, but there are goals in our midfielders and strikers, Wilson can create something out of nothing, deserved a goal in injury time on Tuesday night, Garrity/Proctor/Edmonson are a danger in the box when Hussey puts the ball in. And sitting back when taking a lead is why we've drawn so many games IMO.

Watching Everton first half last night and the commentator said something which is very true about Vale in games where they struggle, the back 3 do not pass it quickly enough because by the time they do pass it the opposition have players on our midfield so we have to go long which is absurd with Wilson up there has he ain't going win anything in the air (that's not his game ).

So moving forwards we may have to go with a more comfortable on the ball back 3 to aid us in all aspects of attacking play and that means that Smith at some point will have to be dropped as most of his passes are either too slow and safe or straight out of play ,we need to get the ball to Wilsons feet if it goes above knee height the players should be fined as we have to change play this kick and rush is not serving us well at all it could make a difference but lets face it we were more of a good side watch with Cass and Jones in the side we passed it with more accuracy and it was a damn sight lot quicker than what I witnessed this year in my opinion 

OK Hall Walker and Smith are solid and so they should be as the 2 wing backs help  out and so does I am here there and everywhere Pett and Garrity so most of the time when clear the ball it's too no one we need to improve tenfold to obtain minimum play offs but with a few attacking at the back tweaks and better ball distribution who knows top 3 is very achievable  

No more long ball play it quickly through the field on the floor as we have good players who are at present made look poor by long ball hot potato Ness 🥔 

UTV 

Jesus this online ticketing at Colchester is ridiculous. How hard can it be to buy a couple of tickets to a football match?

Hope they get relegated or we go up so I don't have to go through this <ovf censored> again.

12 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Dunno if it's been mentioned but Covolan's injured. Crosby's confirmed that Jones is out too.

There is always a chance of that when you're shadow kung fu kicking in your bedroom.

We beat them at our place by pressing and closing them down quickly! Maybe more of the same. I hope we don't just turn up thinking its three points. We need to be at them and all eleven players at 8 out of ten. The points are there for the taking but our attitude needs to be 100% come on you whites! 

A lot of roundabout posts as to why Holy isn't massively rated yet. I'd argue it's because he isn't doing particularly well. I think most criticism has been overstated but he's also done very little to impress. He's just sort of there. I can't recall recall anything overly impressive - which is a trait all three of our goalkeepers share this season.

1 hour ago, bomber said:

We beat them at our place by pressing and closing them down quickly! Maybe more of the same. I hope we don't just turn up thinking its three points. We need to be at them and all eleven players at 8 out of ten. The points are there for the taking but our attitude needs to be 100% come on you whites! 

We started 3-4-3 against them too. 

Pretty simple for me RE Holy. He’s kept clean sheets, yes, but that is 100% down to our set up and defensive work. When he has been called into action he hasn’t been very good. It’s alright saying the goal against Harrogate wasn’t his fault, maybe no. But I’d be wanting my keeper to do better than that. Kicks the ball to their keeper more than our own players, really poor shot stopper and drops it half the time in the air. Not to mention he’s really dodgy with the ball at his feet. I can’t actually recall a proper save from him?
For me, Stone should play. He did nothing wrong in his few games and made no clangers like Covalon. Not a fan of him either but Holy could have met a similar date with his dallying on the ball. Think out recruitment in nets needs a massive improvement. Back to the Michael brown days. 

My concern about Holy is that he has moments of madness in him. On Tuesday he came charging out of his area and failed to clear the ball. Fortunately they didn’t score. He’s done it a couple of times in other games. He’s been lucky in that respect. I also think he was a bit arthritic the way he went down for Rochdale’s equaliser. Basically, I don’t think he’s an improvement on what we had. They are all much of a muchness. 

12 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

My concern about Holy is that he has moments of madness in him. On Tuesday he came charging out of his area and failed to clear the ball. Fortunately they didn’t score. He’s done it a couple of times in other games. He’s been lucky in that respect. I also think he was a bit arthritic the way he went down for Rochdale’s equaliser. Basically, I don’t think he’s an improvement on what we had. They are all much of a muchness. 

Also had one that he miscontrolled of his thigh that almaost created a chance for them. (Unless that's the same incident)

Archived