Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

11 hours ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Covolan

Smith Martin Hall

Worrall Garrity Pett Gibbons

Wilson

Proctor Edmondson

I'm all for seeing Covolan back in the team, despite his crazy antics we seem to be a far speedier team from front to back and he has better distribution than the other two keepers. Were his errors in judgement really that bad to be able to leave him in the shadows behind two distinctly average at best keepers. Holy's distribution so far has been bang average!

Advert

15 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Cov has cost us 3 points, maybe 6, visible and accountable I suppose. If we drilled down, I suppose there are others more costly. The booting out of him is really weird unless there’s stuff we don’t know. 

Have you counted the one he saved us at Mansfield with the pen?

I think we should go back to 3-5-2, try and free Garrity up to get in to the box and give the wingbacks some more space too. 

holy

smith Martin hall

worrall Walker Garrity Pett gibbo*

wilson proctor 

*If that challenge that gibbo suffered on Tuesday puts him out for Saturday then just slot Hussey in his place. I must say that Gibbo looked in a lot of pain and it would be really unlucky if he’s picked up an impact injury to his leg or ankle from that. 

12 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

No and the whole permit system seems daft to me. You buy a ticket, but don’t get a seat, but they e-mail you on the day telling you where to sit? 

Like you, I was hoping for a simple confirmation but instead we get this…

Prior to each game we will determine whether we can allocate a seat based on the current guidelines in force at that time. To access your permit we will contact via email to allow you to confirm and download the ticket.

We will request that the permit holder confirms a declaration of health as well as confirms they accept the Stadium Code of Conduct.

If the same email is used on multiple permits then the receiver of the email will be confirming the declaration of health and acceptance of the Stadium Code of Conduct on behalf of all permit holders

For a club that barely gets 2k gates in a 10k ground, this is frankly a joke! 

Just phone Colchester.  They tell me the permits will be emailed out between 3-4pm this afternoon.  What a cock-eyed system.

Stone 

Smith - Martin - Hall

Gibbo - Garrity - Charsley - Walker - Hussey

Proctor - Wilson

Take it back to what was bringing us success when we were actually playing well. Pett looks out of form so would look at taking him out. Col are hopeless so lets get the energy up in the middle with Garrity and Charsley and harry them into mistake.

Not so sure I would be dropping Edmondson with him having scored 2 in 2 games, especially seeing as strikers thrive on confidence. I say this, as there seems to be a lot leaning towards Proctor coming back in. I love Proctor and I think he is a real handful for league 2 defenders but I think I would start him on the bench. 30 minutes from Proctor could be all we need, who knows? 

I can see why the jury is still out on Holy. Whilst not being solely to blame for any goals that have gone past him, I can't really recall him making any classy saves. Now, this could be down to the fact that the defence is fairly solid or it could be that he perhaps could have done better with one or two that did beat him and that was the time for the spectacular saves. I think he has a real problem tempering his passes, he overhits quite a few, probably as he is so big and powerful. My own personal opinion is that Holy keeps the no.1 jersey (only just).

I don't know whether this is my imagination or wishful thinking but I thought I saw a little bit of a partnership developing between Wilson and Cooper, with some good interplay on a couple of occasions on Tuesday night. On that basis I would start Cooper with a view to Amoo coming on off the bench which seems to be when he has been most impactive this season.

Hopefully Gibbo can shrug off his injury as his energy and drive are infectious.

3 points would be beautiful.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

Stone 

Smith - Martin - Hall

Gibbo - Garrity - Charsley - Walker - Hussey

Proctor - Wilson

Take it back to what was bringing us success when we were actually playing well. Pett looks out of form so would look at taking him out. Col are hopeless so lets get the energy up in the middle with Garrity and Charsley and harry them into mistake.

I agree with the formation just not in a personal positional sense. We were to more effective when we had Cass and Jones being able to carry the ball out and overlap the wing backs - offering more outlets. Smith and Hall are purely just solid defenders but that's why we're tending to go back and sideways rather than forward. For me, and Martin hasn't done anything wrong i'd go the following. Goalkeeper, I don't really have a preference but Covolan did collect a lot of crosses but I rarely saw him actually make a save - Holy, good presence, collects crosses but it's like he's not used to playing on small tight pitches, given his goal kicks go all the way to the other keeper. So my team:

Holy

Gibbo      Smith     Jones

Wozza     Pett     Walker      Hussey

Garrity

Proctor    Wilson

15 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

I agree with the formation just not in a personal positional sense. We were to more effective when we had Cass and Jones being able to carry the ball out and overlap the wing backs - offering more outlets. Smith and Hall are purely just solid defenders but that's why we're tending to go back and sideways rather than forward. For me, and Martin hasn't done anything wrong i'd go the following. Goalkeeper, I don't really have a preference but Covolan did collect a lot of crosses but I rarely saw him actually make a save - Holy, good presence, collects crosses but it's like he's not used to playing on small tight pitches, given his goal kicks go all the way to the other keeper. So my team:

Holy

Gibbo      Smith     Jones

Wozza     Pett     Walker      Hussey

Garrity

Proctor    Wilson

Jones i think is injured. Gibbo has never been tried at CB so would be wild to throw him in there. Holy would be my third choice at the minute, bomb scare with the ball at his feet, slow getting down with low shots, kicks fly straight to the opposition goalie 9 times out of 10, not commanding his area well enough from crosses and corners. Lucas would be my first choice but looks as if the management team are over him.

1 minute ago, Walka003 said:

Jones i think is injured. Gibbo has never been tried at CB so would be wild to throw him in there. Holy would be my third choice at the minute, bomb scare with the ball at his feet, slow getting down with low shots, not commanding his area well enough from crosses and corners. Lucas would be my first choice but looks as if the management team are over him.

I wasn't sure if Jones was injured as he hasn't been mentioned, but I did notice he hadn't been on the bench again. I do agree but I think he'd be the best option in replicating what Cass was offering previously. Ideally, you want Gibbo in the wing back role due to his crossing ability, but we also need to accommodate wozza. I think them pair work really well together, so whilst it wouldn't be my first choice, it's an enforced choice to try and get more triangle pass and movement. 

his distribution is way off but unless he does something drastically wrong, then I can't see him getting dropped. 

Archived