onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Harrogate Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

On 27/02/2022 at 10:30, Fosse69 said:

A week on the road, Tea at Betty`s and Oysters in Colchester for the Super fans. But for the players early goals in Harrogate on the menu. Should be enough energy after a managed victory on Saturday. Harrogate solid mid table with goals in the team. Raise your game enough to win, rotate as necessary and likely enforced with a Worrall injury. 0-2 to the Vale.

Darrell Clarke`s Black and White Army

tea at bettys? eeh theyt got some money man! (oysters? prefer oatcakes.😊:drunk:

Advert

23 minutes ago, bomber said:

Really hoping for four points from next two away games to keep us in the mix! Make no mistake we need to be up for this one ,and I am hoping we are . Come on you whites! 

I’d take 4 points, I don’t think Harrogate are a push over at home

7 hours ago, londonvale said:

Swindle was the same so didn't go...Even now covid has passed(ish), we have had storms and rain postponing matches. No tickets on the day in this customer focused world is plain stupid. No excuses to turn customers away

The most baffling thing is; I ordered mine from the Vale, but can pick it up from the Harrogate ticket office. So it is open... Apparently they just don't want any walk up business, go figure 🤷‍♂️

Here is my strategy. The defence should defend and not let any goals in. We are progressing with that idea. Then if the strikers shoot they will score. We have progress to make with that one on the just shoot front front being preferred to the across edge of box dribble. There should also be strict adherence to the avoid row z principle. 

14 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

The most baffling thing is; I ordered mine from the Vale, but can pick it up from the Harrogate ticket office. So it is open... Apparently they just don't want any walk up business, go figure 🤷‍♂️

When we played Luton a few seasons ago my friend who is a Luton fan and had to travel from Wetherby to the game did the same at VP. Great afternoon sitting in the Hamil with the fans of the runaway leaders getting trounced by a poor PVFC team. What a performance that day.

If Wilson plays he needs to be paired with/off a striker, not on the wing.

He's a good player but I feel he's becoming one of those players who has to be used in a specific way in order to get the most out of him (see Louis Dodds 2008-16). He is at his best receiving, turning, and creating in central areas between the opposition's midfield and defence. His technical ability allows him to do things in restricted space that our other players can't. I don't like him on the right wing. 

Instead of 343, I'd just go 3412 and put Wilson centrally behind Edmonson and Proctor. Keep the rest of the team as it is. Set-pieces are key with Hall, Walker, Smith, Garrity, Proctor, and Edmonson all good in the air, and Gibbons and Hussey have proven they can deliver.

We've fully settled into the 'win without being pretty' model (use the cliche functional if you want to reassure yourself), and it will probably limit losses as well as wins. It will hopefully be enough to secure a Top 7 finish, which is a good season. We may choose to open up a bit if we have a real chance of the automatics, but right now I think it's beyond us.

If continuing with a back 3, for me it's got to be a 3-5-2 (with Garrity, Pett and Charsley while Conlon is out, Wilson and Proctor up front), or 3-4-1-2 with Wilson in behind. Possible other option a cheeky 3-4-2-1, with Amoo and Wilson both playing off Proctor, but Wilson more central and Amoo wandering, his brief being just to find space and stretch the opposition defence. Would be difficult to mark, see how the opposition deals with that?

With Woz out though, and Hussey arguably looking more solid and suited to a LB rather than LWB position, plus the back-up being Jones/Benning and Robinson, all of whom you would say are going to be better at full-back than wing-back, is the time right to switch to a back 4, and go 4-2-3-1, or maybe 4-3-1-2?

The attacking 3 could either be a narrow one, with Charsley-Wilson-Garrity if we're playing away on a tight pitch against a team that packs the MF, or a wider one with Cooper-Wilson-Amoo (bringing in Woz if/when fit). And if Walker is in the midfield 2/3, we always have the option to revert to a back 3 if required in-game, without changing personnel and wasting a sub.

Whatever way we go though, whilst Wilson did a good job covering in behind Woz on occasions on Saturday (which clearly went unnoticed by those suggesting his work rate is insufficient), I agree with Joe that he has to be playing more centrally off Proctor.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Instead of 343, I'd just go 3412 and put Wilson centrally behind Edmonson and Proctor. Keep the rest of the team as it is.

From what I've seen I would completely agree with that. I do think Wilson would thrive in such a role and I think it would really play to his strengths. I also think with Conlon out, it also provides that skilful, playmaker role in the middle we've missed since TC has been out. 

Guest Vale at home
24 minutes ago, robf said:

From what I've seen I would completely agree with that. I do think Wilson would thrive in such a role and I think it would really play to his strengths. I also think with Conlon out, it also provides that skilful, playmaker role in the middle we've missed since TC has been out. 

24 minutes ago, robf said:

I do agree with you Rob . I do hope you and your family  are feeling  Better .   

45 minutes ago, robf said:

We certainly are badly missing Conlon's creative skills in midfield.  Does anyone have any insight on how far he is on his road to recovery?  It's been a good few weeks now. We never look the same team without our club captain controlling the play!

Archived