what has happened to this team

1 hour ago, valefan79 said:

5600 average attendance, for a team in the top 10 all season, top 3 until New Year, for me I would have expected 6000+.

400 short then, for me we have a great home support in this division with very little away support to boost the average home attendance 

• Like 1

Advert:

5 hours ago, philmpv said:
5 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:
injuries have really taken their toll on our side this year havent they. im just curious as to whats happened to dan jones? IMO hussey is a wasted wage and looks like hes on a stroll a thon every game he plays.
its a good job srevenage were woeful today because although we scored two goals there was nothing between the sides.

Here we go again. Lose, we're awful. Draw, we're awful. Win, we're awful. Sick to the back teeth of the constant moaning of some. We're 7 points off the top 2. 7. With games in hand. We're unbeaten in 8. Yet still the moaning continues. Unbelievable

It's not really justified criticism, either - anyone who describes Hussey as a "wasted wage" is, of course, entitled to their opinion...but is it really an opinion or just a crass statement to get some attention?

32 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

It's not really justified criticism, either - anyone who describes Hussey as a "wasted wage" is, of course, entitled to their opinion...but is it really an opinion or just a crass statement to get some attention?

Anyone who describes Hussey as a wasted wage either knows nothing about football or has some issues with their vision.

• Like 5

I think while the performances have not been as good as the pre Christmas Covid situation, we lost our momentum. Inevitable due to the break and then when that ended we had a significant number of new players who needed gelling. 

It just looks a little disjointed but if we can click and get a run, looking at the table this evening, even an auto place remains up for grabs. 

For that we need to win our next two, build a momentum or at least keep the unbeaten run going. 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

44 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I don’t think the guy is right to the extent of a “wasted wage” but I do think he seems to hold back the tempo of the team a bit. I think Benning was better in that respect, but then Hussey is a much better passer and delivering the ball. 

injuries have really taken their toll on our side this year havent they. im just curious as to whats happened to dan jones? IMO hussey is a wasted wage and looks like hes on a stroll a thon every game he plays.
its a good job srevenage were woeful today because although we scored two goals there was nothing between the sides.

Pathetic
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hussey's problem is, he's not Gibbo, Who for me is the best player at the club. He's okay but seems pretty slow for the wing back job.  Looks more suited for the traditional FB role to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LancyTony said:

no it isnt attention seeking much as you point out . i guess youre in that class of person that spends all his/her time on social media virtue signalling huh?

• Like 1

Advert:

10 hours ago, philmpv said:
10 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

Here we go again. Lose, we're awful. Draw, we're awful. Win, we're awful. Sick to the back teeth of the constant moaning of some. We're 7 points off the top 2. 7. With games in hand. We're unbeaten in 8. Yet still the moaning continues. Unbelievable

maybe youd rather people didnt have a view and we all just kept quiet ?

9 hours ago, Powerline said:

Hussey a waste wage? Laughable 

it is when we have dan jones gibbo and mal benning who all offer much more. yes hes an experienced player who has played at a higher level but he offers nothing bar the odd decent cross in to the box. and even that was missing today. so yes its a wasted wage.

TBH considering injuries to the forwards,the loss of Cass,departure of Politic,Conlon not fit most of the season,I think the club has done brilliantly to hang in there.

At this stage of the season it's all about getting as many wins as possible 

I'd love us to be as entertaining as we were up to November but I don't think we'll concede many so as long as we rack the points up,I aren't bothered

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

it is when we have dan jones gibbo and mal benning who all offer much more. yes hes an experienced player who has played at a higher level but he offers nothing bar the odd decent cross in to the box. and even that was missing today. so yes its a wasted wage.

He really isn't mate . You can tell from watching him he's an experienced pro who is also streetwise and good at game management. 

He's arguably a better defender than Gibbo but because he doesn't bomb around he seems to be fair game.  

It’s the ‘sun’ newspaper headline to the thread that’s annoying. To then make a point that could be up for debate I agree.

For the record I think hussey is a good signing. The darren purse type of signing we made in the last promotion campaign. He’s solid and reliable and an experienced head,who has won promotion before.

He’s solid in the tackle , has created 3 goals from his set pieces and makes up for a lack of pace by reading the game and having good football intelligence.

Was he signed to play 2 games a week ? Probably not , but injuries and a mal benning who for some reason hasn’t cut it , he’s had to play every game.

Now gibbons is back he can be rested.

What I think we are missing is the lee Hughes type signing of the promotion campaign. However . There just ain’t many lee Hughes types out there unless you break the bank. The owners have set a clear plan that is sustainable and won’t risk us financially.

The one big signing might not have seen us go up , but it may have disrupted the dressing room and seen a reduced budget next year with us needing to sell players to compete.

I’m quite happy with the results and the steady improvement.

• Like 4

Advert:

maybe youd rather people didnt have a view and we all just kept quiet ?
Not at all, but starting a wholly critical thread with the title that you did in the midst of an unbeaten run of 8 (which included the top 3), 4 clean sheets, reintroducing injured players who aren't match fit and generally dominating most of the 8 (albeit not creating as much as we did) is, IMHO, moaning for the sake of moaning
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The elephant in the room is ball retention. Short passes. Long passes into target men. Decision making. From not having that base we can't even reach the follow on subject which is creativity in the final third. So if we ain't good at this presently, and sitting deep defensively, then Hussey gets a shout on delivery because we need to be mighty at freekicks and corners. He ain't Ward Prowse but at this level he is good on those. 

I agree about staying positive. I had a tantrum yesterday when Pett played backwards yet again when there was opportunity to go forward. I think overall we have a good squad but at the moment in midfield we don't have the right mix of players to play pressing attacking football. Must get a fit Conlon back and not one at half pace and injured. 

Edited by Warren