onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

what has happened to this team

RayWalkers40yarder

TBH considering injuries to the forwards,the loss of Cass,departure of Politic,Conlon not fit most of the season,I think the club has done brilliantly to hang in there.

At this stage of the season it's all about getting as many wins as possible 

I'd love us to be as entertaining as we were up to November but I don't think we'll concede many so as long as we rack the points up,I aren't bothered

Advert

2 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

it is when we have dan jones gibbo and mal benning who all offer much more. yes hes an experienced player who has played at a higher level but he offers nothing bar the odd decent cross in to the box. and even that was missing today. so yes its a wasted wage.

He really isn't mate . You can tell from watching him he's an experienced pro who is also streetwise and good at game management. 

He's arguably a better defender than Gibbo but because he doesn't bomb around he seems to be fair game.  

It’s the ‘sun’ newspaper headline to the thread that’s annoying. To then make a point that could be up for debate I agree.

For the record I think hussey is a good signing. The darren purse type of signing we made in the last promotion campaign. He’s solid and reliable and an experienced head,who has won promotion before.

He’s solid in the tackle , has created 3 goals from his set pieces and makes up for a lack of pace by reading the game and having good football intelligence.

Was he signed to play 2 games a week ? Probably not , but injuries and a mal benning who for some reason hasn’t cut it , he’s had to play every game.

Now gibbons is back he can be rested.

What I think we are missing is the lee Hughes type signing of the promotion campaign. However . There just ain’t many lee Hughes types out there unless you break the bank. The owners have set a clear plan that is sustainable and won’t risk us financially.

The one big signing might not have seen us go up , but it may have disrupted the dressing room and seen a reduced budget next year with us needing to sell players to compete.

I’m quite happy with the results and the steady improvement.

maybe youd rather people didnt have a view and we all just kept quiet ?
Not at all, but starting a wholly critical thread with the title that you did in the midst of an unbeaten run of 8 (which included the top 3), 4 clean sheets, reintroducing injured players who aren't match fit and generally dominating most of the 8 (albeit not creating as much as we did) is, IMHO, moaning for the sake of moaning

The elephant in the room is ball retention. Short passes. Long passes into target men. Decision making. From not having that base we can't even reach the follow on subject which is creativity in the final third. So if we ain't good at this presently, and sitting deep defensively, then Hussey gets a shout on delivery because we need to be mighty at freekicks and corners. He ain't Ward Prowse but at this level he is good on those. 

I agree about staying positive. I had a tantrum yesterday when Pett played backwards yet again when there was opportunity to go forward. I think overall we have a good squad but at the moment in midfield we don't have the right mix of players to play pressing attacking football. Must get a fit Conlon back and not one at half pace and injured. 

A bit of a mental post this one! 8 games unbeaten including playing 1st 2nd and 3rd. Yeah, what has happened to this team? They look more solid after a slight wobble then a period of games being called off last minute and the manager being absent. I think we are doing much better than most would in our situation. 

45 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Totally agree. Stevenage bringing 74 fans yesterday was laughable.

Stevenage are a club I don't like. The behaviour of their team was much improved from some of the injury faking tactics of the past. I suppose they were behind and didn't want to waste time! But there are many teams within commute to work distance for Port Vale who have gone out of the league and we have this lot of timewasters instead - think Wrexham, Bury, Notts County, Macclesfield, Chesterfield et al. 

And yes, 74 on a Saturday is really, really poor. On a Tuesday night it's still 100 short of reasonable.

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

One thing I will agree with is Jones and Benning. Especially Jones. Where is he? One of our best players now not even on the bench. Benning is good enough for the bench as well. Jones should be starting IMO

Jones last game at Vale Park was his worst. He gave the ball away loads. Hall has come in and done really well, Smith is on the other side doing well and the centre now has Walker who in theory can pass the ball. Well as a team yesterday I saw inaccurate ball passing! But earlier in the season Jones was one of our best players and so I hope we can still use him effectively at some point. It doesn't take much to get dropped from this team by the management. But that doesn't mean they actually solve the issue a player gets dropped for because they would need universally better players across the squad to do that. Benning needs to show me more than he has when in the team. 

Amazing how players who are out of the side gradually become far better without playing.
Perhaps some would like a rule change to 15 a side to fit in all their heroes . 

We’re unbeaten in 8 , conceding very few , clean sheet yesterday yet some want  Jones , Benning , Hall , Hussey , Gibbo etc all in the side at the same time…. interesting line up ?!

1 minute ago, ValeGez said:

Amazing how players who are out of the side gradually become far better without playing.
Perhaps some would like a rule change to 15 a side to fit in all their heroes . 

We’re unbeaten in 8 , conceding very few , clean sheet yesterday yet some want  Jones , Benning , Hall , Hussey , Gibbo etc all in the side at the same time…. interesting line up ?!

Wouldn’t be that odd would it? Gibbons, hussey, hall, Jones and smith? Not exactly an odd back line. In the case of Jones he was one of our best players. Looks pretty strong to me? 

17 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Wouldn’t be that odd would it? Gibbons, hussey, hall, Jones and smith? Not exactly an odd back line. In the case of Jones he was one of our best players. Looks pretty strong to me? 

Not bad at all if needs be but the rest of the line up would be interesting .

Some other favourites would have to make way plus Conlon / Taylor to consider on their return for the creativity people are craving . 
Jones was one of our best players but had a drop in standards leading to the stupid sending off at Newport , now has to bide his time to get the shirt back as others have .
All I’m pointing out is we can’t play everyone , although some seem to think we can . We’ve got plenty of good players ,unfortunately some have to miss out , the management pick what they think is best , they know far more than we’ll ever do about what goes on day to day .

As the saying goes ‘you can keep some of the people happy for some of the time ‘ etc etc , opinions are opinions until they don’t suit others . 
UTV

20 minutes ago, ValeGez said:

Not bad at all if needs be but the rest of the line up would be interesting .

Some other favourites would have to make way plus Conlon / Taylor to consider on their return for the creativity people are craving . 
Jones was one of our best players but had a drop in standards leading to the stupid sending off at Newport , now has to bide his time to get the shirt back as others have .
All I’m pointing out is we can’t play everyone , although some seem to think we can . We’ve got plenty of good players ,unfortunately some have to miss out , the management pick what they think is best , they know far more than we’ll ever do about what goes on day to day .

As the saying goes ‘you can keep some of the people happy for some of the time ‘ etc etc , opinions are opinions until they don’t suit others . 
UTV

I agree. I just find it odd that Jones is one missing out given how good he was earlier in the season. Players like Benning haven’t been great but to not see him on the bench for weeks I just find a little odd. Presume he will leave in the summer. I imagine the likes of Charsley will be out of the squad when Conlon is back. Not sure on Taylor he’s another I have a feeling they’re not too keen on. Didn’t think it was a red at Newport personally either. I get him having to wait his chance, but not to be in the squad when fit is a bit odd Imo. 

Archived