Russia invade Ukraine

boslemportvale91

14 hours ago, philpvfc said:

NATO will have to defend them. I don’t think Putin will stop at Ukraine. Georgia will be favourites to go next.

You’d have to hope he gets a bullet before he goes much further.

14 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Advert:

21 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

I think covid (china) and russian aggression has shown how important it is to be able to be self sufficient within the west.

We're propping them up because we rely on them so heavily for oil or cheap labour. 

Perhaps if we can work towards a future where we don't need anything from them, our sanctions would carry a lot more weight and we wouldn't be at a cross roads between giving them free reign to grow their empires or engage in world war 3.

We're not "propping them up". They're a massive part of the global economy. We can ban countries using Russian gas and oil and we can force companies to pull out of China. But that means huge increases in energy prices and the cost of living.

Considering people are already up in arms about sky high energy prices and living costs then I don't think that would prove too popular. Talk is cheap but people need to be willing to pay for these actions out of their own pocket and not say "oh billionaires and corporations have lots of money so they can pay for it".

Advert:

I wonder who is taking the same stance as Farage on this? That it is our fault and we should have let Russia just take what it wants? 

It is shocking that this is happening in 2022 and more shocking noone will do anything about it for fear of annihilation. Do we really think Russia will press the big red button? 

What is equally shocking is civilians being asked to fight with AK47s and petrol bombs. Imagine Boris asking us to do that! I suppose those who wanted Syrians and Libyans to stay and fight for their country will be expecting the same from fleeing Ukrainians? 

4 minutes ago, WV said:

I wonder who is taking the same stance as Farage on this? That it is our fault and we should have let Russia just take what it wants? 

It is shocking that this is happening in 2022 and more shocking noone will do anything about it for fear of annihilation. Do we really think Russia will press the big red button? 

What is equally shocking is civilians being asked to fight with AK47s and petrol bombs. Imagine Boris asking us to do that! I suppose those who wanted Syrians and Libyans to stay and fight for their country will be expecting the same from fleeing Ukrainians? 

The point of Nuclear Deterrents, or MAD. We or they can never be sure. The alternative to war is Jaw Jaw as Churchill said. 

I feel that the west should have said that we won't consider allowing the Ukraine into NATO for say 25 years, to be reviewed after that.

Don't like the phrase 'our fault' but when trying to empathise or understand the Russian perspective on Ukraine joining NATO, would we or the USA like Russian missiles in Mexico or similar for the UK?

For what could be potentially lost, including hundreds (even thousands) of lives, Ukraine losing its sovereignty, instability in Europe/World, economic hardship, I feel that a diplomatic solution should have been found.

Disclaimer: I have no political alignment with Farage. This (above) was genuinely my opinion before reading Farage's notes.

Edited by Diego Maradona

14 minutes ago, WV said:

Thing is, who’s to say he won’t press the button?  He has made an indirect threat to NATO should they interfere.

17 minutes ago, WV said:

The crackpot American right. Quislings one and all.

Edited by Doha

Advert:

NATO was Putins first excuse, then it was because of the Nazi Ukrainian Government, then it was to rid the Government from the genocide they are causing. Putin will take back every Soviet country if he has his way and will use every excuse to back himself up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

6% of our oil and 5% of our gas comes from Russia. Germany imports over 60%, they are the ones who are reluctant to increase sanctions.

Hungary 100%, BP has 25% shares in one of the major Russian gas companies. Countries are interdependent, there are only a few islands.

• Like 1

Putin telling the Ukranian people to rise up against their Government to overthrow them but when his own people do that against him he has them arrested and threatening to charge them with treason. Oh the irony.

On 24/02/2022 at 18:57, Jacko51 said:

Can we relegate Chelsea?

they should do something?, i think all football supporters either like Man. utd, or hate them, i'm one of the latter, but i applaud utd. for their actions over Aeroflots sponsorship. i await anything from Chelsea...

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

I feel that the west should have said that we won't consider allowing the Ukraine into NATO for say 25 years, to be reviewed after that.

Don't like the phrase 'our fault' but when trying to empathise or understand the Russian perspective on Ukraine joining NATO, would we or the USA like Russian missiles in Mexico or similar for the UK?

For what could be potentially lost, including hundreds (even thousands) of lives, Ukraine losing its sovereignty, instability in Europe/World, economic hardship, I feel that a diplomatic solution should have been found.

Disclaimer: I have no political alignment with Farage. This (above) was genuinely my opinion before reading Farage's notes.

Don't Ukraine get a say in whether they want to join NATO? (not sure how it works) 

Who is putting missiles in Ukraine? 

Your post sounds very much like an attempt to sympathise with the Russian situation while completely ignoring their actions in invading Ukraine. 

Edited by WV

Advert:

On 25/02/2022 at 10:47, For Us All said:

What is the United Nations response to all this?

in June 1950, the UNSC 82 allowed UN troops to go to the aid of S.Korea after it was invaded by N.Korea... whats the difference with Ukraine?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WV said:

Young Labour are taking the same stance?