• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Russia invade Ukraine

boslemportvale91

47 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Thanks for the explanation.

So as Ukraine aren't in NATO, no one is actually able to send troops over to support, as this will be a declaration of war towards Russia?

From what I understand, Ukraine have asked to join NATO a number of times - why would their request have been rejected? 

Just feels like the Ukrainian people have been left to fend for themselves. It's incredibly saddening.

It is an incredibly sad and difficult situation, but it's also very much a tightrope to walk for the western alliance to avoid stumbling into a much wider conflict and a possible WWIII with the even more frightening prospect of a nuclear conflagration!

• Like 1

Advert:

55 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

One thing has been shown….the Russian military is not that powerful and well trained. 

I think Putin sent in the youngsters, expecting a easy job more of a training exercise. But as with previous campaigns completely ruthless and destroying everything in his path.  Russians in the past have depended on sheer numbers, their rulers had plenty to use. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Just feels like the Ukrainian people have been left to fend for themselves.

The west is doing as much as it reasonably can without openly fighting a proxy war.

Billions of pounds worth of arms, kit, drones has already been sent and will continue to be sent.

The Ukrainian MOD are getting second by second intel updates from the signals intelligence assets that have been flying 24/7 sorties in Poland and Romania for the last several months as the build up continued on the border. You can guarantee American drones are, stealthily, around too. There’s a reason Russian forces and manoeuvres have been unexpectedly sucker punched several times by the Ukrainians already knowing exactly what the big picture looks like - it’s because they’re enjoying unfiltered access to spy satellites and SIGINT early warning radar aircraft. There’s a reason several Russian generals and senior commanders have been KIA in just the first two weeks, that is otherwise unprecedented…

Google ‘NLAW’ and ‘Bayraktar.’ Ukrainian forces are seeing incredible successes from British/Swedish anti tank missiles, and Turkish drones. More are being donated all the time. Russia has, by photo verification, lost over 1100 pieces of equipment in just two weeks. Tanks, APCs, SAM systems. That is an incredible number. A lot of it has literally just been abandoned, but a lot has been destroyed by Javelin or NLAW anti tank systems. 

There’s a lot of money flowing in too which is useful not just to keep the state running but also because Ukraine is offering a huge amount of cash, and a visa in the Baltic states, to Russian soldiers who surrender, and even more money if they handover their military hardware. Many have done so (surrendered or abandoned their kit and gone AWOL) already. 

Edited by Doha
  • Like 2

Advert:

50 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I think Putin sent in the youngsters, expecting a easy job more of a training exercise. But as with previous campaigns completely ruthless and destroying everything in his path.  Russians in the past have depended on sheer numbers, their rulers had plenty to use. 

They have less than 200,000 service men than the U.K. and we are a lot better trained. 

41 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

They have less than 200,000 service men than the U.K. and we are a lot better trained. 

Who does, Russia? Or Ukraine? Both have more service men than we do from what I’ve read. 

2 hours ago, WV said:

Who does, Russia? Or Ukraine? Both have more service men than we do from what I’ve read. 

Yes, both do. I was on about Russia but I think I was wrong after checking, there’s so many different reporting in the press and tv. Sky tv reported there was 900,000 Russian servicemen and 600,000 Ukraine service men. According to statista it’s 850k and 200k. I did read somewhere else that we had 700k, that too is wrong, it’s closer to 200k.

On 07/03/2022 at 21:13, Paul6754 said:

It's starting to come out that Russia has been covertly funding US  and European anti-fossil fuel groups for years and with hindsight preparing for the Ukraine invasion for years.

Great job Brandon......you p*ll*ck.

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/596304-investigate-russias-covert-funding-of-us-anti-fossil-fuel-groups

https://thefederalist.com/2022/03/01/stop-letting-environmental-groups-funded-by-russia-dictate-americas-energy-policy/

I see that VP Harris had another laughing fit in Warsaw when asked about America taking in Ukranian refugees?

On 13/03/2022 at 07:47, valeparklife said:

Thanks for the explanation.

So as Ukraine aren't in NATO, no one is actually able to send troops over to support, as this will be a declaration of war towards Russia?

From what I understand, Ukraine have asked to join NATO a number of times - why would their request have been rejected? 

Just feels like the Ukrainian people have been left to fend for themselves. It's incredibly saddening.

Ukraine hasn't actually been "rejected" as you put it.  There has been dialogue about possibly joining NATO at some point in the future but, as far as I am aware, no specific negotiations to be rejected on.

Advert:

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Ukraine hasn't actually been "rejected" as you put it.  There has been dialogue about possibly joining NATO at some point in the future but, as far as I am aware, no specific negotiations to be rejected on.

In Major`s time he signed an International agreement that Ukraine would not have Nuclear weapons and would be considered a Neutral country, and like a lot of things it was left to evolve.  Considered by Russia to being part of their historical Empire so another reason not to push things. What would have been the benefit to NATO for them to join?  Putin has been nibbling away at Ukraine for a few years now, why has he suddenly invaded the lot with a scorched earth policy? 

3 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

In Major`s time he signed an International agreement that Ukraine would not have Nuclear weapons and would be considered a Neutral country, and like a lot of things it was left to evolve.  Considered by Russia to being part of their historical Empire so another reason not to push things. What would have been the benefit to NATO for them to join?  Putin has been nibbling away at Ukraine for a few years now, why has he suddenly invaded the lot with a scorched earth policy? 

In fact it even pre-dates John Major.  At the time of the break-up of the old USSR (1989/90) part of the deal was that Ukraine to gain its neutral independence would give up the nuclear facilities that had previously been held on what eventually became Ukrainian territory.  However, as I understand it, this was never part of a formal agreement, but more a 'gentleman's agreeement' is one of the many reasons Putin is so against Ukraine becoming more 'westernised' by joining NATO and/or the EU.  Also, as you say, Putin has "been nibbling away at Ukraine" all the time he's been in power.  Although "nibbling" may well be a large understatement as he annexed Crimea in 2014 and has been supplying arms to insurgent fighting groups in the Donbas region of south eastern Ukraine for years!

This is a man who acts like a Tsar and is hell-bent on re-writing Soviet history as he sees it.  Incredibly, the majority of Russians (mainly the middle-aged and older citizens) appear to see things the way that Putin does and sadly, however much talk there is of a putsch.  Sadly, personally I don't think this is likely to happen any time soon nor, possibly, if ever.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, For Us All said:

I see that VP Harris had another laughing fit in Warsaw when asked about America taking in Ukranian refugees?

It's embarrassing FUA, it really is.  As one tv talking head said, "It's what you get when someone is appointed based on gender and race rather than on merit" or words to that effect.

I don't know where things stand with the USA accepting Ukrainian refugees but there are many, many people raising and donating money to the Ukrainian cause.

Edited by Paul6754
  • Like 2

You are being incredibly harsh on Kamala Harris.

I had no idea what was going on in Ukraine until she kindly explained it to me:

“So, Ukraine is a country in Europe.”

“It exists next to another country called Russia,” she continued. “Russia is a bigger country. Russia is a powerful country. Russia decided to invade a smaller country called Ukraine. So, basically, that’s wrong, and it goes against everything that we stand for.”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

You are being incredibly harsh on Kamala Harris.

I had no idea what was going on in Ukraine until she kindly explained it to me:

“So, Ukraine is a country in Europe.”

“It exists next to another country called Russia,” she continued. “Russia is a bigger country. Russia is a powerful country. Russia decided to invade a smaller country called Ukraine. So, basically, that’s wrong, and it goes against everything that we stand for.”

Not much gets past Horizontal. 

Advert:

Hes doing what hitler did between 1933-39, till in 1939 someone said "enough is enough"
Now is that time...
His armys heart isn't in the fight. Their g.g.grandads fought the Great Patriotic war they belived in their fight, and won it...