onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Russia invade Ukraine

boslemportvale91

Farage is a bit different to a contrarian but I can see the comparison. He just sits back and says everything mainstream politicians is doing is wrong. This is wrong, that organisation is wrong, they are incompetent, we should be doing this differently. If he has the benefit of hindsight then ever better. What he doesn't do is come up with ideas and solutions of his own to fix things going forward.

So in this example, he comes out and says the Western governments, NATO, Ukraine and all the politicians have got it wrong. With his wonderful hindsight this could all have been avoided. Of course we don't know the negative consequences of the Farage alternative history timeline, so his retrospective solutions come with no downsides.

Anyway, this thread is about Ukraine not Farage.

Advert

5 hours ago, philpvfc said:

I agree we should do what we can to help but sending troops against Russia could be very deadly, we don’t want a WW3. China and the likes will get involved and suddenly everything escalates. We should be providing weapons and should have done a long time ago. 

China sent troops to help the N.Koreans, and yes they did not have nuclear weapons but they did have the man power- a lot of it...

9 hours ago, Davebrad said:

they should do something?, i think all football supporters either like Man. utd, or hate them, i'm one of the latter, but i applaud utd. for their actions over Aeroflots sponsorship. i await anything from Chelsea...

i now see, and credit to him, even if it is down to push come shove...

9 hours ago, WV said:

Don't Ukraine get a say in whether they want to join NATO? (not sure how it works) 

Don't like the phrase 'our fault' but when trying to empathise or understand the Russian perspective on Ukraine joining NATO, would we or the USA like Russian missiles in Mexico or similar for the UK?

Who is putting missiles in Ukraine? 

Your post sounds very much like an attempt to sympathise with the Russian situation while completely ignoring their actions in invading Ukraine. 

My opinion is that Russia's actions could have been avoided if 'the west' had given a concession to Russia about Ukraine not joining NATO.

Why do you think Russia have invaded the Ukraine?

How do you expect to solve any conflict without understanding the opposing rhetoric? 

China sent troops to help the N.Koreans, and yes they did not have nuclear weapons but they did have the man power- a lot of it...
But the UN could go into Korea without the risk of a nuclear war with China, whereas with the current MAD system a direct war with a Russian madman is too much of a risk.

2 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

My opinion is that Russia's actions could have been avoided if 'the west' had given a concession to Russia about Ukraine not joining NATO.

Why do you think Russia have invaded the Ukraine?

How do you expect to solve any conflict without understanding the opposing rhetoric? 

If Ukraine had said no to joining NATO it would have been another excuse. Ukraine are in the process of joining the EU, the EU want to have their own army. Putin will use any excuse to justify what he is doing, the guy is off his rocker, lost the plot, I don’t know what he wants to achieve because he will never keep control of the Ukraine. 

7 hours ago, philpvfc said:

If Ukraine had said no to joining NATO it would have been another excuse. Ukraine are in the process of joining the EU, the EU want to have their own army. Putin will use any excuse to justify what he is doing, the guy is off his rocker, lost the plot, I don’t know what he wants to achieve because he will never keep control of the Ukraine. 

6 hours ago, geosname said:

Chamberlain..... Poland...... appeasement. 

My opinion is based on the fact that if we made a concession to Russia, Russia would not invade Ukraine. Now we'll obviously never know how that 'way forward' would have panned out.

Yes the relationship with Russia would not be fantastic but surely it would be better than the current situation. Also, there would be none of devastation that is now starting to play out, at least in the short to medium term: no loss of life, no refugees etc.

Respectfully, 'How do you see the current situation playing out in the short and medium term?' For: 

The Ukrainian people, where it leaves the relationship between NATO and Russia, the world economy and the stability of Europe?

29 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

My opinion is based on the fact that if we made a concession to Russia, Russia would not invade Ukraine. Now we'll obviously never know how that 'way forward' would have panned out.

Yes the relationship with Russia would not be fantastic but surely it would be better than the current situation. Also, there would be none of devastation that is now starting to play out, at least in the short to medium term: no loss of life, no refugees etc.

Respectfully, 'How do you see the current situation playing out in the short and medium term?' For: 

The Ukrainian people, where it leaves the relationship between NATO and Russia, the world economy and the stability of Europe?

What would you suggest? Ukraine banned from joining NATO? Ukraine withdraw their application to join the EU?, where does it end?. Russia cannot tell other independent countries what they can and cannot do. If we had then it will be the same for Finland and any other country Russia want to bully. 

If we had done as above and Russia had not invaded then it would have pushed Ukraine to form alliance with Russia making it another Belarus and making the rest of Europe more vulnerable.

Archived