onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Russia invade Ukraine

boslemportvale91

Advert

37 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Baltic states wondering, "Are we next" and they are NATO members. Would Europe/NATO defend them, worrying times.

Truly awful pictures coming out of Ukraine.

NATO will have to defend them. I don’t think Putin will stop at Ukraine. Georgia will be favourites to go next.

21 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

I think covid (china) and russian aggression has shown how important it is to be able to be self sufficient within the west.

We're propping them up because we rely on them so heavily for oil or cheap labour. 

Perhaps if we can work towards a future where we don't need anything from them, our sanctions would carry a lot more weight and we wouldn't be at a cross roads between giving them free reign to grow their empires or engage in world war 3.

We're not "propping them up". They're a massive part of the global economy. We can ban countries using Russian gas and oil and we can force companies to pull out of China. But that means huge increases in energy prices and the cost of living.

Considering people are already up in arms about sky high energy prices and living costs then I don't think that would prove too popular. Talk is cheap but people need to be willing to pay for these actions out of their own pocket and not say "oh billionaires and corporations have lots of money so they can pay for it".

I wonder who is taking the same stance as Farage on this? That it is our fault and we should have let Russia just take what it wants? 

It is shocking that this is happening in 2022 and more shocking noone will do anything about it for fear of annihilation. Do we really think Russia will press the big red button? 

What is equally shocking is civilians being asked to fight with AK47s and petrol bombs. Imagine Boris asking us to do that! I suppose those who wanted Syrians and Libyans to stay and fight for their country will be expecting the same from fleeing Ukrainians? 

4 minutes ago, WV said:

I wonder who is taking the same stance as Farage on this? That it is our fault and we should have let Russia just take what it wants? 

It is shocking that this is happening in 2022 and more shocking noone will do anything about it for fear of annihilation. Do we really think Russia will press the big red button? 

What is equally shocking is civilians being asked to fight with AK47s and petrol bombs. Imagine Boris asking us to do that! I suppose those who wanted Syrians and Libyans to stay and fight for their country will be expecting the same from fleeing Ukrainians? 

The point of Nuclear Deterrents, or MAD. We or they can never be sure. The alternative to war is Jaw Jaw as Churchill said. 

I feel that the west should have said that we won't consider allowing the Ukraine into NATO for say 25 years, to be reviewed after that.

Don't like the phrase 'our fault' but when trying to empathise or understand the Russian perspective on Ukraine joining NATO, would we or the USA like Russian missiles in Mexico or similar for the UK?

For what could be potentially lost, including hundreds (even thousands) of lives, Ukraine losing its sovereignty, instability in Europe/World, economic hardship, I feel that a diplomatic solution should have been found.

Disclaimer: I have no political alignment with Farage. This (above) was genuinely my opinion before reading Farage's notes.

14 minutes ago, WV said:

Thing is, who’s to say he won’t press the button?  He has made an indirect threat to NATO should they interfere.

30 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

6% of our oil and 5% of our gas comes from Russia. Germany imports over 60%, they are the ones who are reluctant to increase sanctions.

Hungary 100%, BP has 25% shares in one of the major Russian gas companies. Countries are interdependent, there are only a few islands.

Archived