Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Yep and why not, have people forgot how good they actually are? Need to get wingbacks who will play higher up the pitch, with more energy who are also willing to get behind. Especially at home on our pitch. Hussey doesn’t do that IMO. 

If you you care to read the post I replied to you’ll see the poster had included Hussey in their suggested team in a back 5 of Worrall Gibbo Hall Jones Hussey.  3 wingbacks, unless they were proposing Hussey as left sided CH.  Looks completely random to me.  Gibbo not fully fit.  Jones not match fit.  Why dismantle what has been a fairly solid central 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Caution to the wind! We have to play without fear now and try and outscore the opposition. 

Negative mentality isn't producing clean sheets or wins often enough.

We're safe from relegation and fearfully limping towards mid table nothingness.

We have players who have flare, pace, power and a goal threat. Let's change the negative mentality and fear of conceding a goal and actually try and WIN promotion! 

We've had decent crowds this season but we're rapidly becoming bored of this fearful, negative team who can't win at home! 

Sort it out Vale, games are rapidly running out now! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

If you you care to read the post I replied to you’ll see the poster had included Hussey in their suggested team in a back 5 of Worrall Gibbo Hall Jones Hussey.  3 wingbacks, unless they were proposing Hussey as left sided CH.  Looks completely random to me.  Gibbo not fully fit.  Jones not match fit.  Why dismantle what has been a fairly solid central 3?

I’ve relied to you already previously on this I think it could work. The same as England playing Kyle Walker at RCB and us playing Cass at RCB who is naturally a RWB. I agree we’ve been solid defensively but our defensive set up is hampering our attacking play. Lots of our moves in the early season we’re started by Cass and Jones. That’s why I’d like to see Gibbons in the role of Cass and Jones back in the 11. Don’t agree that it’s a random choice. Wasn’t Dan Jones a LB at previous clubs as well? 

Playing sides like Stevenage at home I think we can be more attacking and if we’re are insistent on picking 3 centre backs (something I don’t agree with) then I would like them to be able to join and start attacks. I’m sick of seeing sides countering our formation and leaving our spare man as Smith, if that were Gibbons it would be much more threatening for us. That’s my rational behind it. 

(I’d prefer us to got 433 / 4231 but it’s never going to happen) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

After watching the other night apart from the  creativity we won virtually every second ball bar the last minute giveaway so my team is as follows they will play with one up front so no point having 3 defenders back there were at home create space and have more attacking intent on .

        Holy 

       Hall 

Gibbons Pett Garrity Hussey 

  Worrall                Amoo 

               Wilson

           Proctor Edmondson 

That's my team real intent very few defensive players on .

Up and at them no messing .

Play to win from first kick and even at 2-0 up play like you still after that first goal. 

UTV 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Craziest selection I've ever seen,love it , who's your dealer?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With hindsight I think we panicked a little in January with our signings. Losing Cass was a huge blow and Politic gave us attacking options.

I'm ok with the keeper and Hall.

I don't know where Charsley or Cooper fit in. The two young forwards can't get a start now Proctor and Wilson are back. Hussey can take corners and offers no pace going forward. Robinson is one for the future. 

With Conlon injured there is no creativity so it looks like we are trying to do what we did when DC first arrived last and keep it tight and try to win 1-0. 

If this is the case then I'd bring Jones and Gibbo back in. Who for? No idea.

We need to turn these draws into wins. Starting with tomorrow

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


It’s quite amazing the likes of Swindon had virtually no players a week or so before the start of the season are doing so well. Williams who single handed ran us ragged at Vale park is not guaranteed at regular place. We seem to be lacking some vital ingredient as I think we have some good players but can’t seem to put teams to the sword. I would  like to see a bit more urgency and really get after teams. Very worried the season is drifting away from us with some very sloppy performances. Just hoping for a win tomorrow then let’s try to get a run going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time has come for the vale to get onto the front foot right at the start of the matches that are left no more tip tapping the ball sideways and back get stuck in to opposition from the start.If the ball is anywhere near the goal instead of looking for a team mate fire the ball towards the goal.

                                                            Holy

      Gibbons                 Smith              Hall                    Jones

                         Charsley                     Pett              Garrity

                                                        Wilson

                             Procter                              Edmondson

We need energy all over our big pitch plus we need it off the bench wlth Amoo, Worall,Harrott, Hussey, Cooper we are not playing Real Madrid tomorrow we are playing Stevenage for christ sake get at them come on VALE do it for the fans and DARELL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's being a lot of negativity this week after the late Rochdale goal on the Vale forums .

Yes we want promotion of course we do but if you look over the season overall there's very few times we have deserved lose on the basis of what I've being seeing 👀 all season .

 

Oldham Sutton Salford  Sunderland (league cup)Northampton away (Wilson missed from one yard out )even Brentford at home if Politic puts it in its 2-2 ,really on the basis of our second half efforts did we deserve lose I do not  think we deserved lose any of them games and we have only lost 10 games all season including cups  

So all the doom merchants get over yourselves .

For one Jamie Proctor and James Gibbons have to get up to match speed ,we have Conlon back soon he is creative and can put a ball in top corners from free kicks etc and has more importantly the pass that can break the lines in order for Gibbons and Worrall to flourish add that to our will to win majority of balls then eventually this club of ours will be winning regularly and more importantly achieve either top 3 or 7 for sure for me .

Add into the extra what every member of staff will be giving to DC one hopes the determination should be on another level .

What have you got. 

A positive end to the season .

Just somehow got get Wilson interested in playing he seems to me for someone so highly rated a player who does not get involved in games much as much as I would like to see .

His performances in the last 2 I have seen are not to the level they need be at  

Hussey is a good footballer but needs quicken up  especially when we are going at teams  no laboured approach totally positive 

Pace can really hurt league 2 teams .

We have much to do but we can 1000 per cent do it  

 

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

There's being a lot of negativity this week after the late Rochdale goal on the Vale forums .

Yes we want promotion of course we do but if you look over the season overall there's very few times we have deserved lose on the basis of what I've being seeing 👀 all season .

 

Oldham Sutton Salford  Sunderland (league cup)Northampton away (Wilson missed from one yard out )even Brentford at home if Politic puts it in its 2-2 ,really on the basis of our second half efforts did we deserve lose I do not  think we deserved lose any of them games and we have only lost 10 games all season including cups  

So all the doom merchants get over yourselves .

For one Jamie Proctor and James Gibbons have to get up to match speed ,we have Conlon back soon he is creative and can put a ball in top corners from free kicks etc and has more importantly the pass that can break the lines in order for Gibbons and Worrall to flourish add that to our will to win majority of balls then eventually this club of ours will be winning regularly and more importantly achieve either top 3 or 7 for sure for me .

Add into the extra what every member of staff will be giving to DC one hopes the determination should be on another level .

What have you got. 

A positive end to the season .

Just somehow got get Wilson interested in playing he seems to me for someone so highly rated a player who does not get involved in games much as much as I would like to see .

His performances in the last 2 I have seen are not to the level they need be at  

Hussey is a good footballer but needs quicken up  especially when we are going at teams  no laboured approach totally positive 

Pace can really hurt league 2 teams .

We have much to do but we can 1000 per cent do it  

 

UTV 

Love your optimism and really really hope your right but I’m afraid I can’t see it we look bang average at the moment and can’t see it changing even with conlon back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I’ve relied to you already previously on this I think it could work. The same as England playing Kyle Walker at RCB and us playing Cass at RCB who is naturally a RWB. I agree we’ve been solid defensively but our defensive set up is hampering our attacking play. Lots of our moves in the early season we’re started by Cass and Jones. That’s why I’d like to see Gibbons in the role of Cass and Jones back in the 11. Don’t agree that it’s a random choice. Wasn’t Dan Jones a LB at previous clubs as well? 

Playing sides like Stevenage at home I think we can be more attacking and if we’re are insistent on picking 3 centre backs (something I don’t agree with) then I would like them to be able to join and start attacks. I’m sick of seeing sides countering our formation and leaving our spare man as Smith, if that were Gibbons it would be much more threatening for us. That’s my rational behind it. 

(I’d prefer us to got 433 / 4231 but it’s never going to happen) 

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim. Walker is in there for his passing, both him and Hall are very comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Good enough for me.

I’ve no idea if Stevenage have a tall striker, or strikers, say they do, by playing Gibbo on the right of the back 3 you would be allowing them to use a simple tactic to attack us as they’d just park their big forward on Gibbo’s toes all game and bang the ball up to him.  He simply isn’t tall enough to play the position, it’d be something we’d do in an emergency and then he’d probably play in the centre and have a big defender each side of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


38 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim.

It's not exactly a whim when we've won 4 in 15, fallen from 2nd to 10th, and scored 8 goals in 9. Something needs to be altered.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Yes but maybe not the tight as a ducks @rse defence. 

The defence with one clean sheet in five? Or three in ten?

Even if the defence was regularly keeping clean sheets (and it's not), we have to get out of the mindset that 'defenders only defend, attackers only attack'. The defence is vital in starting attacks and the attack is vital in leading pressing/defence.

If we play three at the back, we need wide centre backs who can carry the ball/pass through lines. Smith and Hall are good defenders but they can't do what Cass and Jones did in the same role, which is a part of why we're not scoring anywhere near enough. Progressing the ball from back to front was much easier with Lucas, Cass, and Jones than it is with Holy, Smith, and Hall.

Edited by Joe B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams will finish above us but lose more, because they are not wasting time and points being scared of teams that can manage one shot in a game. These draws are a slow death. It’s better to get 3 wins and 3 losses than 1 win, 4 draws and 1 loss. 

If we <ovf censored> it, we <ovf censored> it, but at least set up to try!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, either;

Covolan

Gibbons Hall Smith Hussey

Pett Garrity

Amoo Wilson Worrall

Proctor

OR

Covolan

Hall Smith Jones

Gibbons Pett Garrity Hussey

Wilson

Proctor Harratt

 

It's getting to the point where a failure to win here would destroy a lot of hope in the fanbase.

Yes, it's nice and comforting to do 15 x 3 and say '45 points to play for!' but 'momentum' and 'pressure' are massive in sport. We can't be heading into the run-in with no margin for error - it'll get tense, cagey, and risk-averse.

I think I read that 5 of our remaining 8 home games are against teams above us - this only underlines my point. These can't become 'win or bust' games. We need to be picking up 3-4 wins in the next 4 so we can approach these better teams more confident and with margin for error. We can't keep limping to the business end and then praying we figure it out.

Edited by Joe B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim. Walker is in there for his passing, both him and Hall are very comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Good enough for me.

I’ve no idea if Stevenage have a tall striker, or strikers, say they do, by playing Gibbo on the right of the back 3 you would be allowing them to use a simple tactic to attack us as they’d just park their big forward on Gibbo’s toes all game and bang the ball up to him.  He simply isn’t tall enough to play the position, it’d be something we’d do in an emergency and then he’d probably play in the centre and have a big defender each side of him.

I do agree. Defence has played well, Walker has been good. But I think there is a difference of how cass, Jones, gibbons bring the ball out and build attacks  

I do feel though, when Walker is playing there we look for his long balls too much. Not his fault and to be fair quite a lot are decent balls, but it’s as if it’s become our only gameplan. I’m sick of us setting up to stop the opposition, hall is good enough to win headers if need be, let them worry about us.  Gibbo on the right side for me would be very similar with Cass. It has its down sides and I remember a few occasions a cross into where cass was which led to goals, however the amount of chances it created at the other end makes it worth it for me personally. I know it’s a completely different standard. But Walker player there for England and he isn’t tall. I would say Hussey at LCB and then GIbbo LWB but then that means probably Jones missed out again 

Still, I’d much prefer a back 4 personally. Gibbo at RB and Worrall further up. 

Edited by valiant_593

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim. Walker is in there for his passing, both him and Hall are very comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Good enough for me.

I’ve no idea if Stevenage have a tall striker, or strikers, say they do, by playing Gibbo on the right of the back 3 you would be allowing them to use a simple tactic to attack us as they’d just park their big forward on Gibbo’s toes all game and bang the ball up to him.  He simply isn’t tall enough to play the position, it’d be something we’d do in an emergency and then he’d probably play in the centre and have a big defender each side of him.

As good as we looked with Cass and Jones in the back three and we did attack and score more goals, the failing with them both was there defensive duties. You are right Gibbons is not a centre back and would get caught out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

The defence with one clean sheet in five? Or three in ten?

Even if the defence was regularly keeping clean sheets (and it's not), we have to get out of the mindset that 'defenders only defend, attackers only attack'. The defence is vital in starting attacks and the attack is vital in leading pressing/defence.

If we play three at the back, we need wide centre backs who can carry the ball/pass through lines. Smith and Hall are good defenders but they can't do what Cass and Jones did in the same role, which is a part of why we're not scoring anywhere near enough. Progressing the ball from back to front was much easier with Lucas, Cass, and Jones than it is with Holy, Smith, and Hall.

Yes. Someone else can see this too. Not only that but it pushed forward our five midfiels players and guess what we had men in the box when we crossed a ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...