onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

I also want an answer to the bad pitch argument. The argument is we can't attack effectively because the pitch is inconsistent. These players aren't old enough to remember 70's pitches when Derby County's 1972 title win was based on having the worst pitch in the entire football league at the Baseball Ground. 

The bad pitch argument at Vale Park is challenged by the facts. Yesterday Stevenage, a team I believed we should beat 5-0 after 12 minutes, had 57% possession, 9 shots to our 6, 504 passes to our 375. Now luckily they are limited going forward and if they had been a team near the top of the league our defence would have had a much bigger challenge. 

The conclusion I come to, from observation and stats, is our ball retention yesterday was appalling. And that ain't to do with the pitch when both teams are playing on it. I think we were poor at short passes and poor at balls into target men and showed poor judgement as when to do either. 

Advert

12 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Wilson appears to be this month's scapegoat...despite the fact that in early season, he wasn't hitting many goals but most people seemed to recognise his importance to our play - how quickly they choose to forget!...we even had a fans' poll on was he an asset to our team, FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is he a scapegoat? It’s probably the fact that the last few games he hasn’t performed close to what he can do and what we have seen this time this season. That’s not making someone a scapegoat ffs. That just watching the game and saying he hasn’t been very good recently!!! Forgot everyone in our team is a 10/10 every match unless their name is Martin or Hussey. Wilson has been poor recently that’s a fact that isn’t making him a scapegoat. 

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

For the ultra-pessimists amongst us, can I just point out that...with 15 games to go...we are only 1 point off what is generally accepted as safe from relegation? Smile!!!

I said this to me dad yesterday. Every team should be aiming for promotion every season else what’s the point. However, being ‘sensible’ staving of relegation at the other end of the table after the absolute car crash that we have been over the past few years is incredible. 

Performances aren’t ‘thrilling’ at the minute granted and I find us incredibly boring in our style of play, slow and laboured. But the improvement from the past few years is there for all too see from top to bottom. 

We get greedy as fans as expectation builds. Sometimes we need to just step back and look at the bigger picture. 

Are we good enough to go up? Who knows. Think it’s fair to say we are solid but not spectacular atm. We lack pace and flair. One thing for definite though is one more win and we are pretty much safe with 15 to play. Would have snapped your hand off at the beginning of the season for that!!

UTV

Awful conditions yesterday for any type of free flowing football that some expect every week . 
We won , clean sheet, 3 points to our total , move on to the next one . 
Just because a team plays poorly against us there’s nothing in the rules to say you have to beat them by any more goals than one , you still get three points which is the objective. We’d all prefer it to be much more entertaining but three points at this or any stage of the season is more important . 

This League is very tight which proves nearly all the teams can beat each other on the day . 
The scapegoating of certain players is pathetic, some can do no wrong even when they do and some can do nothing right even when they do . 
We all have our favourites but for goodness sake there’s no benefit to constantly berating the ones you don’t like , give it a rest . 
UTV

12 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

Absolutely love Gibbo,such commitment and grit,touch and skill...our standout player right now. Ten more with his determination,wow, that'd make all of us and the gaffer proud. 

Some would still find a reason to criticise 😞

Garrity played even though the day before he couldn't get a boot on that's character heart and determination that tells me we no matter how yesterday panned out what kind of players we have at out football club .

Very proud of the lads onto Harrogate .

Garrity by the way his tremendous watching yesterday in years gone by not this season especially since Garrity as partnered Pett in that midfield area teams used to crash a significant amount of goals in against us from distance now its very rare we concede any from outside the box .

If anything we are as solid as a rock with Walker back there but I feel especially with Garrity and Worrall carrying knocks maybe it's time to utilise the squad and give the shirt to other players no point in making it worse in Ben Garritys case and Worrall well that didn't look too good to me and could be out for a few games .

So the squads players have a chance to stake there claim .

A wins a win  .

7 points off 2nd with Newport Bristol Rovers Exeter (home and away )Mansfield to come Sutton 

Its in our hands we can get top 3 

UTV 

It’s three vital points! Keeps the pot  boiling hopefully a few more wins and we could be back in the mix. Mansfield seem to be on a roll but everyone else seems to be having a slip up here and there. If we can get four points from the next two games we will have done very well. Come on you whites!

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

It’s three vital points! Keeps the pot  boiling hopefully a few more wins and we could be back in the mix. Mansfield seem to be on a roll but everyone else seems to be having a slip up here and there. If we can get four points from the next two games we will have done very well. Come on you whites!

I couldn’t agree more, beat Harrogate and Colchester and keep going, then Salford away and things keep going UTV

I genuinely think we have made progress.

Jones was probably the best defender at the start of the season,now he can't get a game.

This current shape will not play free flowing football but they will be solid and hard to score against 

Considering what injuries the team has suffered,plus the tragic circumstances of our manager,the team is still in there with a shout.

The team seem united,the fans have been superb.

Keeping clean sheets will add to the points tally.

7th top in goals scored,5th best defence. I'm pleased with how we've done this season

12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Too windy for free flowing football today but it’s 3 points in the bag.  2 quick fire goals and then we took our foot off the gas, which killed the game as a spectacle.  Big shout out to Ben Garrity who apparently wasn’t fit to play.

Agreed,second only to Gibbo as MOTM.Time to give him a rest in my opinion after playing last six games.Would love to see his stats for mileage covered?

Whatever his injury record, we should be making every effort to get Gibbons to commit to another contract. He effectively won the game after 13 minutes for us yesterday. He's assisted three of our last four goals, despite playing less than half of the minutes in that timeframe.

He's a future captain and a unique player - I don't know where you sign another Gibbo from. I think he's our most important player by a significant margin, on his weak foot in a position he's never played before. 

Priority number 1 for Flitcroft.

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Pett is a sitting midfielder, and is pretty good at it. He's won a title at this level in the exact same role.

If we had any creative midfielders in the squad bar Conlon he wouldn't look as bad. Unfortunately, he's paired with Garrity, who is good but not creative either. 

Pett is a sitting midfielder for us but he wasn't for Stevenage,scored a fair few for them

Archived