onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Never got the hatred for Theo myself. But there you go. Same with McKirdy.  We didn't get a tune out of them.  Our problem or theirs?

We have just become so predictable. Too defensive. Too cautious. Rochdale was a shocker. Even Carlisle flattered us, with the late Amoo goal. It needs shaking up. Another turgid draw against Stevenage is taking us nowhere.  But I think Crosby is in a tricky situation. Is he allowed to tear up DC's plan A?  Personally I am fed up the rigid sticking to five at the back. However you dress it up.

Mix it up a bit.

Advert

15 hours ago, MBE said:

I thought that was a really good presser from AC. The body language and tone was excellent. Got me fired up for tomorrow anyway.

It’s going to be the start of a winning run tomorrow!

Darrell Clarkes black and white.

Lets hope so,3 or 4 wins on the bounce can and will make a massive difference...Top 3 might be beyond us a little now BUT anyone who thinks we are out of the play off picture at this moment in time is a bit deluded imo

15 hours ago, 1 said:

Whatever anyone wants, Holy is the keeper from now until he has a head glitch and costs us points.

Goalkeepers will make mistakes even the best do but sadly those mistakes cost games,i like Holy,he kept a lot of clean sheets in the past and i hope we can keep him. Our problem has been in other areas,the defence is pretty solid(again apart from the odd mistake) we aren't conceding that many,goals wise we are lacking but get Proctor fully fit then i think/hope that will change,we really miss Conlons creativity(yes he was less effective in his last few games but we know now he was carrying an injury) so get him back and Gibbo fully fit as well then i am sure we will again be all systems go... onwards and upwards

12 hours ago, Inny said:
15 hours ago, 1 said:
Whatever anyone wants, Holy is the keeper from now until he has a head glitch and costs us points.

He arguably cost us points on Tuesday. I would expected him to have saved that.

I would of expected the defence to of done more tbh,they had plenty of opportunity to clear the ball or at least put a tackle in,Walker was easily brushed off in that move

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

Never got the hatred for Theo myself. But there you go. Same with McKirdy.  We didn't get a tune out of them.  Our problem or theirs?

We have just become so predictable. Too defensive. Too cautious. Rochdale was a shocker. Even Carlisle flattered us, with the late Amoo goal. It needs shaking up. Another turgid draw against Stevenage is taking us nowhere.  But I think Crosby is in a tricky situation. Is he allowed to tear up DC's plan A?  Personally I am fed up the rigid sticking to five at the back. However you dress it up.

Mix it up a bit.

My guess is and thats all it is,is that AC will be picking the team and formations for the time being maybe even until the seasons end as i doubt very much that DC's mind is on football at all

It's fairly simple in that if we want to play with a super high line and press the opposition relentlessly, then Lucas and all of his many, many flaws is the better option than Holy.

I too lost faith with Lucas post-Swindon, but he was signed to facilitate a certain style of play. Holy can't replicate that. That's no knock on him as a keeper.

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

Mix it up a bit.

Robinson was about the worst striker I’ve ever seen for vale. Both spells both horrific. Dreadful footballer. Been useless for Bradford as well. Agree with the rest, but I think he will mix it up today 

Met a friend of mine who is a Tranmere fan at a curry night this week. His view of Port Vale (yes he is still fuming) is we had no creativity and for most of the game posed no threat. I couldn't go, so I don't know. But it does sit with what I see. We desperately need creativity in midfield. 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Lets hope so,3 or 4 wins on the bounce can and will make a massive difference...Top 3 might be beyond us a little now BUT anyone who thinks we are out of the play off picture at this moment in time is a bit deluded imo

To be fair the league is that close, plus with the home games we have I honestly don’t think we are out of contention for automatic. We just have to put that winning run together and be a little more positive in our play.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

It's fairly simple in that if we want to play with a super high line and press the opposition relentlessly, then Lucas and all of his many, many flaws is the better option than Holy.

I too lost faith with Lucas post-Swindon, but he was signed to facilitate a certain style of play. Holy can't replicate that. That's no knock on him as a keeper.

I disagree with this, accepting I didn't go to Rochdale or Tranmere. Holy kicks out very well to the sides of the pitch and keeps it in most of the time. Also he can kick it a very long way with those levers. He also shows reasonable calm passing it in to central midfield. I accept Lucas was capable of good passes and even great passes, but in my opinion he was less consistent with bread and butter. The Swindon incident is difficult to look past because it was such an important 6 pointer game. 

15 minutes ago, Warren said:

I disagree with this, accepting I didn't go to Rochdale or Tranmere. Holy kicks out very well to the sides of the pitch and keeps it in most of the time. Also he can kick it a very long way with those levers. He also shows reasonable calm passing it in to central midfield. I accept Lucas was capable of good passes and even great passes, but in my opinion he was less consistent with bread and butter. The Swindon incident is difficult to look past because it was such an important 6 pointer game. 

It's less about passing and more about mobility.

Holy doesn't like coming off his line. Holy has a cannon for a leg but if we want to press high, your keeper needs to be comfortable coming a long way out of his goal to sweep up, as there will be oceans of space between the back three and the goalkeeper.

Holy is probably a good goalkeeper but he's 6"8 and not very mobile. It would be a disaster to ask him to patrol the final third when our back three pushes up. 

Lucas was signed, I think, for this exact reason - he would facilitate a high-pressing game which required a high defensive line, allowing us to impose ourselves on the opposition. His flaws with the bread and butter are undisputed - I can barely remember him making anything more than a 'good' save. 

As people have said, it's a futile discussion, as Lucas has been ostracised (not without justification) and Holy has been signed to be the main man.

Archived