onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

The defence with one clean sheet in five? Or three in ten?

Even if the defence was regularly keeping clean sheets (and it's not), we have to get out of the mindset that 'defenders only defend, attackers only attack'. The defence is vital in starting attacks and the attack is vital in leading pressing/defence.

If we play three at the back, we need wide centre backs who can carry the ball/pass through lines. Smith and Hall are good defenders but they can't do what Cass and Jones did in the same role, which is a part of why we're not scoring anywhere near enough. Progressing the ball from back to front was much easier with Lucas, Cass, and Jones than it is with Holy, Smith, and Hall.

The beauty of stats is they can be moulded to show pretty much anything you like? Taking a snapshot of our season shows an unfair comparison - we've conceded only 1 goal per game, on average, in the League, and only 5 (I think?) teams have conceded fewer - and not by many.  I understand the frustration of only drawing against some teams - but when 3 of those teams are above us it is paramount not to lose so their leads over us don't get stretched. Against Rochdale - well...we did exactly the same thing the game before and one mistake. It's fair to say that our creativity has dipped in direct proportion to our injuries - maybe if they hadn't happened and games not been called off, we would have continued to score at a good rate, and maybe have conceded fewer goals? It's all hypothetical!

17 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

The beauty of stats is they can be moulded to show pretty much anything you like? Taking a snapshot of our season shows an unfair comparison - we've conceded only 1 goal per game, on average, in the League, and only 5 (I think?) teams have conceded fewer - and not by many.  

The vast majority of the that good defensive record was not with the back three people are advocating not to change! The snapshot taken was the games those players had played in - people were referring to it as a 'tight' unit and I was making the point that they haven't been.

1 hour ago, Frank Mustard said:

Covalan starts for me tomorrow. Head and shoulders above Holy and Stone. His bans up, he's learned from it, move on and get him in the nets. 

I find that really difficult to believe. Cov would face to be 7ft!😁

1 hour ago, Frank Mustard said:

Covalan starts for me tomorrow. Head and shoulders above Holy and Stone. His bans up, he's learned from it, move on and get him in the nets. 

How do you know he’s learnt from it, he didn’t learn from the first two.

7 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Love your optimism and really really hope your right but I’m afraid I can’t see it we look bang average at the moment and can’t see it changing even with conlon back 

I can understand people's reservations about our prospects especially when we have 3 games in a week most weeks now and our pitch is heavy so it will take it out of the players (squad should be able cope with it there's enough of them who can contribute in different ways ).

If we go for it in all of remaining games there's no reason why we cannot do it .

We have enough about us do it but we will not do it if the crowd are negative every single supporter those who go that is not the negative I watch every game online and shout at the telly but I ain't there so my encouraging voice what enrages the neighbours is of no help only them at the  ground can make a difference with encouragement some games I have attended this season if I was DC I'd be putting a rocket up the fans arses .

You make it as intimidating as you can. 

The fans can be the difference .

Not the away following for Vale  there support is generally very good .

The home fans need get themselves up for it .

UTV 

4 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Fed up of reading how wonderful Covalan is. He is a player who has had a career in the Isthmian league south, conference and national league south.

He behaved unprofessionally 3 times this season in a position where you can have a whole career without getting sent off.

Holy has 150 games at a higher level than league 2, more than anyone else at the club. I just don’t see how anyone can say Covalan is better.  

So many fans seem to enjoy watching dreadful non-league players who make mistakes. He isn’t going to change, he will keep on stuffing up. 

He will never be seen again at Vale and Clarke knows this. He will be back in non-league as soon as a payoff to his final year deal is done. 

I bet he will get the push and join Hanley Town or something. No way will another league club take the gamble we did. 

Not sure the relevance of Holy playing over 150 games at league 1 has.  Theo Robinson has over 300 games at League 1 and above, Jamilee Matt and Matt Stevens who have about 35 goals at ForestGreen have played about 10 games at league 1, I know which strikers I would prefer.

He arguably cost us points on Tuesday. I would expected him to have saved that.
You could just as easily argue that Wilson cost us two points with his miss just prior to the equaliser- I could say that i would have expected him to have scored that.
But he didn't, and Holy had no chance with the goal if you ask me.
It's football, you see it one way, some may agree, I saw it another way, some may agree.
Let's see tomorrow what the management think.

5 hours ago, 1 said:

Holy

Smith Walker Hall Hussey

Charsley Pett Garrity

Woz Proctor Amoo

Wilson on at halftime / 60 mins for Proctor

Gibbo on at halftime if it’s going <ovf censored> up.

That would be my 11, perhaps with Stone in. Not convinced about Holy.

I think Crosbys words in todays press conference could be very telling, especially as we’re at home:

“We have to take risks in the final third because the rewards are great. Maybe we have been a little bit safe and predictable so we have to be more positive and assertive when we get into the final third and back ourselves to go and take on an opponent, to run past an opponent, to take a shot from the edge of the box.”

I’d be trying to go back to a formation that we were playing before Christmas when we were playing well and were looking much more dangerous in the final third. 3-5-2 with Worrall and gibbo as wingbacks. Proctor and Wilson up top and play Garrity or Pett higher up the pitch closer to the front 2. 

3 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Not sure the relevance of Holy playing over 150 games at league 1 has.  Theo Robinson has over 300 games at League 1 and above, Jamilee Matt and Matt Stevens who have about 35 goals at ForestGreen have played about 10 games at league 1, I know which strikers I would prefer.

These days and what I saw of him across two periods at Vale I’d agree, but somehow across 300 champ/league 1 games Robinson got 106 goals. 

I find it incredibly hard to believe, but go back pre 2014 and he seemed rather decent. 

Archived