onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

13 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I’ve relied to you already previously on this I think it could work. The same as England playing Kyle Walker at RCB and us playing Cass at RCB who is naturally a RWB. I agree we’ve been solid defensively but our defensive set up is hampering our attacking play. Lots of our moves in the early season we’re started by Cass and Jones. That’s why I’d like to see Gibbons in the role of Cass and Jones back in the 11. Don’t agree that it’s a random choice. Wasn’t Dan Jones a LB at previous clubs as well? 

Playing sides like Stevenage at home I think we can be more attacking and if we’re are insistent on picking 3 centre backs (something I don’t agree with) then I would like them to be able to join and start attacks. I’m sick of seeing sides countering our formation and leaving our spare man as Smith, if that were Gibbons it would be much more threatening for us. That’s my rational behind it. 

(I’d prefer us to got 433 / 4231 but it’s never going to happen) 

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim. Walker is in there for his passing, both him and Hall are very comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Good enough for me.

I’ve no idea if Stevenage have a tall striker, or strikers, say they do, by playing Gibbo on the right of the back 3 you would be allowing them to use a simple tactic to attack us as they’d just park their big forward on Gibbo’s toes all game and bang the ball up to him.  He simply isn’t tall enough to play the position, it’d be something we’d do in an emergency and then he’d probably play in the centre and have a big defender each side of him.

Advert

38 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim.

It's not exactly a whim when we've won 4 in 15, fallen from 2nd to 10th, and scored 8 goals in 9. Something needs to be altered.

36 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

Yes but maybe not the tight as a ducks @rse defence. 

The defence with one clean sheet in five? Or three in ten?

Even if the defence was regularly keeping clean sheets (and it's not), we have to get out of the mindset that 'defenders only defend, attackers only attack'. The defence is vital in starting attacks and the attack is vital in leading pressing/defence.

If we play three at the back, we need wide centre backs who can carry the ball/pass through lines. Smith and Hall are good defenders but they can't do what Cass and Jones did in the same role, which is a part of why we're not scoring anywhere near enough. Progressing the ball from back to front was much easier with Lucas, Cass, and Jones than it is with Holy, Smith, and Hall.

Teams will finish above us but lose more, because they are not wasting time and points being scared of teams that can manage one shot in a game. These draws are a slow death. It’s better to get 3 wins and 3 losses than 1 win, 4 draws and 1 loss. 

If we <ovf censored> it, we <ovf censored> it, but at least set up to try!!

For me, either;

Covolan

Gibbons Hall Smith Hussey

Pett Garrity

Amoo Wilson Worrall

Proctor

OR

Covolan

Hall Smith Jones

Gibbons Pett Garrity Hussey

Wilson

Proctor Harratt

It's getting to the point where a failure to win here would destroy a lot of hope in the fanbase.

Yes, it's nice and comforting to do 15 x 3 and say '45 points to play for!' but 'momentum' and 'pressure' are massive in sport. We can't be heading into the run-in with no margin for error - it'll get tense, cagey, and risk-averse.

I think I read that 5 of our remaining 8 home games are against teams above us - this only underlines my point. These can't become 'win or bust' games. We need to be picking up 3-4 wins in the next 4 so we can approach these better teams more confident and with margin for error. We can't keep limping to the business end and then praying we figure it out.

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s your team but personally I can’t see the logic of smashing up the back 3 on a whim. Walker is in there for his passing, both him and Hall are very comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass. Good enough for me.

I’ve no idea if Stevenage have a tall striker, or strikers, say they do, by playing Gibbo on the right of the back 3 you would be allowing them to use a simple tactic to attack us as they’d just park their big forward on Gibbo’s toes all game and bang the ball up to him.  He simply isn’t tall enough to play the position, it’d be something we’d do in an emergency and then he’d probably play in the centre and have a big defender each side of him.

I do agree. Defence has played well, Walker has been good. But I think there is a difference of how cass, Jones, gibbons bring the ball out and build attacks  

I do feel though, when Walker is playing there we look for his long balls too much. Not his fault and to be fair quite a lot are decent balls, but it’s as if it’s become our only gameplan. I’m sick of us setting up to stop the opposition, hall is good enough to win headers if need be, let them worry about us.  Gibbo on the right side for me would be very similar with Cass. It has its down sides and I remember a few occasions a cross into where cass was which led to goals, however the amount of chances it created at the other end makes it worth it for me personally. I know it’s a completely different standard. But Walker player there for England and he isn’t tall. I would say Hussey at LCB and then GIbbo LWB but then that means probably Jones missed out again 

Still, I’d much prefer a back 4 personally. Gibbo at RB and Worrall further up. 

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

As good as we looked with Cass and Jones in the back three and we did attack and score more goals, the failing with them both was there defensive duties. You are right Gibbons is not a centre back and would get caught out.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Even if the defence was regularly keeping clean sheets (and it's not), we have to get out of the mindset that 'defenders only defend, attackers only attack'. The defence is vital in starting attacks and the attack is vital in leading pressing/defence.

If we play three at the back, we need wide centre backs who can carry the ball/pass through lines. Smith and Hall are good defenders but they can't do what Cass and Jones did in the same role, which is a part of why we're not scoring anywhere near enough. Progressing the ball from back to front was much easier with Lucas, Cass, and Jones than it is with Holy, Smith, and Hall.

Yes. Someone else can see this too. Not only that but it pushed forward our five midfiels players and guess what we had men in the box when we crossed a ball

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Way too sensible.

Holy

Smith Walker Hall Hussey

Charsley Pett Garrity

Woz Proctor Amoo

Wilson on at halftime / 60 mins for Proctor

Gibbo on at halftime if it’s going <ovf censored> up.

On 23/02/2022 at 15:19, Portvale4 said:

Covolan

Gibbo          Hall       Jones 

Worrall         Pett       Garrity      Hussey

Covolan in for Holy - he's the better goalkeeper, despite his madness. He commands a higher line which contributes more effectively towards our style of play.

Fed up of reading how wonderful Covalan is. He is a player who has had a career in the Isthmian league south, conference and national league south.

He behaved unprofessionally 3 times this season in a position where you can have a whole career without getting sent off.

Holy has 150 games at a higher level than league 2, more than anyone else at the club. I just don’t see how anyone can say Covalan is better.  

So many fans seem to enjoy watching dreadful non-league players who make mistakes. He isn’t going to change, he will keep on stuffing up. 

He will never be seen again at Vale and Clarke knows this. He will be back in non-league as soon as a payoff to his final year deal is done. 

I bet he will get the push and join Hanley Town or something. No way will another league club take the gamble we did. 

5 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Fed up of reading how wonderful Covalan is. He is a player who has had a career in the Isthmian league south, conference and national league south.

He behaved unprofessionally 3 times this season in a position where you can have a whole career without getting sent off.

Holy has 150 games at a higher level than league 2, more than anyone else at the club. I just don’t see how anyone can say Covalan is better.  

So many fans seem to enjoy watching dreadful non-league players who make mistakes. He isn’t going to change, he will keep on stuffing up. 

He will never be seen again at Vale and Clarke knows this. He will be back in non-league as soon as a payoff to his final year deal is done. 

I bet he will get the push and join Hanley Town or something. No way will another league club take the gamble we did. 

lol... bit OTT 

41 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

It's not as reductive as you make out. For one, I don't think anyone has said he's wonderful.

I think Holy is a better keeper than Lucas too. I also think Lucas has a skillset which helps the type of game we want to play, and Holy doesn't. Holy is static, rooted to his line, and slow.

Lucas was in goal every game when we were all losing our heads about how brilliant everything was, just in the run-up to that Bradford game. We were on a daft run, Clarke won back to back manager of the months etc. We were playing good football and could press at will, in part due to what Lucas could offer (as intimated by Gibbo and Cass at a SC meeting).

I don't think we'll see Lucas again either, and I don't think he can complain about that. His Swindon farce is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen a Vale player do.

I also think Lucas makes us a better overall team than Holy does. I wish football was as easy as 'just pick the best players in isolation from each other + the style of football you want to play, and pray'. Holy certainly hasn't done much thus far to suggest he's much better than the other keepers at the club.

Archived