onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, andy jones said:

We have to do what we have never done ...

Beat Stevenage at Vale Park 

No idiotic defending, no passing it around till Christmas, no tinkering with formations before or during the game.

Just get out there and beat an inferior team

Exactly they’re 19th 5 points above relegation played more games than the others apart from scunny for a reason they’re sh:te so let’s get on the front foot from the start utv

21 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Attack them from the off. 

Im guessing it will still be a back 3/5 so I’d go

Stone 

Worrall Gibbons Hall Jones Hussey 

Pett Garrity      

Wilson      Proctor    Amoo 

Harsh on Smith. But against a poor side at home if we’re playing a back 5 I want the RCB and LCB attacking like Cass and Jones did before. Pett and Garrity in the middle is probably a bit light but again I want us to attack these and I’m not convinced Walker is needed against poor sides especially at home.  Stone for me in nets. Didn’t think he deserved to be dropped, better than Holy and Cov is just too much of a liability for me. 

Seriously?  Worrall and Gibbons together?

7 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Seriously?  Worrall and Gibbons together?

Yep and why not, have people forgot how good they actually are? Need to get wingbacks who will play higher up the pitch, with more energy who are also willing to get behind. Especially at home on our pitch. Hussey doesn’t do that IMO. 

Not a chance of this happening but this 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 in recent months has been pretty awful to watch apart from 45 mins against Forest Green and the Carlisle game.  For me I'd like to give a simple 4-4-2 a go.

Covolan

Gibbons Smith Hall Hussey

Worrall Pett Garrity Amoo

Proctor Wilson

Let's start on the front foot, get in their faces and give it a go.

If we don’t bring Charsley in now, I seriously wonder what the point of buying him was. Isn’t he supposed to be someone who can create something? So why not put him in and see if he can be the link we do obviously miss in the middle.

I don’t think we will do anything other than 532 for the rest of the season win, lose or draw, but 433 for the next 3 games for me. Give it time to bed in.

Feel free to ignore this lengthy post, just getting thoughts out

There's a few issues which I've been thinking about. We had a successful style of play early on which we seem to be trying to replicate. This isn't happening because:

1. Whilst wing-backs worked for us earlier in the season, the loss of Cass has really hurt the system. His ability to either underlap or overlap created a lot of problems on the flanks, leading to cutbacks and a lot of our goals. In addition, Hussey isn't the type to 'get behind' the opposition, which was important to how we played.

2. We have to accept the fact that if we don't play Lucas, we can't press anywhere near as high. You can't trust Stone on Stilts to sweep.

3. We have a real creativity issue in the absence of Conlon, Politic, in-form Worrall, and wide CBs who are comfortable on the ball.

There's a reason our goals and results have dipped hugely. I don't think we can replicate the early season approach, despite our trying. We need to re-evaluate.

I'd look at this sort of team:

Lucas

Gibbons Hall Smith Hussey

Pett Garrity

Amoo Wilson Worrall

Proctor

Wilson is a number 10 and nothing else, and even then he's not a consistent player. However, when on the ball in central areas he does have the ability to beat players. We need more balls into dangerous areas which Worrall provides by pure volume of crossing, and Amoo provides by getting behind his man when played on his favoured right (Amoo on the left is pointless as he has to cut back, wasting his pace).

This would suit Hussey a bit more as a full-back who supports, rather than finishes, attacking moves. I don't like Garrity sitting deep at all, and remain convinced his future is as a forward/number 10, but his goal threat and work-rate make him undroppable. 

We can press high with a very hard-working, energetic team, with Lucas able to sweep. The centre-backs have no pressure to create anything. Worrall, Amoo, Gibbons, Hussey, and Wilson should create a few chances per 90 between them. There are three clear goal threats in the side and we would be more set up to get crosses into the box for Proctor. We're destined to be a functional side rather than an exciting one, which is fine as Northampton and Tranmere show, but we've got to start scoring more than once a game.

It won't happen - we seem too entrenched in 352/343. I still think we can finish 6th/7th but I'm not convinced we can beat any of the current playoff teams in high-stakes games if we don't improve dramatically.

The main disappointing thing is only 2 new signings are in my ideal 11 right now. I get it is hard to come into a team mid-season and impact consistently, but in a promotion push that is what was needed, especially with the departures of Cass and Politic. Unfortunately, 6 of the 8 signings don't seem to be ready to improve us now, which leaves me questioning the purpose of their signing - considering only half were loans and therefore not long-term 'project' buys.

Just now, 1 said:

If we don’t bring Charsley in now, I seriously wonder what the point of buying him was. Isn’t he supposed to be someone who can create something? So why not put him in and see if he can be the link we do obviously miss in the middle.

I don’t think we will do anything other than 532 for the rest of the season win, lose or draw, but 433 for the next 3 games for me. Give it time to bed in.

If you read what Mansfield fans say, he reads like Garrity 2.0 - hard-working, has a goal in him, but technically not great. I do question Flitcroft's relationship with Mansfield considering Benning and Stone have not exactly been 'hits'.

After watching the other night apart from the  creativity we won virtually every second ball bar the last minute giveaway so my team is as follows they will play with one up front so no point having 3 defenders back there were at home create space and have more attacking intent on .

Holy 

Hall 

Gibbons Pett Garrity Hussey 

Worrall                Amoo 

Wilson

Proctor Edmondson 

That's my team real intent very few defensive players on .

Up and at them no messing .

Play to win from first kick and even at 2-0 up play like you still after that first goal. 

UTV 

Surely now high time to "revert back" to actually attacking opponents from the start? Let them worry about our formation and tactics. Where has the Vale from earlier season gone? Got to get out of this mentality of" not losing" and show what we have got. Draws now simply are inadequate for reaching g the play offs. 3 points and a concerted team effort from all squad members is a must to restore belief again in Valiants hearts. There is time yet for us to click collectively and have a bloody good run at promotion.UTV.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Feel free to ignore this lengthy post, just getting thoughts out

There's a few issues which I've been thinking about. We had a successful style of play early on which we seem to be trying to replicate. This isn't happening because:

1. Whilst wing-backs worked for us earlier in the season, the loss of Cass has really hurt the system. His ability to either underlap or overlap created a lot of problems on the flanks, leading to cutbacks and a lot of our goals. In addition, Hussey isn't the type to 'get behind' the opposition, which was important to how we played.

2. We have to accept the fact that if we don't play Lucas, we can't press anywhere near as high. You can't trust Stone on Stilts to sweep.

3. We have a real creativity issue in the absence of Conlon, Politic, in-form Worrall, and wide CBs who are comfortable on the ball.

There's a reason our goals and results have dipped hugely. I don't think we can replicate the early season approach, despite our trying. We need to re-evaluate.

I'd look at this sort of team:

Lucas

Gibbons Hall Smith Hussey

Pett Garrity

Amoo Wilson Worrall

Proctor

Wilson is a number 10 and nothing else, and even then he's not a consistent player. However, when on the ball in central areas he does have the ability to beat players. We need more balls into dangerous areas which Worrall provides by pure volume of crossing, and Amoo provides by getting behind his man when played on his favoured right (Amoo on the left is pointless as he has to cut back, wasting his pace).

This would suit Hussey a bit more as a full-back who supports, rather than finishes, attacking moves. I don't like Garrity sitting deep at all, and remain convinced his future is as a forward/number 10, but his goal threat and work-rate make him undroppable. 

We can press high with a very hard-working, energetic team, with Lucas able to sweep. The centre-backs have no pressure to create anything. Worrall, Amoo, Gibbons, Hussey, and Wilson should create a few chances per 90 between them. There are three clear goal threats in the side and we would be more set up to get crosses into the box for Proctor. We're destined to be a functional side rather than an exciting one, which is fine as Northampton and Tranmere show, but we've got to start scoring more than once a game.

It won't happen - we seem too entrenched in 352/343. I still think we can finish 6th/7th but I'm not convinced we can beat any of the current playoff teams in high-stakes games if we don't improve dramatically.

The main disappointing thing is only 2 new signings are in my ideal 11 right now. I get it is hard to come into a team mid-season and impact consistently, but in a promotion push that is what was needed, especially with the departures of Cass and Politic. Unfortunately, 6 of the 8 signings don't seem to be ready to improve us now, which leaves me questioning the purpose of their signing - considering only half were loans and therefore not long-term 'project' buys.

Good post.

In short, I think Jones could be that overlapping CB that you talk about and I especially think him and Hussey could work well down that left hand side.

I don't think we should be leaving out a fully fit Brad Walker when we're talking about not being able to unlock teams. We just move him forward.

The team posted by Mellor earlier in the thread is how we should approach this, with Gibbo, Hussey and Jones attacking more than they defend, Garrity supporting the front two and Walker and Pett adding quality in the middle. If it doesn't work, then we have Amoo, Wozza, Cooper, Edmo and Harratt on the bench.

Already panicking here that well dominate a dour game before getting sucker-punched 1-0; it is Stevenage after all! Might help give the place a lift if Darrell was back: I don't know his situation though and whether it might be the case. What's happened to Jones; out of favour, out of form, or a problem? For me on Saturday it would be:

Holy GK

Gibbo RB with some interchange with Wozza

Hussey LWB with some interchange with Jones

Smudger RCB

Hall CB

Jones LCB with some interchange with Hussey

Wozza RW\RM with some interchange with Gibbo

Conlon L\CM (if fit)

Garrity R\CM with some interchange with Wilson

Wilson IF ith some interchange with Garrity

Procter CF

System: fluid 4-4-2