onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Where are the goals coming from? Bristol Rovers put 4 goals in the Stevenage net while we struggled at Rochdale, Stevenage have failed to score in 4 of their last 5 games. Maybe things will be different on a Saturday unlike a lethargic Tuesday. Wishful thinking that Conlon will be on the bench, hopefully Gibbons and Amoo will be on the pitch. Come on Vale, pick yourselves up, pull together and show what you can do. 3-0.

Advert

If we don't go for the kill from the first minute against a side who is low on confidence and got hammered last time out, then I despair. 

None of this 'let's stay in the game for 60 mins and then have a go' nonsense. It's Stevenage at home and we're trying to get promoted. 

Time to mention we've never beaten these at home in a league tie? 

Early goal crucial and its must win, we have to go out there and really do a job on them. They dont exactly play the Westley style anymore in terms of a spoiling tactic so need to try and turn the screw and put in a big performance.

Covolan in for Holy 

Jones in for Cooper, moving Walker back to the middle (unless TC is fit) Gibbons and Hussey wing backs 3-5-2. Go back to the tried and tested formula that worked early season now most players are back.

Attack them from the off. 

Im guessing it will still be a back 3/5 so I’d go

Stone 

Worrall Gibbons Hall Jones Hussey 

Pett Garrity      

Wilson      Proctor    Amoo 

Harsh on Smith. But against a poor side at home if we’re playing a back 5 I want the RCB and LCB attacking like Cass and Jones did before. Pett and Garrity in the middle is probably a bit light but again I want us to attack these and I’m not convinced Walker is needed against poor sides especially at home.  Stone for me in nets. Didn’t think he deserved to be dropped, better than Holy and Cov is just too much of a liability for me. 

Covolan

Gibbo          Hall       Jones 

Worrall         Pett       Garrity      Hussey

Wilson

Proctor        Amoo

Subs: Holy, Smith, Walker, Charsley, Cooper, Harratt, Edmondson

Covolan in for Holy - he's the better goalkeeper, despite his madness. He commands a higher line which contributes more effectively towards our style of play.

Worrall in for Smith - Put Gibbo in RCB, which will allow us to return to a similar back three which got us success at the start of the season. 

Jones in for Walker - Push Hall into CB, which allows Jones to return into LCB. 

Amoo in for Cooper - Push Amooo up top with Proctor and have Wilson pulling the strings behind. 

Vale 2 - 0 Stevenage - Wilson, Hall

Cov

Smith Hall Jones

Worrall Pett Walker Garrity Hussey

Proctor Wilson

let’s not rush Gibbons, Wozzer’s had a mini break.

Bring back Cov, mad as a box of frogs but his distribution is the best we’ve got and him and Stone are actually ours.

toss up between Jones and Martin for me but with Walker holding I think we can go with Jones against this opposition. They’ll be trying to keep it ultra tight, smarting from a tonking midweek.

on the hour mark if needs be bring on Gibbo for Worrall and Charsley for Walker if we still need a goal.

let go of this “see the game out” milarky we need a two goal lead going into the final stages.

Back to 532/352 for me. Don't really think 343 has suited us offensively over the last couple of games. The strikers are too far away from each other. Get Wilson and Proctor closer to each other. Also, the formation (352) where we've had the most success this season.

Also, can we try a bit harder  in getting crosses into the box both during open play and set pieces, instead of trying to play through at least 8 men. Just a thought as we have scored our last 2 goals from crosses.

For me:

Holy

Smith.                  Walker.            Hall

Gibbo.                   Charsley.              Pett.                Hussey

Garritty

Proctor.                Wilson

I wouldn't tinker with the back 3 as they've played well in the last few games.

Back to 532/352 for me. Don't really think 343 has suited us offensively over the last couple of games. The strikers are too far away from each other. Get Wilson and Proctor closer to each other. Also, the formation (352) where we've had the most success this season.
Also, can we try a bit harder  in getting crosses into the box both during open play and set pieces, instead of trying to play through at least 8 men. Just a thought as we have scored our last 2 goals from crosses.
For me:
                                               Holy
                  Smith.                  Walker.            Hall
Gibbo.                   Charsley.              Pett.                Hussey
                                           Garritty
                             Proctor.                Wilson
I wouldn't tinker with the back 3 as they've played well in the last few games.
Whose Holy Walker ??...

5 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Exactly this..... Wasn't it Winston Churchill (!!) who said "Never in the history of football has a goal been scored without the ball going into the penalty area."  Maybe not, but the sentiment remains true.                Get it in the box !

Archived