onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

45 minutes ago, toyahw said:

It was a lame effort. Shoot me down. Very poor against a very poor side. Two points chucked down the drain against very poor opposition.

That was not the performance of a side going for promotion.

It was a performance where i think we were happy keep the ball without trying to bust a gut and kill the game off. This was against an awful side and they were there for the taking. Id imagine any of the top 6 tonight would of beaten them comfortable tonight. We just have not seemed to create a spark in any of these last 5/6 games and thats proving with us not scoring enough goals. These next four games are huge but i doubt anything will change soon where we go out and we create lots of chances we just havent got the players. Hugely disappointed tonight.

Advert

The more I see us play 3-4-3 the more I think it doesn’t suit us and the more I think conlon is vital to how we play.

I think 3-4-3 stifles wingbacks, I don’t think they have the same space because they have a man in front of them.  One of the most obvious things last night (because it was right in front of us away fans) was whenever the ball got worked wide to gibbo often he had absolutely no options on at all and so had to go backwards or inside to Pett. Neither proctor or Wilson were showing to feet to try and work those little triangles to get gibbo in behind. I think if we stick to 3-4-3 then we need Worrall in front of gibbo. On the other side cooper really struggled to make something happen, he would show for hussey but just didn’t have the strength or skill to do something and equally hussey can’t overlap or go behind because there’s no room. When conlon plays and we play 3-5-2 he was always the focal point for a wingback to then work the ball to him and then get the ball to a forwards feet and play behind. We don’t have that currently in a 3-4-3 and as a result neither gibbo or hussey could be effective going forward. I think that’s a massive reason why we look a bit disjointed in the final third and are just playing the ball sideways with no real penetration. 

I think we need to find a way of going back to 3-5-2 and to allow a midfielder the licence to get forward to work with the forwards and wingbacks. Who that player should be is another question. 

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

We couldn't keep our <ovf censored> together to beat a shockingly bad team. Totally awful performance. This team are going nowhere.  No <ovf censored>, total bunch of quitters.  

We're all doomed!

Tell me who quit? Name the quitters? 

There's only one quitter I can see.

6 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

We're all doomed!

Tell me who quit? Name the quitters? 

There's only one quitter I can see.

Did you go and payed your hard earned cash to get behind the team or did you stay at home and watched it on I play in your front room cos if you went you wouldn’t be so sarcastic cos yet agen it was crap 

8 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Did you go and payed your hard earned cash to get behind the team or did you stay at home and watched it on I play in your front room cos if you went you wouldn’t be so sarcastic cos yet agen it was crap 

Yes I did go. The result was disappointing, the car was akin to a morgue on the way home. We still have a chance of the play offs. I have seen us play much worse and win. The disappointment comes because we were so close to winning that game. If that last minute goal hadn't gone in would you still be saying it was crap?

I am a Vale supporter and that's what I'll do-support them. 

It hurts more when you let a game slip so late and you have actually attended. I get it, the cost, cold, sacrifice and you feel so much more invested.

However the facts are the performance wasn’t that bad other than not taking some of the second half chances.

We have played much worse and won this season and we will again.

Do we have enough for the playoffs ? We aren’t miles off it. Fully fit proctor / gibbons / conlon for the last 10/12 games. We might just do it.

Why is the season over as many have said on here because of a draw away from home ? Just because of the lateness of their equaliser.

Lose Saturday and I might re access our chances !

3 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

Yes I did go. The result was disappointing, the car was akin to a morgue on the way home. We still have a chance of the play offs. I have seen us play much worse and win. The disappointment comes because we were so close to winning that game. If that last minute goal hadn't gone in would you still be saying it was crap?

I am a Vale supporter and that's what I'll do-support them. 

I would of been delighted with the 3 points but that would paper over the performance we created very little against a really poor side and most people could see what was going happen in the last 10 minutes you’ve got to beat teams like that and Stevenage but I ain’t optimistic about Saturday either it’s just ain’t good enough 

We've won 2 of our last 11 league games I think.  Scunthorpe and Carlisle!!! 

Saturday no walk in the park either.  

I came away last night more gutted than at Sutton. Momentum is huge in football.  Bristol Rovers Exeter and still Mansfield have it in abundance.  

That's twice now Sutton and Rochdale which has followed euphoria v Orient and Tranmere. Gutting. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

We've won 2 of our last 11 league games I think.  Scunthorpe and Carlisle!!!  

And yet some on here are pleased because we got draws against FGR, Northampton and Tranmere (two of which were home games) and think that we’re bound to pull 10 wins out on remaining 16 to catapult ourselves into the PLAY-OFFS (yes, it’ll be more like 13 out of 16 for the autos) “when all our players are back” (we’re only missing Conlon now aren’t we?). Yes, we saw we can conjure up this type of sequence as we saw last year, but a) performances / style don’t suggest this is likely b) we’ve got some of the “better” teams who do have momentum to come (Brizzle, Mansfield, Exeter) and lastly c) we ALWAYS struggle against the “scrappers” this time of year e.g. the Oldham’s and Stevenage’s etc and WILL drop points against these teams if set up how we are doing. Whilst the play-offs will still be a disappointment (albeit acceptable) I’ll go on record to say won’t win them. So, as has been blatantly obvious for a while, we’re set for yet another season in the bottom tier of the Football League, trying to get out of what will be a much more competitive league and arguably without the spine (Gibbo, Conlon, Smith? etc). Hence we might as well throw all our chips in and just go for it now, a bit like last year.

Bit of a juxtaposition last night, I’m away in the moment so was relying on my Flashscore app, 94 mins on Saturday felt like a win, same time last night felt like a defeat…. I realistically think the play offs are slipping away but football is a funny old game, plenty of points to play for… but for the majority of the last 4 seasons we have been scrapping at the other end of the table league 2 has been very competitive this season with 8-9 teams with a realistic chance of promotion and doesn’t look like getting any easier next season, but I will still be making my pilgrimage when I can…. VTID.

Archived