Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

Vale didn't play well but did enough to win that game. Rochdale were there for the taking and an absolute sickener to concede like that.

For me Vale's central midfield doesn't have the required balance at the moment.  John Askey more than likely would have got Vale into the play-offs in 2019/20 with a midfield of Conlon or Burgess/Joyce/Jake Taylor, a midfield in which everyone was comfortable on the ball, was organized and could defend, looked to get forward if possible, was creative with tons of guile.

Sadly DC and Crosby have been robbed of Conlon and Taylor and until one or both are back Vale will struggle to win enough games to get to the play-offs. Even Lge 2 games aren't won with endeavor alone and with the the central midfield mostly passing the ball backwards.

• Like 2

Advert:

We’ve basically sellotaped two points to a frisbee and flung it as far as possible into the sea.

I’ve seen some poor teams in my time but Rochdale’s was as bad a team performance as I’ve seen in a very long time. Their left back looked like he won a raffle.  A good 17 or 18 teams in this league would have gone on to get a second goal and kill the game quite comfortably.

To not be bothered to get out of second gear and create next to nothing against a team so that were there for the taking that they were practically bent over, is criminal. 

Edited by Santa
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

That’s why I got lambasted on Saturday for saying I felt it was ‘must-win’. The 6-pointers against the top 3 protagonists are so important if we want to be in the mix. Ok we draw against all three, but we might as well have gone for it against FGR who are too far clear (instead we did absolutely nothing 2nd half) and maybe Northampton and we might have won one and lost one, so wouldn’t have been in any worse a position going into Tranmere. Draws are absolutely no use whatsoever now, I really cannot understand the mentally of being defensive when we simply cannot keep clean sheets.

Far better to not score Saturday and lose and score a second one tonight and win

• Thanks 1

Better side throughout especially second half to concede a goal against a side who deserved nothing was a sickened however a points point better than nothing .

Wilson needs take his chance then its game over there equaliser well did wethink the game was over very poor goal giveaway  

UTV 

• Like 1

Advert:

11 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

It’s a comment I don’t like seeing, sorry if hate seems strong but it frustrates me when fans come out with ‘you do better then’ it’s not our job to do that. 

I understand your frustration, we’re all the same , perhaps some realism should be accepted though . 
You may not think it’s ‘your job’ but you certainly have a go at it each week and seem to think it’s your job to criticise every little thing that doesn’t go your way . 

I’ll say again , we’re following a League 2 Club , frustration is a given and nothing is guaranteed, ask the many ex League Clubs now out of the League , they’d swap us in a second . 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Thinking positively it's progress to be challenging for the play offs rather than trying to stay in the football league.

I just feel that our owners deserve far better than just trying to get in the playoffs.

Also the fans deserve better than what league we are in and how bad weve bad for years. Shes put her money in and she wouldve been hoping for promotion. That doesnt look like it will happen this season. Tonight is a massive blow to the play off hopes. I still cant believe we didnbt go for it a bit more and score the second killer goal. Yes we had a couple of chances but they were that bad any other team tonight wouldve beat them comfortable. 

• Like 1

It’s not about Wilson’s miss, it’s more about all the chances we didn’t create due to approaching the match in completely the wrong way.

We might as well give up on the idea of getting in the play offs if we don’t have the cojones to play those sort of matches properly. A decent side doesn’t come away from that sort of situation with a hard luck story. F F S 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Santa said:

It’s not about Wilson’s miss, it’s more about all the chances we didn’t create due to approaching the match in completely the wrong way.

We might as well give up on the idea of getting in the play offs if we don’t have the cojones to play those sort of matches properly. A decent side doesn’t come away from that sort of situation with a hard luck story. F F S 

Exactly. 

Advert:

15 minutes ago, ValeGez said:

I understand your frustration, we’re all the same , perhaps some realism should be accepted though . 
You may not think it’s ‘your job’ but you certainly have a go at it each week and seem to think it’s your job to criticise every little thing that doesn’t go your way . 

I’ll say again , we’re following a League 2 Club , frustration is a given and nothing is guaranteed, ask the many ex League Clubs now out of the League , they’d swap us in a second . 

With all due respect that’s the idea of a football forum. I wouldn’t post on here if I didn’t want to discuss the vale. Every little thing? Fans can criticise, since your so up to date with what I post I imagine that you’ve noticed I didn’t post any negativity or criticisms for the early part of the season. I have criticised where I think it’s due. We are currently a league 2 club. We shouldn’t be. Yes it’s frustrating another 6 years stuck in this division which some have just come to accept as normality. There’s a hell of a lot of clubs at the end of that spectrum that we would swap places with in a second. Sadly, one thing that does seem guaranteed is us in league 2 season after season. Even the more disappointing if it happens again this season given the investment and fantastic start. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Santa said:

Spot on 

Looking on the flip side, we have absolutely no reason to be negative now. We are not in any danger of going down so you might as well just go for it, let the breaks off, and see where it takes us. Hey, we might even start entertaining people again? How many halves of football have we had recently where the keepers not even got his gloves dirty? Far too many for a supposed ‘promotion chasing side’. We’re out of the play-offs as it stands, miles of the auto and drawing 1-1 with the likes of Rochdale ain’t taking us very far that’s for sure, so come on, throw caution out of the window and let’s just go for it! 

Edited by Biddulph_PV
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Santa said:

How far is Tom Conlon from a return? Because we badly needed his drive tonight. We're a shadow of the side that got to 2nd in the table before all the injuries and the Covid layoff.

Advert:

I don't think Conlon is a saviour. He's been pretty average this season. A bit more organization would help. What was that with Gibbo? He had the shits right?  Then don't play him!  We are not short of options at RB.

• Like 1

Everything is just so safe at the moment always playing the bog standard percentage ball. The commitment is there . The effort is there but wheres the ones that are going to stand up and take a hold of a game and attempt to make something happen. I see so many of them just laying off the simple balls rather than take a chance and trying to play someone through. We look a good team until we cross the halfway line its like nobody knows what to do with it 

• Like 1

Only 4 more points and we're safe for another season. This dire football is hardly going to build any momentum and sell season tickets. We look like a plodding mid table side and have done since November

January window shows we don't have the financial clout to push us on. Good job we had a decent start otherwise we may have been dragged into a scrap at the bottom. 18 points from the last 15 league games.

• Like 1