onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

People say to me he has the best football brain in our league maybe he has but in our league you have to have passion and work rate a little skill always help of course it does.

Funny you should say that as I think the opposite. He has all of the skill in the world but doesn't have a football brain. He is always on his heels, not anticipating when the ball will come his way. It is such a shame because if he did read the game better he would be an outstanding player playing much higher up the pyramid.

Advert

39 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Our goal difference is 1 better than Northampton and only 1 worse than Tranmere

There are stats for absolutely everything. Look at a league table and points are all that matter, first and foremost. Very rarely does it go beyond the points total.

Win 1 0 - three points

Lose 4 3 - nil points

16 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

There are stats for absolutely everything. Look at a league table and points are all that matter, first and foremost. Very rarely does it go beyond the points total.

Win 1 0 - three points

Lose 4 3 - nil points

You were the one that said we had to consider goals for and goals against when considering the vital importance of a goal scorer.

I just quoted the GD numbers 

Also… The scenarios you lay around winning 1-0 vs losing 4-3 would be an argument against getting a goal scorer and for building a well drilled hard to break down team.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree it would be nice to have one… but both arguments you have made so far seem to agree that you don’t NEED one.

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Don't worry. This is a "project". Give it ten years then discuss.

Vs… hey everyone if it doesn’t work immediately let’s all moan our sacks off and turn everyone against something that building for a better future.

Silly post … we all the know the extremes are a bad approach.

Im suggesting that demanding success first full season is an extreme.

7 hours ago, Wrex said:

I think Covolan is just another case of a player being seen as a world beater once he is not playing. If he remains sidelined until the end of the season that would be fine with me

Agreed. His kicking and ball distribution were not great either. His strength was he was good at saves. However his temperament and ability to handle pressure was not good enough. 

He wasn’t a bad keeper, far from it but he deserved to be dropped. 

Holy is the sort of solid shot stopper who will get games at league 1 and 2 level because he seems solid.

In fact, Holy, with more than 150 games at league 1 level or above, he has played more games at these higher levels than any other player in our squad. 

He would not have achieved that being poor. 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

You were the one that said we had to consider goals for and goals against when considering the vital importance of a goal scorer.

I just quoted the GD numbers 

Also… The scenarios you lay around winning 1-0 vs losing 4-3 would be an argument against getting a goal scorer and for building a well drilled hard to break down team.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree it would be nice to have one… but both arguments you have made so far seem to agree that you don’t NEED one.

Goals for - we dont score enough and Goals against we always seem to have a mistake in us and do conceed goals. Goal difference doesnt always  tell the whole story

I said that we dont kill teams off with a second / third goal. Add to that we are not the best defensively and do often concede goals.

We need more goals.

i said with our squad of midfield players there are not enough goals in them.

We rely too heavily on the front two and to be successful the front two would need to score 30 goals between them

19 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Goals for - we dont score enough and Goals against we always seem to have a mistake in us and do conceed goals. Goal difference doesnt always  tell the whole story

I said that we dont kill teams off with a second / third goal. Add to that we are not the best defensively and do often concede goals.

We need more goals.

i said with our squad of midfield players there are not enough goals in them.

We rely too heavily on the front two and to be successful the front two would need to score 30 goals between them

Only 7 teams have scored more than us 

Only 5 teams have conceded less than us

24 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Wow 

Why even comment 

It's a project. Give it ten years.  Let's see where we are then.  Ten plus years of mis management aren't changed around over night.  This season looks like it may be headed for disappointment.  Hope not. Not sure what the problem is with that opinion. 

25 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Only 7 teams have scored more than us 

Only 5 teams have conceded less than us

The majority of those goals were scores in a 2 month spell when we were playing well and not playing negatively.  Since January, we have played 9 league games and scored 8 goals, not sure how many teams have scored less in that time.  The worry for me is that we are not creating much at all from open play, if we were missing loads of chances, I would think we might get back on track and challenge but I don't see it.  Until the last 10 minutes last night what other chances did we create, Saturday 2 chances in the game, Northampton next to none.  Something has got to change, for me it would be changing the formation on Saturday although I know it won't happen.

8 hours ago, robf said:

I'm not entirely convinced about the "Holy to blame" angle. To me, it looks like a great finish, right in the corner. It would have taken a world class save to stop it - to me, there's no shame in that beating you as a keeper. 

I also do think that players out of the team suddenly get their reputation enhanced for some reason. Much as Lucas Covolan seems a nice guy, he's arguably lost us two games through dismissals. That's far more worrying to me than Holy not pulling off a couple of world class saves when the opposition score. 

I'd rather have a steady but not spectacular performance (i.e. Holy) then the odd spectacular moment and quite a lot of chaos (Covolan). I'm sure the Vale defenders will think the same too. In the games I've seen, Holy particularly impressed with his aerial ability in and around the box, plucking the ball out of the air - something that Covolan sometimes fluffed. 

I'm perhaps being harsh on Lucas as he did have good spells as well - but I do think the key attribute a keeper needs to bring is that the defence can trust him and with Cov's erratic performances, I don't think the Vale defence could ever be 100% sure of what he would do next. 

Agree with this Rob… for anyone claiming Cov would have saved that shot last night, maybe go back and look at the Walsall goal. It’s very similar! 

Archived