onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

26 minutes ago, Emile said:

2 points per game and we're in the playoffs still I believe.

Love your optimism of getting 2 points per game.  At the moment feel we are only going to get 1 point per game (if that) after last nights performance and other recent performances, I am beginning to feel we just aren't capable to putting a team down when we have most of the play.  Last night we had most of the play and forcing errors out of them in the first half, but could not score that all important 2nd goal in the 2nd half.  If we had scored that 2nd goal, then they would have collapsed and the floodgates opened. 

We will no doubt finish 9 or 10th at this rate.  Some would say this is a solid improvement on relegation fights we have all experienced, but the team have shown they are capable of more and teased the fans with fantastic play.  We know if it all clicks they are brilliant, hence why the players are not in Premier or Championship level as it doesn't happen all the time.

Rochdale were willing to pass the ball from their penalty area and when Vale players put them under pressure they made mistakes - but we did not really take our chances to score (again).  Then they scored with their only real chance due to another error by the players late in the game.  Felt sorry for the travelling fans seeing that happen.  Felt like a defeat last night, bet they must have been totally gutted travelling home after singing their hearts out during the match and trying to be the 12th man on the pitch.  

Could not understand why the players started to sit back last night and protect the 1 goal lead.  We know through experience this is a very dangerous thing to do, god knows how many points we have lost due to this tactic.  We always seem better when we pressure teams right up to the final whistle.

Others are saying we are playing some of the lower league teams and will take 3 points off them.  But we all know what happens when Vale play them, we seem to struggle and just can't score and take the 3 points off them.

Come on Vale prove me and others wrong for thinking this way.  We know your more than capable of winning the games.

Advert

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Average of 72.5 needed to finish 7th over the last 6 full seasons.

Leaves us needing 27 points from our last 16. We need to win 9+ of our last 16 games (or the equivalent, so 8 wins 3 draws), which is quite a tall order considering we've only won 4 of our last 15 and can't score more than 1 per 90.

And this is only to finish 7th.

3rd is an average of 83. We'd need 37 points from 16, or to win 12+ of our last 16.

We've completely bottled autos and have left a very narrow path to 7th (which only brings a 1 in 4 chance of promotion).

Its us or Sutton for 7th, unless Bristol keep going strong

2 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Love your optimism of getting 2 points per game.  At the moment feel we are only going to get 1 point per game (if that) after last nights performance and other recent performances, I am beginning to feel we just aren't capable to putting a team down when we have most of the play.  Last night we had most of the play and forcing errors out of them in the first half, but could not score that all important 2nd goal in the 2nd half.  If we had scored that 2nd goal, then they would have collapsed and the floodgates opened. 

We will no doubt finish 9 or 10th at this rate.  Some would say this is a solid improvement on relegation fights we have all experienced, but the team have shown they are capable of more and teased the fans with fantastic play.  We know if it all clicks they are brilliant, hence why the players are not in Premier or Championship level as it doesn't happen all the time.

Rochdale were willing to pass the ball from their penalty area and when Vale players put them under pressure they made mistakes - but we did not really take our chances to score (again).  Then they scored with their only real chance due to another error by the players late in the game.  Felt sorry for the travelling fans seeing that happen.  Felt like a defeat last night, bet they must have been totally gutted travelling home after singing their hearts out during the match and trying to be the 12th man on the pitch.  

Could not understand why the players started to sit back last night and protect the 1 goal lead.  We know through experience this is a very dangerous thing to do, god knows how many points we have lost due to this tactic.  We always seem better when we pressure teams right up to the final whistle.

Others are saying we are playing some of the lower league teams and will take 3 points off them.  But we all know what happens when Vale play them, we seem to struggle and just can't score and take the 3 points off them.

Come on Vale prove me and others wrong for thinking this way.  We know your more than capable of winning the games.

Agree with all the above, I would just add its all well and good to set up not to loose but eventually you have to start setting up to win and believe in yourselves, i.e Forest Green / Carlisle performances spring to mind.. 

ps. to cap the night off, the journey home apart from the loss took twice as long as to go with motorway closures etc.

10 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Errrr… yeah exactly!

I mean it would be pretty stupid to judge the new set up based on the 4 and a half years that it wasn’t here wouldnt it?

Well we still have our best players from the previous set up???? Didn’t know the new set up signing the likes of Conlon and gibbons? 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Well we still have our best players from the previous set up???? Didn’t know the new set up signing the likes of Conlon and gibbons? 

Not really sure how to respond to this one.

So we should judge DC and Flickers whole new approach to how port vale football club is run and their project based on the years BEFORE they got here because some of the players are the same?

I must be missing something because that’s clearly nonsense. 

Saturday felt like a win, last night felt like a defeat. It's lovely to keep the unbeaten run going, but I'd rather have won one and lost one than drawn two.

We've turned the corner since the bleak mid-winter, but we're drawing far too many games. We're still setting up 'not to lose' rather than 'win' and that leaves you open to throwing away points in games like last night. At this point, I'd much rather finish 12th losing 3-2 most weeks than finish 9th because we're too scared to go and destroy teams. It was almost like it was too easy last night and we couldn't be arsed to finish them off.

I thought before last night we needed a minimum of 10 points from the next 5 games. So, that makes it 9 from the next 4 - so we need to win both home games and one of the away games. 

Then we go into the final 12 matches - 7 of which are against teams who will still fancy their chances of finishing in the top 7. Potentially seven six-pointers. 

I've given up on finishing 3rd, but I'll still be incredibly disappointed if we don't finish in the top 7. 

Let's go for the kill from the off on Saturday and give Stevenage a good hammering.

45 minutes ago, MBE said:

I heard this too he could be away until the summer, which is very fair considering.
If this is the case why is Flitcroft not managing the team?

I don’t get it.

I think with this new structure, Carol has also created very clear lines on responsibilities and Flitcroft's isn't being a coach, his role is hands off with the players once they are through the door, to change that and bring him in, in that capacity wouldn't make sense. 

In Crosby, you have someone who has worked with these players pretty much every day this season, to bring Flitcroft in would create even more change to routine than is necessary.

I am one of the neutrals when it comes to where we finish this season. We're unbeaten in 7, if we win on Saturday the mood will change again to optimism amongst the fans that have written the team off this morning. That's how this season has gone. You will never have a season where everything will be in your favour, but I think injuries, a COVID break that we seem to have suffered the most with, Clarke's leave, games being postponed on top of the COVID break creating more mid-week games, less rest for players, collectively have had a big impact on our season and none of it was in our control. All the postponements have been at away grounds too. And I'm sure other clubs have suffered from some of the above but I'm pretty certain not all of them and nowhere to the extent we have experienced. 

I'm also sympathetic that people spend a lot of money to follow Vale around the grounds and midweek games are especially hard to get to so I understand that the 800+ that went last night have every right to feel disappointed coming away from a game that should have been wrapped up. But like I said above, a win last night and there would have been plenty of play off talk and I don't think the margin at the end of the season is going to be these 2 points.

Lucas, along with Benning, was sitting half a dozen seats away from me in the main stand at Tranmere. He should at least have been on the bench, as he is the best keeper at the club. He is prone to the odd rush of blood, maybe it's a Brazilian thing, look at Allison, he does the odd crazy thing but is still arguably the best keeper in the Prem. Didn't Gibbo say a while back, that the reason that Vale could press so high was due to Lucas.

I think people are entitled to be critical we have a squad capable of play offs, carol has backed the manager the manager has highlighted that we are aiming for the play offs . Yes there are reasons for it but we are underperforming at the moment and people are spending there hard earned cash to go and watch and support so people have every right to be critical of performances. From what ive seen over the last month or so is we arent up to the standard to get into the play offs. I think we are underachieving and games in hand mean nothing of we arent picking up three points from them. Just feel like we are set up so negatively and for what reason if we got at them yesterday we would of won 2/3:0. I dont mind losing or conceding if we are havinf a decent crack at it. But we just play so negatively its frustrating knowing what we are capable of. Just get after teams 

18 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Not really sure how to respond to this one.

So we should judge DC and Flickers whole new approach to how port vale football club is run and their project based on the years BEFORE they got here because some of the players are the same?

I must be missing something because that’s clearly nonsense. 

Of course yeah nonsense…. 

It’s fine. Signing loan players with barely any match time is clearly the way to go - it’s served us so well in the past and will clearly help us build and develop a squad for years to come. 

I want Lucas back now I think, i was furious after Swindon and if we had booted him out the club I would have said good riddance at the time but out of the emotion of that and the performances of Holy we need him back now. 

That goal should have been saved last night but his positioning was poor, few steps out seeing what was going to happen and reading the game and the angle is narrower and he makes the stop, didnt exactly close off the angle for the Tranmere goal either.

Problem is at the moment Lucas isn't even on the bench which suggests Stone would be the change if made at the moment.

1 minute ago, valefan16 said:

I want Lucas back now I think, i was furious after Swindon and if we had booted him out the club I would have said good riddance at the time but out of the emotion of that and the performances of Holy we need him back now. 

That goal should have been saved last night but his positioning was poor, few steps out seeing what was going to happen and reading the game and the angle is narrower and he makes the stop, didnt exactly close off the angle for the Tranmere goal either.

Problem is at the moment Lucas isn't even on the bench which suggests Stone would be the change if made at the moment.

I 100% would start lucas

Archived