onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, grand prix pants said:

This is spot on. I don’t think we’ll go up this year. But we shouldn’t go into meltdown if we don’t. This is a brand new squad and management team and it may take longer than one season.

I have a horrible feeling that a certain section of our fan base will press the self destruct button if they don’t get immediate success and ruin any chance of the club building a long term successful platform.

Sure if we lose 7 in a row and get dragged back into a relegation battle then we reassess, but to sl@g off what happening now because it’s not perfect immediately is a very very dangerous attitude.

Advert

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

We were playing catch up to get back into the top 7 before Clarke took leave but I do think his absence has grinded our season to a halt. Certainly not blaming anyone, I think the way the club has handled it has been pretty much perfect but it's such a big loss and it seems like he will be away for a considerable amount of time, I've heard it could be until the summer.

I want to emphasise, I'm not pointing fingers, this is completely out of anyone's control but I agree with IC above.

I heard this too he could be away until the summer, which is very fair considering.
If this is the case why is Flitcroft not managing the team?

I don’t get it.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Absolute sickener last night.

Have given myself a bit of time to digest. 

Lots of people angry and the old player bashing is starting in ernest on Twitter.

In a weird way that’s a bit of a positive… it’s nice to be angry that we can’t close out a promotion chance at our first time of asking rather than because we are about to fall out of the league.

Trying to be rational, the turnaround required was HUGE, and we have made great strides towards being where we want to be.

We looked brilliant earlier in the season and then a series of challenges came our way which have derailed us:

- an injury list that would have halted any club in the land

- pandemic cancelling games at a bad time and some bad luck meaning we are playing catch-up and have a horrific schedule

- and I fear that the awful news on DCs family will have a wide ranging impact on how things are run at the club for a while

This is a project, a long term one… either you buy into it and want to see it through or you don’t.

If you do, all I would suggest is to practice a bit of patience. 

All this may be correct but I said at the time, and stand by the view, that the January business left us weaker in forward/creative areas than we were before. There were too many gambles that needed to pay off immediately, and bar Hall and Hussey, they haven't.

Coincidentally (or not), our goals have dried up and we only score 1 a game (bar Carlisle), meaning the backline have to be perfect for the 90 if we want three points. 

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

All this may be correct but I said at the time, and stand by the view, that the January business left us weaker in forward/creative areas than we were before. There were too many gambles that needed to pay off immediately, and bar Hall and Hussey, they haven't.

I didn’t know that’s how you felt… you should have said 😂

One of the bigger fees paid in league 2 for a striker played last night for Rochdale. The Beesley money was used to buy Tavhon Campbell who was a prolific striker in the national league. He was utter dog dirt last night.

I really can't stand the disparaging of Vale fans who get disappointed when they are inevitably let down again. I don't think they're being too demanding at all to be frustrated at how we've fallen.

My experience is Vale fans are amongst the most accepting in the country. I've certainly seen that first-hand when liquidation was on the horizon.

I heard this too he could be away until the summer, which is very fair considering.
I don’t get it.
Is not Flitcroft part time and also involved in the family business? Also preparing for next season.

13 minutes ago, MBE said:

I don’t get it.

Because he is the DOF not part of the first team management team. 

That’s not how a DOF role works if it’s being done properly.

In the old days, the DOF was hanging over the managers head ready to replace him at the drop of a hat… it made for terrible dynamics.

The new modern version (think Brentford) has a wider remit and isn’t there as an alternative to the manager.

A DOF wouldn’t always step in when managers leave, their job isn’t first team day to day management and therefore Crosby will be better placed.

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I really can't stand the disparaging of Vale fans who get disappointed when they are inevitably let down again.

I can’t stand vale fans jumping up and down on vale players when things don’t go perfectly.

Twitter is a cesspool this morning. 

27 minutes ago, MBE said:

IC, To be honest  I think you’re making excuses (DC personal circumstances aside) rather than being rational.

The investment in the club(manager and back room staff) and the squad. the absolute bare minimum is play offs regardless where we have come from. Our squad 1-22 is as strong, if not stronger than anyone else in this league yet we are found wanting to date. Performances, which DC always talks about are just nowhere near good enough. It’s been a really bad 4 months (when we played)

I only hope last night was the final kick up the arse the group needed to demand more from each other in those key moments to turn it around.

Totally agree MBE if we don’t make the playoffs it can’t be regarded as a really good season 

22 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have a horrible feeling that a certain section of our fan base will press the self destruct button if they don’t get immediate success and ruin any chance of the club building a long term successful platform.

Sure if we lose 7 in a row and get dragged back into a relegation battle then we reassess, but to sl@g off what happening now because it’s not perfect immediately is a very very dangerous attitude.

It’s not immediate success. We have been in this division for 6 years. It will get more difficult next season sides like Stockport should fly. Granted it’s reasonably new with our structure but we still have arguably our best players at the club from the previous regime. 

If will be difficult to build a team when potentially the likes of Conlon and Gibbons leave in the summer. 

There’s nothing dangerous what so ever about rightly criticising a poor performance where we have thrown another 2 points away against the worst side we have faced this season.  We constantly get let down by vale, we’re more than in our rights to criticise / be disappointed - I’m sure it was DC who said play offs were the minimum this season. 

I thought we made drastic improvements in the summer. Some fantastic signings but I also think we have gone backwards since January, Hall and Hussey aside we look weaker. Nobody will ever convince me that signing two young lads to replace Rodney (granted poor this season) is the way to go.

I also find it interesting to see how we are actually building for the future? Looking at the signings. 

Edmondson, Harratt, Holy, Cooper. Are these all part of this development plan where we continue to build? We have ditched a young keeper who made 0 errors and is our player for one who imo looks worse and isn’t even our player. Cooper is no better than Hurst. And the two young lads are exactly that; young lads. Personally I fail to see how / where the development of this squad is / will be. Our best players in Conlon and Gibbons I’m pretty certain will leave in the summer and all the loan players leave. So we’re back to square 1, not to mention I’m guessing we will need another new keeper. Charlsley, another one, what was he signed for? Is he part of the future or is he to cover whilst Taylor and Conlon are out? The lad from Man City, strikes me as someone like Amos that we might not even see. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the summer window very similar to January with further mass changes. 

We’re not out of it yet, far from it. And as poor as I think we were last night I can’t see many sides actually beating us and we do still have games in hand, play offs are now the target which given our start and investment i find slightly disappointing. Let’s hope we improve and fast. jones and amoo back in for certain on Saturday. 

Archived