onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

54 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Short term maybe but not sure about that longer term.  He came across to the fans with the other players and, after the serious business of showing support for DC, looked to be all smiles.  Who knows.  We could perhaps see a complete change again next season.

You make a good point. I forgot he had a two year deal. I always thought he had only a 1 year deal which makes the loan of Holy make sense. 

As Covalan has a two year deal the total freezing out starts to make less sense. All that we end up doing is making him less match fit and more prone to errors if he returns? 

Advert

3 minutes ago, bomber said:

At the Northampton game a chap said I wonder if it’s a tactic not to press! It seems strange when we have had so much success when pressing teams that we suddenly stop doing it. It’s very frustrating watching the season slipping out of our grasp for the distinct lack of effort and energy.

I think it was… I think Northampton and Tranmere were more comfortable just going long over the top of the press. So it would have been way less effective.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

In my opinion both Stone and Covolan are better than Holy. 

they certainly seem almost interchangeable without much of a discernable difference - would go for Holy myself - we have been tight whilst he has been in, but if Lucas hadn't gone all Cantona against M*****y, he would probs still have the shirt - its a game of fine margins (and kungfu round kicks) 😁

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Play whatever formation you like and play with no tempo and the result will be the same.

They didn’t just sit back, they had plenty of the ball, certainly first half.  We spent a lot of the first half playing in the middle third knocking 2 passes where one would do.  The opposition has time to retreat, regroup, close the space.  Your formation isn’t such a factor then, it’s about moving the ball quickly to stretch the opposition and make space which can be exploited.

Possibly the pitch was a hindrance to slick passing last night, rough, but I’d still expect to see more movement and drive from our players than we’ve seen recently.

Which is why I think we ended up stifling ourselves with the formation. You can’t get a tempo going when your centre midfielders are just sitting in the middle without breaking lines or linking with wing backs or playing off the centre forward. Equally the wing backs can’t get anything going when they either have our own wide forward practically on their toes or they have no options in front of them to play off in triangles. Hence the ball kept sideways or backwards. That system relies on wingbacks, but it’s not Husseys or gibbos fault that they had nothing to help them. If we’re playing wing backs I think we have to go 3-5-2

I still can't believe that we didn't win the game. Garrity, Pett and Hall outstanding.

This isn't the best Vale side that I have ever seen, but I think that it is one of the hardest working and most will in to put the hard yards in.

My biggest concern is that we don't create enough chances and it always leaves us open to one mistake costing us. If we don't go up this season, a lack of creativity will be the only reason.

What their manager said:

‘Port Vale have got some really good players. I like them. A real physicality. We have nicked a point tonight when we probably didn’t deserve to. Vale will feel aggrieved they haven’t taken the three points. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good’. Honest words from Stockdale.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Absolute sickener last night.

Have given myself a bit of time to digest. 

Lots of people angry and the old player bashing is starting in ernest on Twitter.

In a weird way that’s a bit of a positive… it’s nice to be angry that we can’t close out a promotion chance at our first time of asking rather than because we are about to fall out of the league.

Trying to be rational, the turnaround required was HUGE, and we have made great strides towards being where we want to be.

We looked brilliant earlier in the season and then a series of challenges came our way which have derailed us:

- an injury list that would have halted any club in the land

- pandemic cancelling games at a bad time and some bad luck meaning we are playing catch-up and have a horrific schedule

- and I fear that the awful news on DCs family will have a wide ranging impact on how things are run at the club for a while

This is a project, a long term one… either you buy into it and want to see it through or you don’t.

If you do, all I would suggest is to practice a bit of patience. 

Very sound & sensible comments @ Iron Curtain.  You're absolutely spot-on with that rational analysis.  However, being fervent supporters, we are all going to feel frustrated when we drop 2 important points at the death as we did last night. But taking your advice & showing some patience, I do realise that we have made great strides forward this season.

10 minutes ago, Row L said:

I still can't believe that we didn't win the game. Garrity, Pett and Hall outstanding.

This isn't the best Vale side that I have ever seen, but I think that it is one of the hardest working and most will in to put the hard yards in.

My biggest concern is that we don't create enough chances and it always leaves us open to one mistake costing us. If we don't go up this season, a lack of creativity will be the only reason.

I agree, I believe we are really close to being a good side. Some people have complained of a lack of effort which I would dispute. I think on occasions we could be more incisive and could take the odd gamble with our wing play, I think Proctor back in the team is massive. I also can't blame the goalkeeper, he was beaten by two one on ones which certainly weren't glaring errors on his part. If ever there was a time to pull together and encourage our team it's now. Do we think we will have more or less chance of the play off's by employing derision and criticism? 

Fans matter, we do make a difference and I believe we have the most stable platform for success since the mid 1990's. 

Absolute sickener last night.

Have given myself a bit of time to digest. 

Lots of people angry and the old player bashing is starting in ernest on Twitter.

In a weird way that’s a bit of a positive… it’s nice to be angry that we can’t close out a promotion chance at our first time of asking rather than because we are about to fall out of the league.

Trying to be rational, the turnaround required was HUGE, and we have made great strides towards being where we want to be.

We looked brilliant earlier in the season and then a series of challenges came our way which have derailed us:

- pandemic cancelling games at a bad time and some bad luck meaning we are playing catch-up and have a horrific schedule

- and I fear that the awful news on DCs family will have a wide ranging impact on how things are run at the club for a while

This is a project, a long term one… either you buy into it and want to see it through or you don’t.

This is spot on. I don’t think we’ll go up this year. But we shouldn’t go into meltdown if we don’t. This is a brand new squad and management team and it may take longer than one season.

17 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

What their manager said:

‘Port Vale have got some really good players. I like them. A real physicality. We have nicked a point tonight when we probably didn’t deserve to. Vale will feel aggrieved they haven’t taken the three points. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good’. Honest words from Stockdale.

This.

Once again we're all sitting here slagging ourselves off.  Jesus guys - get a grip.

We were unlucky last night.  Thats all.

And those around and above us will have some bad luck in the coming months, too.

Keep the faith.

IC, To be honest  I think you’re making excuses (DC personal circumstances aside) rather than being rational.

The investment in the club(manager and back room staff) and the squad. the absolute bare minimum is play offs regardless where we have come from. Our squad 1-22 is as strong, if not stronger than anyone else in this league yet we are found wanting to date. Performances, which DC always talks about are just nowhere near good enough. It’s been a really bad 4 months (when we played)

I only hope last night was the final kick up the arse the group needed to demand more from each other in those key moments to turn it around.

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

We won’t be seeing Lucas ever again. It is clear he has been frozen out. 

Wasn't he on the bench at Tranmere...??  How is that being frozen out...??

I think he absolutely will play for us again and I hope he does.  If he's learned his lesson about his temperament he'll definitely play; he's head and shoulders our best keeper.  He commands the box better, he comes for the ball and claims it, he's a super shot-stopper, and he communicates well with the defence.  His kicking is excellent.

For me he's way better then Holy who, for a man of his size, should 100% control the box and have a safe pair of hands.  He dropped two or three last night and nearly gifted them a  goal.

I know Lucas has lost his head a couple of times; BUT DC and the rest will see him in training and talk to him regularly.  If there is one person who can get the best out of him its the manager. 

Archived