onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Rochdale v Port Vale

Fosse69

Difficult one this for me, seemingly a game we should win, and need to win to gain a bit of ground lost, but on the other hand need to be careful about rushing players back, (Gibbo, Proctor, Conlon), or indeed wearing players out (Worrall, Hussey, Garrity). Also think there are players that we're likely to need at some point in the run in due to injuries/suspensions who are in need of some minutes to get them up to speed, particularly Jones, Charsley and Robinson (we're defo missing Cass, so maybe time to start blooding his replacement now that the games against top 3 are out of the way?).

They tend to play with one central striker, so tempted to go with 4 at the back and more bodies in the middle of the park, with a couple of players given a rest to make sure they're fit for the rest of the games over the next few weeks:

Holy

Robinson   Smith      Hall      Jones

Walker

Garrity/Pett         Charsley

Wilson

Edmondson       Harratt/Amoo

Gibbo and Proctor to come on at half time for Robinson and Edmondson, in order to continue their recoveries (ahead of hopefully starting on Saturday), with Cooper, Woz and maybe Hussey as other options off the bench depending on situation in the game.    

Advert

3 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Difficult one this for me, seemingly a game we should win, and need to win to gain a bit of ground lost, but on the other hand need to be careful about rushing players back, (Gibbo, Proctor, Conlon), or indeed wearing players out (Worrall, Hussey, Garrity). Also think there are players that we're likely to need at some point in the run in due to injuries/suspensions who are in need of some minutes to get them up to speed, particularly Jones, Charsley and Robinson (we're defo missing Cass, so maybe time to start blooding his replacement now that the games against top 3 are out of the way?).

They tend to play with one central striker, so tempted to go with 4 at the back and more bodies in the middle of the park, with a couple of players given a rest to make sure they're fit for the rest of the games over the next few weeks:

Holy

Walker

Wilson

Gibbo and Proctor to come on at half time for Robinson and Edmondson, in order to continue their recoveries (ahead of hopefully starting on Saturday), with Cooper, Woz and maybe Hussey as other options off the bench depending on situation in the game.    

I totally get your point and it is valid. I just can't see how you can make up to 5 changes though and expect anything other than a disjointed performance.

It will be a skill in itself managing the game time. 

But for sure Charsley and Jones need to start featuring just as fresh legs. 

16 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I just can't see how you can make up to 5 changes though and expect anything other than a disjointed performance.

Can't argue with that, think it's bound to be, especially first 20mins or so. The question is, at what point is the gain from continuity outweighed by the drop in performance from those players, especially when playing 4 away games in the space of two weeks (Tranmere having been the first)?

I just think it might be worth sacrificing 45 minutes against a middling team for the longer-term benefit over the next few games. Plus that XI, even with a few players lacking match fitness, should still be at least good enough to compete and stay on terms with Rochdale until we bring a couple of our big guns on as 'finishers'.

No easy answers at this point in our fixture list, certainly no perfect solutions, but I genuinely believe the squad is strong enough to cope with a bit of change.

54 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Can't argue with that, think it's bound to be, especially first 20mins or so. The question is, at what point is the gain from continuity outweighed by the drop in performance from those players, especially when playing 4 away games in the space of two weeks (Tranmere having been the first)?

I just think it might be worth sacrificing 45 minutes against a middling team for the longer-term benefit over the next few games. Plus that XI, even with a few players lacking match fitness, should still be at least good enough to compete and stay on terms with Rochdale until we bring a couple of our big guns on as 'finishers'.

No easy answers at this point in our fixture list, certainly no perfect solutions, but I genuinely believe the squad is strong enough to cope with a bit of change.

He’s got to go with what he thinks is is strongest team , proctor has got to start we’ve got to start picking up 3 points in games 

2 hours ago, Clayts said:

Holy

Walker

Wilson

That's a very inventive line up in fact I like it heard very good things about Robinson he is a aggressive Trippier type I've heard who can play and join in  the right type of  player have with Gibbons or Worrall or Amoo or Cooper  in front of him so we can really threaten the opposition goal time after time .

I'd like a summary whoevers got time of goals scored when Cass has played we certainly played with more fluidity with his most excellent on the front foot efforts going forwards since he as left apart from Carlisle where there errors have given us 2 of the 3 goals wehave not scored anywhere near enough to get in top 3 .

Think Gibbons  Conlon and Robinson and Cooper can make a difference supplying ammunition to Proctor and Wilson and Edmondson and Harratt in closing 17 games of season .

Lots play for yet charsley can score also and more importantly keep the ball up the end where we are less likely concede .

So whoevers chosen tomorrow is more than capable of producing the goods .

In the home game after initial first 20 when we played as well as in the Rudge years we let there midfielder get on the ball too easily for my liking so let's  step on him immediately tomorrow and allow them no momentum whatsoever as they are a decent side  

See Bristol Rovers are only one point behind us Barton doing a great job there and I see J Sheridan as got Oldham going .

Tough end of seasons fixtures coming up if we are to be promoted every minute of every game now  we must be positive ,if we are i can see a Wembley game v Swindon and a resounding win 

UTV 

2 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

I tend to agree. Everybody keeps saying “lots of games to go”, “we just need a small run of victories” etc. But for every game we play, there are less game to go, and less games to close the defisit. I know it won’t be certain until the last game is played, but we need to turn the X’s into W’s soon

I’m starting to think like this too. We haven’t really started to gain ground on teams since we dropped out of the top 7. Sooner rather than later we need to go on a winning run. The next 4 games are massive.  Two points out of Northampton and Tranmere is only okay if we get a decent points haul from these next 4.

19 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Nonsense. 

TBF I sometimes thought he was unfairly maligned because his hair made him stand out (pink boots syndrome) but I think Garrity, Gibbo, Cass, Pett, even Conlon and Cov would be understandably aggrieved to have Jones in front of them. Oldham and Bradford spring to mind as particular stinkers for him. As I said, don't particularly mind him and think there's a good player in there but to say he's top 3 or even one of our better performers is way off.

I just don’t agree, I watch him and I don’t rate him very highly, especially when Gibbons took his place with his driving runs that put teams on the back foot and Jones gives the ball away too. UCLH and gets out of position regularly: luckily we won’t be selecting the team and must trust in the management team but we must be cautious with Gibbons and Proctor either way

On 20/02/2022 at 18:13, Santa said:

Need a win but a 3-3 draw would be a good omen 

82-83 promotion season?

As a kid I remember following the game on Radio Stoke - it was in the days of no full-match commentary, just occasional reports and the goal horn\klaxon to alert a change in the score.

Was unbelievable when it kept going off as Vale came from 0-3 down with 20-odd minutes left to draw.

Good old Jimmy Greenhoff! It must have been fantastic to have been there at Spotland for it (....the last 25 minutes anyway! 😆 )

On 20/02/2022 at 20:10, Biddulph_PV said:

My line up:

Holy

Smith-Hall-Jones

Gibbo-Pett-Charsley-Hussey

Wilson-Proctor-Amoo

I think Jones has to come back in, was one of our better performers pre-Xmas. Let’s see what Charsley can bring to the party in midfield. Wilson to be more withdrawn with Amoo supporting Proctor. Wozza to have a rest with performances having dipped last few weeks.

Would only change one of your team , I would play Gerraty behind Wilson and Proctor

Holy

Smith Hall Jones

Gibbo Pett Charsley Hussey

Gerraty

Wilson Proc 

Please don’t bring Jones back, he is a complete liability, gets out of position so many times: Northampton away, Bradford’s at home, Accrington at home and Sutton, imho he offers nothing whatsoever 

He offers plenty , he’s a ball playing centre half , which is needed in a back 3. He has pace, he’s good in the air and he has a long throw.
That puts a team under pressure and pins a team in their own half and stops them from clearing it into row Z.

Yes he has lapses in concentration and has a mistake in him … but then that’s why he’s a division 4 footballer , not higher.

So he does have something to offer. And will
Come back in if someone’s form dips or if there are injuries or suspensions.

8 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

He offers plenty , he’s a ball playing centre half , which is needed in a back 3. He has pace, he’s good in the air and he has a long throw.
That puts a team under pressure and pins a team in their own half and stops them from clearing it into row Z.

Yes he has lapses in concentration and has a mistake in him … but then that’s why he’s a division 4 footballer , not higher.

So he does have something to offer. And will
Come back in if someone’s form dips or if there are injuries or suspensions.

Agree. I’m starting wonder whether I’ve been watching the right player because I don’t recognise the one in some of the comments.

20 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

Would only change one of your team , I would play Gerraty behind Wilson and Proctor

Holy

Smith Hall Jones

Gibbo Pett Charsley Hussey

Gerraty

Wilson Proc 

Although we obviously haven’t seen much of Charsley, my early impressions rightly or wrongly are that he’s similar to Garrity. I fear therefore with both in there we’d have very little midfield creativity and would go direct. Amoo would I feel therefore give us a pacy outlet and a bit of creativity as well as hopefully keeping a man or two of there’s back a further 10 yards. We will see.

It's all about opinions and stuff but if you're actually arguing that Jones was poor then you've completely forgotten/misremembered a major chunk of the season (the bit where we were joint top and won 8 out of 11 and put five past League 1 teams). 

Like I see the argument that he shouldn't get in the side as Hall is good, but Dan Jones was objectively good until the Walsall game. It's not really up for debate.

Maybe recency bias having an effect as the last few games he played in he was poor.

Archived