onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best stadium visited.

boslemportvale91

32 minutes ago, Warren said:

Nou Camp. A beautiful stadium. But if I step away from football to baseball it would be what is now called the Rogers Centre in Toronto, home of the Toronto Blue Jays. 

With revolving roof open.

Sorry Camp Nou is  an outdated monstrosity owned by ego-maniacs who tried to stop me getting to work this morning. blocking all the streets 12 hours before the match.

Advert

I always enjoyed going to Fulham. A pre match pint in Putney then a stroll beside the Thames before cutting through Bishops Park to the ground. As for the ground itself it still has the traditional main stand and the quirky dressing rooms where the players emerge from the cottage in the corner. New stands for the other three sides so you get a blend of old and new. 

1 hour ago, arthurdog said:

The Bernabeu made me go Wow ! at the Spanish cup final 2006 but last year I was invited to the new Spurs stadium can't stand them but have to admit it was a seriously impressive place but I'm old school and loved all the old grounds.

I’ve done the stadium tour at the Bernabau and it is hugely impressive. No with a fear of heights should attempt the top tier!

Went to the Camp Nou in 2010. I was behind the goal on the lowest tier. It’s a big ground and it’s an experience. But it’s well overdue an upgrade and it didn’t help that it was a routine win so it wasn’t a great atmosphere.

Biggest regret was having the choice to go to the Bernabéu or the Calderon when in Madrid and they were both at home on the same night.  We picked Real instead of Atleti.

I did the tour of the Wanda Metropolitano in November and it’s some stadium. 

Best stadium for atmosphere for me is Gresty Road in the 60/70's when Vale used to go there. It was always packed for the Derby game , the Vale fans took over the "dirt end" with the stand behind the goal. The main stand was propped up with wooden beams and you could smell the liniment and hear the murmurings of the team talk as you walked past the main stand and what must have been the dressing rooms.

My mate and I used to go to Crewe sometimes on a Friday night when Vale were not playing and although the atmosphere was none existent you could still smell the liniment, almost hear the team talk and hear every word the players shouted on the pitch, hear the crunching tackles, hear the manager shout and the telephone ring in the directors box.

In terms of most impressive stadium it has to be Villa Park, how it just appears out of the rows of surrounding terrace housing like a monolith, a Cathedral, incredible.

4 hours ago, arthurdog said:

Sorry Camp Nou is  an outdated monstrosity owned by ego-maniacs who tried to stop me getting to work this morning. blocking all the streets 12 hours before the match.

Sorry for your experience of public officials and maybe club officials controlling the public space. Napoli played there Thursday. I have been to an equivalent game Liverpool v Napoli in the Champions League and that didn't bring Liverpool City centre / Anfield to a halt outside game time.

However, the Nou Camp was definitely not a monstrosity when I visited it! 

The modernised Anfield campus is a great place to be on game night under the lights. But it's not the best stadium because its evolved rather than been designed in one go in the modern era. 

Watched Borussia Dortmund at Westfalenstadion about 10 years ago. The home end - the yellow wall- brought out the goosebumps. The rest of the stadium was superb as well. Loads of parking just outside, decent snack bars and beer available. Ticket price about the same as for a game at Stafford Rangers. Seriously recommend a visit for a game if you are in Germany.

I’ve done the stadium tour at the Bernabau and it is hugely impressive. No with a fear of heights should attempt the top tier!
I've sat in the top tier to watch Real Madrid play Real Betis. Great view fantastic stadium inside and out. Even got heaters in the roof which I haven't seen in any other stadium.

Been on the top tier of the Bernabéu twice. Both were during my Erasmus year at Uni. First time was a Champions League game against Man Utd in 2000, looking right down on the roof of the net.

The other time was for a Copa Del Rey tie against Espanyol a few weeks later. I was on the open side of the ground in the days before they put a roof on it (the anfiteatro) and it was ruddy freezing up there.

Both were 0-0 draws. I’ve never seen a goal in Madrid. That includes going to watch Leganés a few months ago. Not as bad as going to Hamburg for the HSV-Pauli derby that got rained off though. 

17 hours ago, Santa said:

Went to the Camp Nou in 2010. I was behind the goal on the lowest tier. It’s a big ground and it’s an experience. But it’s well overdue an upgrade and it didn’t help that it was a routine win so it wasn’t a great atmosphere.

Biggest regret was having the choice to go to the Bernabéu or the Calderon when in Madrid and they were both at home on the same night.  We picked Real instead of Atleti.

I did the tour of the Wanda Metropolitano in November and it’s some stadium. 

A big problem for Barcelona is the age of the stadium means it has no significant boxes / corporate space. Hence the club - aside from connections - is dependent on attendances and shop sales at the stadium and around Barcelona. They are geared up for big crowds as possibly the biggest football stadium in the world. So Covid-19 was a monumental financial hit in closing the stadium and the city. 

I went there is Feb 2019 with son and daughter treating myself to expensive seats near the dugouts because it was my 60th birthday. From that area it is a beautiful stadium. I guess if I inspected a stadium as old as me in daylight I would start to see the cracks. 

Time flies - I remember going to Tranmere when the cowshed was actually a cowshed. I remember going when the Major government funded ground redevelopment post Hillsborough. So three sides of Prenton Park look new; but they are not, it is suddenly nearly 30 years ago. 

Archived