• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

If Holy is No.1 at the start of next season, wouldn't it make sense to release Stone and have Cov as 2, considering he's under contract and Stone isn't? saves money for a payoff and he's more than good enough to be no.2.

Advert:

3 hours ago, 1 said:

If Holy is No.1 at the start of next season, wouldn't it make sense to release Stone and have Cov as 2, considering he's under contract and Stone isn't? saves money for a payoff and he's more than good enough to be no.2.

I'm sure that's a bridge they will cross, but only when they come to it. At the moment Vale have three keepers, two under contract, and the future will be decided when the situation changes, probably at the end of season. 

On 13/02/2022 at 22:54, Dr Delgado said:

Funny Walker should be mentioned as I am really unsure as to his best position. I think against Carlisle he had a reasonably good game but (and it's a big but) I think he struggles against pace. Given time on the ball he can spray 40 & 50 yard passes for fun. Against Northampton i thought he was average at best, I can certainly see why he wasn't cutting it in league 1. I can't really see him getting a look in once Conlon is back. As for Martin, I think he has shown that following a steady run of games he is holding his own. On a further point has Nathan Smith's passing always been hit and miss? I've noticed a few times of late where his distribution has let him down. Smith's commitment is unquestioned in my book and I would imagine any centre forward would find him a real nuisance but I'd like his passing to improve.

I was thinking the same. I thought he was less effective in midfield against Northampton (albeit against higher quality opposition) than he was at the back. I think playing in the back three allows him time to look in front of him and pick out those long raking balls but I can understand that Clarke perhaps wants a more natural defender in Martin against the better sides. So, I wouldn't expect Martin to be in the back three on Saturday but it would be nice to see how he does if Walker is played there in other games as the season progresses. Perhaps he can develop into a ball playing centre-half? I wonder if Charsley will come into the midfield equation on Saturday - he certainly looked lively and full of energy when he came on?

15 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Naturally, more outfield players get sent off than goalkeepers, so not sure what connection there is? 

Is there any evidence for this? - I assume you mean outfield players are more likely, obviously more will be sent off by a factor of ten if they were equally likely.

• Haha 1

Is this the match thread or the goalkeeping thread .

Holy has being calm assured and generally very good up to yet his kicking if anything is too good he kicks it too long ,his throw outs are excellent I like him.cracking acquisition to the club at present Number 1 cannot see that changing .

Number 2 is Covalan for me his distribution good ,I cannot think of many goals where he was at fault for generally it's the right side of defence what has been the area where teams have benefitted from mainly this season but Martins closed that off lately with excellent positional play in thar position defensively .

Couple of sending offs but get over it what's done done let the lad get his career going again .

Stone he is OK aswell although I think he is the 3rd best of the 3 .

How far is Conlon away and Gibbons .

Watching highlights the other day and JP was good and Charsley offers a lot so maybe he will get the  nod this week but who would you leave out ?.

Walker should take all attacking free kicks in my opinion .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1

Advert:

15 minutes ago, robf said:

I was thinking the same. I thought he was less effective in midfield against Northampton (albeit against higher quality opposition) than he was at the back. I think playing in the back three allows him time to look in front of him and pick out those long raking balls but I can understand that Clarke perhaps wants a more natural defender in Martin against the better sides. So, I wouldn't expect Martin to be in the back three on Saturday but it would be nice to see how he does if Walker is played there in other games as the season progresses. Perhaps he can develop into a ball playing centre-half? I wonder if Charsley will come into the midfield equation on Saturday - he certainly looked lively and full of energy when he came on?

Agree, I think Martin will keep his place for the weekend. However, going forward I would like to see Walker in the back 3 and maybe even Gibbo at RCH. I think after Saturday we need to roll the dice a bit more and have creative options in the back 3. Walker spraying passes from the middle and Gibbo linking up with Wozza would help with this. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Walker should take all attacking free kicks in my opinion

I couldn't believe it when we Smith was taking our long free kicks on Saturday.I love Smith as a defender but he is the worst player in our team for long passes. What kind of planning is that? Poor management that was for me.

I would go a step further and say Walker should take ALL free kicks unless its on the left hand side in an advanced position then it has to be Hussey. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valiant62 said:

Is there any evidence for this? - I assume you mean outfield players are more likely, obviously more will be sent off by a factor of ten if they were equally likely.

Obviously, mathematically, more outfield players = more sent off.  I was just questioning what Gibbo's sendings off had to do with Covolan's dismissals.  The point I was making (and, seemingly DC takes the same view) is that there won't have been many keepers anywhere who have been sent-off three times in half a season and this, surely is one of the determining factors in his fall from being No.1 to now third choice?

1 minute ago, Bycarsbill said:

Obviously, mathematically, more outfield players = more sent off.  I was just questioning what Gibbo's sendings off had to do with Covolan's dismissals.  The point I was making (and, seemingly DC takes the same view) is that there won't have been many keepers anywhere who have been sent-off three times in half a season and this, surely is one of the determining factors in his fall from being No.1 to now third choice?

of course it is but I'm saying I'd like to see him brought in from the cold not that he shouldn't have been punished. I also think (historically rather like Gibbons) he's been targetted to some extent and at least one of the sendings off (in a game that didn't matter much anyway) were harsh.

Advert:

4 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

of course it is but I'm saying I'd like to see him brought in from the cold not that he shouldn't have been punished. I also think (historically rather like Gibbons) he's been targetted to some extent and at least one of the sendings off (in a game that didn't matter much anyway) were harsh.

Can't disagree with much of that, but we are where we are (or, more succinctly) Covolan is where he is-#3 in the pecking order and he's going to have to prove to DC that he can be trusted to make amends for his previous mistakes. It's a tough gig being a goalie--I know, I was one!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MBE said:

I couldn't believe it when we Smith was taking our long free kicks on Saturday.I love Smith as a defender but he is the worst player in our team for long passes. What kind of planning is that? Poor management that was for me.

I would go a step further and say Walker should take ALL free kicks unless its on the left hand side in an advanced position then it has to be Hussey. 

I hope Hussey ups his game on free kicks after that strange one against Northampton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope Hussey ups his game on free kicks after that strange one against Northampton.

It was just one of those days when all the players had a really bad day. 

Sold out the allocation sent today now so what's the following up to yet ,what did they do send another 200  well they all gone .

So I make that a 900 following up to yet going get lad and nephews soon was going hold out till Fri with the weather forecast dodgy somewhat but selling that quickly think they be gone before then so I will have get them tomoz .

UTV 

Advert:

First allocation was 700. 2nd allocation was 300 so 1000 sold. I can't go myself as I'm skint till I get paid on the 28th. I'm expecting us to take around 1500. Tranmere get big crowds got over 10k against forest green and we all now they only take 200. So if we take 1500 then there could be something like 11000 there 

31 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

First allocation was 700. 2nd allocation was 300 so 1000 sold. I can't go myself as I'm skint till I get paid on the 28th. I'm expecting us to take around 1500. Tranmere get big crowds got over 10k against forest green and we all now they only take 200. So if we take 1500 then there could be something like 11000 there 

Yes Tranmere reckon our following will be in the top 5 this season...1300-1600