onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

5 hours ago, The French Connection said:

Assuming we sign Holy at the end of the season, Cov will be on his way.  He won't want to be no. 2 or 3 at this time is his career. 

Got a feeling Cov will be back as number 2 in the next month and Stone will go on loan to a national team. DC has rightly made an example of him (the sending off was outrageous) but I’m sure he’ll want his best players available for the run in, and Cov is a better keeper than Stone. 

Advert

13 hours ago, Santa said:

We've been given 700 tickets and when my friend got ours on Friday morning, 450 had been sold.

There will be pay on the day but it goes up by £3. That end holds over 2000.

I am not getting why only 700 tickets unless the police have intervened. The Cowshed stand capacity is 2500. I say that without being to the ground recently because Tranmere have sacrificed ground capacity to facilitate much higher attendance by people with mobility / disabled issues. They are down from circa 16k to about 12k. From what my friend says, whose a season ticket holder at Tranmere, and does indeed have some mobility issues.

5 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Totally agree and he will only have himself to blame--one pre-season sending off, followed by two more in league games doesn't suggest the best!

I think Holy is by a considerable distance our best keeper and likely one of the best if not the best in League 2. Some are arguing Cov kicks well. I think sometime he has - remember a remarkable diagonal pass from outside the box v Tranmere. But actually Holy has a hell of thump and kicks it a very long way. Also against Northampton he was asked to kick out leftfield the whole game and did remarkably well to keep 80% and possibly 90% in play. Therefore I think he is consistently accurate as well. I concede I don't think he is duel footed beyond a basic lump it with his standing leg. 

3 hours ago, MBE said:

With all the rain expected this week I hope the drainage is better than at Salford.

Chairman has said pitch is holding up well. They have invested £150k in lights to make it grow and overcome the shadow issues caused by the Bebbington Kop and the Main Stand. So they'll be confident. However, I have lived on the Wirral long enough and been to Prenton Park often enough to know that the pitch has inherent problems over many years and even the heroic efforts to improve matters may not work in a big downpour. There is a lot of will to turn around the pitch at Prenton Park by demolishing the Main Stand which is now very old to be in that role. But that would require significant investment and its not clear in the new stay at home world post Covid-19 a ground transformation would pay for itself. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I am not getting why only 700 tickets unless the police have intervened. The Cowshed stand capacity is 2500. I say that without being to the ground recently because Tranmere have sacrificed ground capacity to facilitate much higher attendance by people with mobility / disabled issues. They are down from circa 16k to about 12k. From what my friend says, whose a season ticket holder at Tranmere, and does indeed have some mobility issues.

700 was an initial allocation. More will be forthcoming. I remember going to Prenton Park when it used to be the home end and it was very similar to the pointy roofed stand they still have behind the goal at Carlisle.

Worth bearing in mind for anyone coming via Lime Street that Liverpool are at home and kick off at 3.00 on Saturday. 

If Holy is No.1 at the start of next season, wouldn't it make sense to release Stone and have Cov as 2, considering he's under contract and Stone isn't? saves money for a payoff and he's more than good enough to be no.2.

3 hours ago, 1 said:

If Holy is No.1 at the start of next season, wouldn't it make sense to release Stone and have Cov as 2, considering he's under contract and Stone isn't? saves money for a payoff and he's more than good enough to be no.2.

I'm sure that's a bridge they will cross, but only when they come to it. At the moment Vale have three keepers, two under contract, and the future will be decided when the situation changes, probably at the end of season. 

On 13/02/2022 at 22:54, Dr Delgado said:

Funny Walker should be mentioned as I am really unsure as to his best position. I think against Carlisle he had a reasonably good game but (and it's a big but) I think he struggles against pace. Given time on the ball he can spray 40 & 50 yard passes for fun. Against Northampton i thought he was average at best, I can certainly see why he wasn't cutting it in league 1. I can't really see him getting a look in once Conlon is back. As for Martin, I think he has shown that following a steady run of games he is holding his own. On a further point has Nathan Smith's passing always been hit and miss? I've noticed a few times of late where his distribution has let him down. Smith's commitment is unquestioned in my book and I would imagine any centre forward would find him a real nuisance but I'd like his passing to improve.

I was thinking the same. I thought he was less effective in midfield against Northampton (albeit against higher quality opposition) than he was at the back. I think playing in the back three allows him time to look in front of him and pick out those long raking balls but I can understand that Clarke perhaps wants a more natural defender in Martin against the better sides. So, I wouldn't expect Martin to be in the back three on Saturday but it would be nice to see how he does if Walker is played there in other games as the season progresses. Perhaps he can develop into a ball playing centre-half? I wonder if Charsley will come into the midfield equation on Saturday - he certainly looked lively and full of energy when he came on?

15 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Naturally, more outfield players get sent off than goalkeepers, so not sure what connection there is? 

Is there any evidence for this? - I assume you mean outfield players are more likely, obviously more will be sent off by a factor of ten if they were equally likely.

Is this the match thread or the goalkeeping thread .

Holy has being calm assured and generally very good up to yet his kicking if anything is too good he kicks it too long ,his throw outs are excellent I like him.cracking acquisition to the club at present Number 1 cannot see that changing .

Number 2 is Covalan for me his distribution good ,I cannot think of many goals where he was at fault for generally it's the right side of defence what has been the area where teams have benefitted from mainly this season but Martins closed that off lately with excellent positional play in thar position defensively .

Couple of sending offs but get over it what's done done let the lad get his career going again .

Stone he is OK aswell although I think he is the 3rd best of the 3 .

How far is Conlon away and Gibbons .

Watching highlights the other day and JP was good and Charsley offers a lot so maybe he will get the  nod this week but who would you leave out ?.

Walker should take all attacking free kicks in my opinion .

UTV 

15 minutes ago, robf said:

I was thinking the same. I thought he was less effective in midfield against Northampton (albeit against higher quality opposition) than he was at the back. I think playing in the back three allows him time to look in front of him and pick out those long raking balls but I can understand that Clarke perhaps wants a more natural defender in Martin against the better sides. So, I wouldn't expect Martin to be in the back three on Saturday but it would be nice to see how he does if Walker is played there in other games as the season progresses. Perhaps he can develop into a ball playing centre-half? I wonder if Charsley will come into the midfield equation on Saturday - he certainly looked lively and full of energy when he came on?

Agree, I think Martin will keep his place for the weekend. However, going forward I would like to see Walker in the back 3 and maybe even Gibbo at RCH. I think after Saturday we need to roll the dice a bit more and have creative options in the back 3. Walker spraying passes from the middle and Gibbo linking up with Wozza would help with this. 

Archived