onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

So, that's the keeper sorted.....ish. Martin stays at centre half? He will need to be dominant in the air at the back. I think he can do that. My worry is when the ball is high and drops in front he does some weird stuff to clear it. I feel the alternatives are to change shape or to move Walker there again. I don't think Hall or Smith can be dropped. On balance stay as is. 

Advert

Funny Walker should be mentioned as I am really unsure as to his best position. I think against Carlisle he had a reasonably good game but (and it's a big but) I think he struggles against pace. Given time on the ball he can spray 40 & 50 yard passes for fun. Against Northampton i thought he was average at best, I can certainly see why he wasn't cutting it in league 1. I can't really see him getting a look in once Conlon is back. As for Martin, I think he has shown that following a steady run of games he is holding his own. On a further point has Nathan Smith's passing always been hit and miss? I've noticed a few times of late where his distribution has let him down. Smith's commitment is unquestioned in my book and I would imagine any centre forward would find him a real nuisance but I'd like his passing to improve.

37 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

Funny Walker should be mentioned as I am really unsure as to his best position. I think against Carlisle he had a reasonably good game but (and it's a big but) I think he struggles against pace. Given time on the ball he can spray 40 & 50 yard passes for fun. Against Northampton i thought he was average at best, I can certainly see why he wasn't cutting it in league 1. I can't really see him getting a look in once Conlon is back. As for Martin, I think he has shown that following a steady run of games he is holding his own. On a further point has Nathan Smith's passing always been hit and miss? I've noticed a few times of late where his distribution has let him down. Smith's commitment is unquestioned in my book and I would imagine any centre forward would find him a real nuisance but I'd like his passing to improve.

Tranmere could mark up to stop Worrall and Hussey and then Vale will have to play down the middle if the ball is played out from the back. In which case the back three and particularly Smith have to offer some accurate short and long passing. Also the midfield won't be allowed much time on the ball - less than at Vale park. I worry that we will then hit a pile of long straight balls that are easy to defend or go straight out. The back three have to be able to bring the ball out confidently, drag a Tranmere player to them and then pass accurately or they have to be able to play a longer diagonal pass. 

If we can't do that then the ball will be up in the sky from the keeper and we will have to win in the air or get second balls. 

Another factor here is the state of the Tranmere pitch. In past seasons it has become a sandpit and I'm not sure where they are at presently. Obviously a sandpit leads to a 1970s game on the deck with a dribbler setting off down what's left that can be dribbled on and / or balls to target man to hold up. A sandpit is different to the problems with Vale's pitch. Because it's Winter and wet a sandpit won't mature into a building site yet!

9 hours ago, Dr Delgado said:

Smith on sat played one of the best balls in the game on sat first half .

But generally is passing is slow and laboured feel he  is having ok games at present defensively sound in the 3 at back however he needs to work on getting free more from set pieces as all the back 3 need too at Carlisle he as got free and headed wide but against Northampton all 3 of them were not winning that ball when it comes in as season progresses we need be winning the first balls coming in off corners and set pieces and create some panic in opposition penalty areas .

As for Walker what you see is what you get I like him at least he plays with his head up and Glenn Hoddle used hit 50 years passes to a team mate ,bit slow really is he I do not think he is v Brentford and Swindon with Walker not playing getting shots in from outside the area (the opposition scoring 7 times in them games )with Walker in the team Forest Green and Northampton 1st and 3rd in league having zilch shots outside the area .

He is a good one .

I'd be tempted put D Jones back in for his passing ,his long throws (what have led to goals down the line v Forest Green away for one )and his general all round excellence .

Bennings not heard off anymore or Hurst but we will play Worrall all the time and lately he creates very little in home games but always selected yes he is good but come on if after 60 mins he has not put one on someone's head or put one across the box on the floor that cannot be missed  get him off and put someone on who can 

UTV 

16 hours ago, Warren said:

Holy is higher level keeper. Played 150 games at League 1. He looks much stronger. One thing to notice is that he isn't diving around and that is because a} he takes good position. b} he makes the opposition miss because of his size. 

Interesting that Covolan is now looking very much the third choice goalie!

3 hours ago, The French Connection said:

Assuming we sign Holy at the end of the season, Cov will be on his way.  He won't want to be no. 2 or 3 at this time is his career. 

Totally agree and he will only have himself to blame--one pre-season sending off, followed by two more in league games doesn't suggest the best!

Archived