Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, Rodge said:

Was it announced how many SVA were there? We were right at the back behind the goal and it looked a great following

1286 according to Vale’s twitter which is less than I expected.

Advert:

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

Imagine if they had Upto 5 of their best players injured for several games they may have struggled for even more form and consistency during that period , say from November to January

You are right though us having our best player injured yesterday was key

Did I mention our past form? I was focussing on Tranmere.

Of course they would have struggled as would any side in the division. Nobody is denying that and it wasn’t the point I was making. Spearing is clearly there best player and they’ve lost the two games against two poor sides without him recently, without scoring. That was the point that I was making. I thought we were poor yesterday. 1 shot on target in the 94th minute and 45 mins of long ball isn’t ideal in my opinion, especially with the quality of players we now have. Character was brilliant and we did well last 15 mins and in the end a good point. That Dosent mean I’m being negative that I thought we didn’t play too well and thought we should have gone there and attacked them. It was a close game but Tranmere had enough chances to be a little ahead. Good to stay unbeaten but we do need to kick on now - we have players back fit other than Conlon so we need to start catching up. 

Did I mention our past form? I was focussing on Tranmere.
Of course they would have struggled as would any side in the division. Nobody is denying that and it wasn’t the point I was making. Spearing is clearly there best player and they’ve lost the two games against two poor sides without him recently, without scoring. That was the point that I was making. I thought we were poor yesterday. 1 shot on target in the 94th minute and 45 mins of long ball isn’t ideal in my opinion, especially with the quality of players we now have. Character was brilliant and we did well last 15 mins and in the end a good point. That Dosent mean I’m being negative that I thought we didn’t play too well and thought we should have gone there and attacked them. It was a close game but Tranmere had enough chances to be a little ahead. Good to stay unbeaten but we do need to kick on now - we have players back fit other than Conlon so we need to start catching up. 

You fully understand why we struggled for form though and are just starting to find some consistency though , that’s great
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Big difference this time is though you know we would go out and invest or look to try and adequately replace any of these players rather than sign a cheap replacement that weakens us.

Think Procs would stay, Conlon would make us good money if he went to reinvest (and I trust they would).

Issue there is would the budget then stretch to bring in a player of the level of Gibbons / Conlon? We know how the club is now operating. I’d be surprised if we could sign someone ready made to replace those two and at the same level. That’s the issue for me. I think this is our best chance to go up - it’s not demanding immediate success as some seem to insinuate it’s realising that the league will be more difficult next season and I do worry if the likes of Stockport / Wrexham do get promoted then potentially that’s two slots gone. (I know money Dosent guarantee success eg Salford) but these two seem to be signing very good players and have strong squads currently. 

Im very happy with our progress, we have come a very long way in a short space of time I do just worry that we could lose our better players and have it more challenging next season as well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I don’t think it’s a great ask to be thinking in terms of the top 3 rather than the top 7. But that’s typical Vale fans mentality.

If you listen to interviews, pre and post match, the clubs are still thinking top 3. Rightly so. It's only Vale fans who seem to be writing the team off for some bizarre reason, even though we have plenty go games in hand, key players coming back from injury, and a favourable remaining fixture list.

Yes out attacking play needs improvement but it will get better.

• Like 2

Advert:

20 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

Comes a time when both sets of fans chant the same thing at the Ref.  You don't know what your doing 🤣

He is trying so hard to make the game about himself again.  Just no flow to the game as he keeps blowing up.

Thankfully,he got the added time right.

Appreciate the condescending reply. Thanks. 

It wasn’t meant to be , but I’m mindful that I’m awful with the written word , at work I let others check emails before I send them if it’s a sensitive matter as I wind people up

I’m not like this face to face
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

It wasn’t meant to be , but I’m mindful that I’m awful with the written word , at work I let others check emails before I send them if it’s a sensitive matter as I wind people up

I’m not like this face to face emoji106.png

Fair enough my bad 👍

• Like 1

Advert:

12 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Your mistake was in expressing an opinion that didn’t quite fit the narrative of some on here.

My favourite argument ever.

The old “Everyone’s opinion is important… unless it’s against my view in things, in which case they shouldn’t have one” argument!

It’s a football forum pal… court of popular opinion by its very definition. 

If you can’t take strangers criticising your view this just might not be the place for you!

Its all good fun!

UTV

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

Absolutely loved the fight shown from Vale yesterday even if the quality wasn't always there for periods of the game. Absolutely delighted Gibbo is back and that cross with his wrong foot as well was a beauty. I'd be tempted for Rochdale to give Gibbo the start if he feels good to go and let Worrall have a very well earned rest ahead of Saturday.

Overall in short time we've played all the top 3 and looked every bit the equal of all of them. That has to be encouraging but it needs backing up against the lesser opponents starting Tuesday. Given the injuries, cancellations and covid all I wanted when we came out the other side is for us to still be in with a shot and we've done that. It's in our hands where we go from here.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

My favourite argument ever.

The old “Everyone’s opinion is important… unless it’s against me then they shouldn’t have one” argument!

It’s a football forum pal… court of popular opinion by its very definition. 

If you can’t take strangers criticising your view this just might not be the place for you!

I’m not sure whether you’re being ironic with this post or not??! Nonetheless it’s getting a bit boring now. 

You hold your opinion pal and I’ll hold mine.

And in both our interests, let’s hope for a successful* conclusion to season (*using your own definition of what constitutes success)

• Confused 1