onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

18 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:
Not disagreeing with you but haven’t tranmere just come of the back of 2 defeats against the mighty Walsall and Hartlepool 

Last home game was a pasting of Swindle 3-0 and the mighty McKirdy (1 + 2 ass today.)

The one before that was a 4-0 thumping by  FGR 

Advert

36 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Why are you so set on instant success? 

Steady, sustainable improvement that builds a foundation on which the club improves sounds great to me… especially when you consider how badly treated the club was.

Turning around an institution after years of neglect isn’t easy… I’m stunned at how quickly Carol, DC and Flickers have managed to do it!

Do you believe that football is such a simple concept that they should actually just sit down at the start of the year and compare budgets and decide the league that way?

I get you are eager for success… bit of logical thinking on top of that hunger and you would be happy with where the club is at!

UTV

I’d hardly call it instant! This is, what, the 3rd season in for C&K and it’s, what 6 seasons in the bottom tier? So I’d hardly say that’s impatient. 

And I get the ‘years of neglect’ from Smurthwaite, the Bratt Pack and end, in the latter years, Billy Bell. 

And yes, I also get that football isn’t played on spreadsheets and pie charts. But even Askey (although Christ knows what happened post the Tranmere 3-4 as its seemed everyone just downed tools) and Aspin got us at least competitive with much less backing that DC has had so personally I don’t think it’s a great ask to be thinking in terms of the top 3 rather than the top 7. But that’s typical Vale fans mentality. 

The ‘strong foundation’ is also a myth in the Bosman era. You might for example, say that we have a ‘solid foundation’ with the likes of Smith, Gibbo, Conlon forming the spine of our team. Arguably our best players? But what’s the average length left on these contracts?? Not much. If Gibbo hadn’t have broken at Orient he’d have been gone by 31 Jan, make no mistake. How many of that long-term spine would you expect to see in Vale shirt next year? Worrall maybe. 

Plus this year is a golden opportunity. Next will be tougher, no doubt. Possibly conference moneybags Wrexham and Stockport, Salford likely to spend and attract big (especially if they get their move to the AJ Bell Stadium), you’d think Bradford will come again, plus any of this years challengers like Mansfield, Swindon, Northampton or Tranmere that miss out, not to mention teams coming down (Crewe, Donny etc).

I just feel we’re not giving particularly inspiring performances and leaving ourselves with too much to do this year. We’ve basically got to win 2 out of every 3 games until the end of the season to stand a chance of being top 3. I just don’t see it at the moment I’m afraid. 

32 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

It does

We have a great defensive record.

It had us 2nd in the league before the injuries kicked in.

Only 6 teams have scored more than us this year and we have played without recognised strikers for a significant period.

The sides 1st, 2nd and 3rd have failed to beat us in the last few weeks.

I get people prefer the idea of 4 at the back… but to say the 3/5 at the back hasn’t worked is just factually wrong. 

On fire tonight. Loving the clear head, logic, research, and bigger picture viewpoints put forward

And this is the Port Vale mentality. If you criticise any aspect of performances you're just labelled a "moaner".
Today was far from a disaster and a point is decent. But there's been a noticable lack of quality going forward that goes far beyond just this game.
Take Gibbo, Conlon Proctor and Wilson out of any 11 in this league and they'd look a lot worse offensively. Lo and behold, Wilson coming back has 'coincided' with an upturn in form. Get Proctor and the other 2 back and I'm pretty certain the offensive problem will miraculously resolve itself.

Wont be a popular post but i cant believe some of the posts during the match,yes it wasn't good stuff but lets put a bit of reality in there,for me this result never meant anything today.....it is clear that according to radio some tragedy has hit DC this week and football pales in to insignificance 
Thinking of you Gaffer

This. There’s a couple of posters that embarrassed themselves on the thread today.

10 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’d hardly call it instant! This is, what, the 3rd season in for C&K and it’s, what 6 seasons in the bottom tier? So I’d hardly say that’s impatient. 

And I get the ‘years of neglect’ from Smurthwaite, the Bratt Pack and end, in the latter years, Billy Bell. 

And yes, I also get that football isn’t played on spreadsheets and pie charts. But even Askey (although Christ knows what happened post the Tranmere 3-4 as its seemed everyone just downed tools) and Aspin got us at least competitive with much less backing that DC has had so personally I don’t think it’s a great ask to be thinking in terms of the top 3 rather than the top 7. But that’s typical Vale fans mentality. 

The ‘strong foundation’ is also a myth in the Bosman era. You might for example, say that we have a ‘solid foundation’ with the likes of Smith, Gibbo, Conlon forming the spine of our team. Arguably our best players? But what’s the average length left on these contracts?? Not much. If Gibbo hadn’t have broken at Orient he’d have been gone by 31 Jan, make no mistake. How many of that long-term spine would you expect to see in Vale shirt next year? Worrall maybe. 

Plus this year is a golden opportunity. Next will be tougher, no doubt. Possibly conference moneybags Wrexham and Stockport, Salford likely to spend and attract big (especially if they get their move to the AJ Bell Stadium), you’d think Bradford will come again, plus any of this years challengers like Mansfield, Swindon, Northampton or Tranmere that miss out, not to mention teams coming down (Crewe, Donny etc).

I just feel we’re not giving particularly inspiring performances and leaving ourselves with too much to do this year. 

So many holes in this…

DC and Flickers haven’t been here 3 seasons… it’s been 12 months and our win ratio is around 45%

Where in the investment numbers does it guarantee you no injuries?

You mention Mansfield and Salford… I’m not sure if you get the irony in that but trust me that sentence alone is dripping in the stuff.

it boils down to the fact that because we haven't smashed 1st, 2nd and 3rd with some key players out you seem to believe we should all just pack up and call this a failure… mental.

As you say… it’s all just opinions. Mine is that you are looking at this all wrong. But, it’s yours and that’s fair enough.

Have more faith. 

28 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

So many holes in this…

DC and Flickers haven’t been here 3 seasons… it’s been 12 months and our win ratio is around 45%

Where in the investment numbers does it guarantee you no injuries?

You mention Mansfield and Salford… I’m not sure if you get the irony in that but trust me that sentence alone is dripping in the stuff.

it boils down to the fact that because we haven't smashed 1st, 2nd and 3rd with some key players out you seem to believe we should all just pack up and call this a failure… mental.

As you say… it’s all just opinions. Mine is that you are looking at this all wrong. But, it’s yours and that’s fair enough.

Have more faith. 

Speaking of holes….

I never said DC & DF have been here 3 seasons.

Injuries… weren’t these all supposed down to Askey’s training methods? Oh, maybe not. Nonetheless I concede we’ve been unlucky there but equally think we missed a chance to at least partially address some of this in January.

And if we’re being brutal, then I would see finishing outside the top 3 disappointing and outside the top 7 a failure. It’s called ambition. Maybe I’m in the minority amongst Vale fans on the that front.

I hope to God we put a run together that sees us in the top 3, or failing that, top 7.  As I sit here now, I don’t see us troubling the top 3. Maybe the top 7, but I wouldn’t fancy us to win the Play-offs on current performances. So I’m expecting another season in L2 next year. And yes, I’ll still renew.

We could argue about this until the cows come home but we’ll see who’s right at the end of the season and I’d absolutely love to be proved wrong.

49 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I just feel we’re not giving particularly inspiring performances and leaving ourselves with too much to do this year. We’ve basically got to win 2 out of every 3 games until the end of the season to stand a chance of being top 3. I just don’t see it at the moment I’m afraid. 

Just as a matter of interest when was your most satisfying, rewarding and fulfilling period of time supporting our club? 

41 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

First task was to steady the ship and finances, then decide how to run the club, at the same time keeping us in the FL. Fortunately Flinty came on the scene to chart a path. For a change  we have  spent the season looking upwards,  with a good wind we may reach L1, if not we will be in a better position next season to do do. Not fair to count seasons under a different rule.

Archived