onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

38 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Really?? Why do you think that?? Given Carol’s rather generous investment, effectively allowing us to have not just one but two experienced ‘managers’ plus a vastly improved coaching set up and squad budget, top 7 should be the absolute minimum requirement for me, and I’d expect (yes, EXPECT) a third place or better.

Why are you so set on instant success? 

Steady, sustainable improvement that builds a foundation on which the club improves sounds great to me… especially when you consider how badly treated the club was.

Turning around an institution after years of neglect isn’t easy… I’m stunned at how quickly Carol, DC and Flickers have managed to do it!

Do you believe that football is such a simple concept that they should actually just sit down at the start of the year and compare budgets and decide the league that way?

I get you are eager for success… bit of logical thinking on top of that hunger and you would be happy with where the club is at!

UTV

Not read any of this thread through but one things for certain, our performances are hideous to watch currently! We are still towards the top but my god it’s boring. With the exception of the Forest Green game, well first half at least. 

Take the point but ffs lads liven up a bit! Hopefully getting a few players back now so entertainment may be increased. 

It’s a good point in the end. But it’s one we should have turned up with a much more attack minded gameplan. Far too much long balls for me. It’s all well and good saying Tranmere have been good at home ect. Facts are they are in poor form, lost to two poor sides recently and have their best player injured. It’s a good point in the end but I can’t help feeling we could have had 3 had we tried to play some football. 

I know we use different tactics for different sides. Forest Green we were fantastic with our pressing, Tranmere may have lumped it long today to Hemmings had we pressed, but surely having 3 centre halves all excellent in the air would be sufficient for this? Just too many long aimless balls imo, it’s a tactic that makes literally no sense. 

We start the game with Harratt up top against Clarke who has always been great in the air - but is slow. Yet we proceed to launch the ball to him, he’s was never going to win any header. Instead the ball was just coming straight back and not sticking up top.  2nd half with Proctor on it makes more sense. All for us mixing our play up but the team selection has to match that. Walkers long balls were decent - it was the rest mainly from Hussey and Holy which were just launched to nobody time and time again. 

I know Tranmere and Northampton have excellent defensive records, but we didn’t test them at all. The two times they were tested today we scored and missed a sitter. I just think sometimes we under rate ourselves.

I thought it was a poor showing from us, but the character and effort was there for all to see. Hopefully with Gibbo and Proctor back we can start scoring more freely again.

Massive week for us. I’d still love to see us ditch this back 3/5 it Dosent benefit us any way. 
433 please 

Holy

Gibbo Smith Hall Hussey

Walker Pett Garrity

Worrall Proctor Wilson 

15 minutes ago, osprey said:

Great number of supporters there today

But did some of our ‘fans’ really need to break seats and throw them on the field after we scored???

hate to see that 

Yeah seen on Facebook someone got hit in the face with one. Our superbly clever fans have proceeded to say that’s what happens on away days, that’s what happens with a 94th min goal ect. Cretins. 

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I’d still love to see us ditch this back 3/5 it Dosent benefit us any way. 
433 please 

Worrall Proctor Wilson 

It does

We have a great defensive record.

It had us 2nd in the league before the injuries kicked in.

Only 6 teams have scored more than us this year and we have played without recognised strikers for a significant period.

The sides 1st, 2nd and 3rd have failed to beat us in the last few weeks.

I get people prefer the idea of 4 at the back… but to say the 3/5 at the back hasn’t worked is just factually wrong. 

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Because it was a must-win game for me IF we have any aspirations of sneaking into the autos which, to be honest, I think should be the aim but which I feel are beyond us.

I didn’t realise that it was a necessity to have attended every game to make generalist comments (on this game the BBC online stats will tell you we’ve scored with our only effort on target). 

Well, that's simply not true. Hall's header a few minutes before the goal for instance...

Overall, we still have a great chance to get into the play off's and not impossible to get auto promotion.

I agree that overall goal scoring of late has dried up a bit but when you consider who we have been playing, new players in, players out injured and many points still available, I am confident that the season will turn out ok. Before the season started, Mansfield, Northampton and Bristol Rovers were my top 3 with PVFC in fifth. 
My faith in the club is still bright and I am encouraged by our progress. If we don't make promotion, of course I will be disappointed, but after 54 years of supporting Vale, now isn't the time to give up.

Sure we lack a bit of quality at times and indeed luck, but as shown by the terrific support given today, I'm sure players and coaching staff will be busting a gut to achieve.

Crosby tonight spoke about Conlon's rallying speech in the dressing room. This demonstrates the commitment to the cause.

Bring on the next few projects and let's wait  to see where we go?

VTID

1 hour ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Cannot understand posters on here , not to mention RS's favourite Carl, who say our season is over.

Granted top 3 is beginning to look tricky [ although far from impossible},  but play offs are defiantly still on surely?  Top players returning, who may be fresher come the play offs.

An away draw at a top club with players still missing - and still plenty of moaners!  Hey ho.

Thoughts also with DC tonight ,  hope the result helped ever so slightly.

And this is the Port Vale mentality. If you criticise any aspect of performances you're just labelled a "moaner".

Today was far from a disaster and a point is decent. But there's been a noticable lack of quality going forward that goes far beyond just this game.

Archived